Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about building one of those vertical wind tunnels that they use to practice freefall. I was wondering just how much money it would take to build one. And thinking about how many friends that I can get to divide the costs between.

Obviously it would be quite expensive for me to build one for myself. But what if I could get 20 or 30 guys together? Hmmn. Now it's starting to sound possible.

I'm talking about buying a small piece of property with 20 or 30 names on the deed. I really don't know what that would entail. We would definately need to prepare for the inevitable arguments that are going to come up between the group members. I think we'd need to establish rules, comittees, etc. Basically a little goverment that has the power to maintain order. We would definately need a lawyer.

So, what do you think? Any guesses on costs?

I believe that one of these that I saw on TV lately had 5 125hp electric motors driving the fans. I haven't even started to figure out what that would mean for per hour costs to run.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You're looking at mucho dinero for start-up costs. The materials alone for the fans and the walls will cost you well over 50,000, and I don't know where you live, but property is very expensive around here. I think you'd be looking at like $100,000+ to get this thing started, plus all the business and building costs for permits...

What would the purpose for this be?

JR

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recreation.

I was guessing $200,000 start up, including about a $10-20,000 chunk of property (an acre or two within 2 hours of my house, but out in the boonies).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts