Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought the new Fram Air Hog filter yet?

I have seen ads on TV and looked at one at walmart. I think they were about $25.00 or so. They didn't look too bad

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
im sure that they give more flow but i havent tried them just do a hai or a cai if ur looking for more flow

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I haven't tried one but i would suggest if you are going to spend 25 bucks on one consider spending an additional 10-15 on a K&N which you can clean, reoil, and reuse. I've been very happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
If its not reusable then spend the couple extra bucks and get a K&N filter. To be honest the MotorCraft will make just as much power and cost less than half as much as the K&N/Air Hog.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Speaking of Motorcraft filters, anyone want one. The dealer gave me a free one due to the recall. They saw my K&N and gave me a filter in the box on my seat. :lol2:
Personaly, I feel that the disposable filters begin to clog after about 2,000 miles or so. The K&N is a cheaper alternative in the long run, just as Amsoil($60/year or 35,000 miles) is. But we will leave Amsoil for another discusion.

·
Banned
509 Posts
the AirHog is reuseable.. ALSO.. Using a WAI for more air flow really wont do anything.. because the Taurus doesnt breath like a huge V8.. So there isnt TOO much of a difference..

·
Registered
341 Posts
so you're saying that one shouldn't even bother with a K&N air filter? that in a 3.0 taurus it doesn't make any sense? I'm not really looking for power (my bull gots plenty of kick) so much as I am fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 3 2004, 04:38 AM
so you're saying that one shouldn't even bother with a K&N air filter? that in a 3.0 taurus it doesn't make any sense? I'm not really looking for power (my bull gots plenty of kick) so much as I am fuel economy.
I got a K&N panel filter about three weeks ago, and I'm loving it. I've definitely noticed increased pickup and highway acceleration, and my gas mileage has increased from about 22 mpg to around 25 mpg, same driving conditions. Don't go with the Fram...just spend the $45 and get the K&N...million mile warranty is pretty bada$$ and I really like the additional airflow...

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Alright. I'm all about fuel economy. Screw power...I got 200 ponies under the hood...that's enough :)

Thanks for the advice and the recommendation. I was looking for people with good experiences before I shell out $50 for an air filter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Look at any racing venue, what is the one thing in common, K&N filter, at the Very first SHO Convention, Vito from what was then Ford SVO, said a K&N filter will help every car or truck, even if it was your Grandpa's Crown Vic, buy the filter, keep it cleaned and oiled, your engine will live longer, and every now and then DC CAR CARE even puts them on sale www.dccarcare.com

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 3 2004, 07:26 AM
what do you mean keep it oiled? I've never had one (obviously). is there a lot of maintenance to having a K&N?
The K&N filters use oil to assist in filtering the air that goes through it.When you purchase one it will either come pre-oiled or it will come with the oil you need to oil it.

They are reusable because you can get a "recharge" kit that includes a cleaning solutuion and an aerosol can of oil to reoil the filter.

I'm drawing a blank right now on how often you should clean it but when you do re-oil it make sure you don't use to much oil (a little goes along way). If you get too much oil on the filter, oil can end up on the MAF wire and that is a big NO NO.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Actually all KN Filters come pre-oiled and ready to go. As for how often you need to clean it. KN says something like 60,000 miles, but I'll be cleaning mine after about 30,000.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
My K&N cone filter is in the fenderwell and it gets quite a bit more dirt and road grit than a panel filter in the airbox would. Still, I only think it's necessary to clean it once or twice a year. Remember, the dirtier it gets, the better it filters. And it would take quite some time to get so dirty that it actually impeded airflow more than a regular paper filter. I would say every 20K or so should be sufficient. The recharge kit will last you 100K+... I hardly used any cleaner or oil the first couple times I recharged my K&Ns.

BTW, there are DOZENS of different high-flow filter brands that use cotton gauze and oil. K&N, Accel Cool Blue, Barry Grant, Green Filter, Airaid, Jet Powr-Flo, Holley Power Shot, Summit Racing makes their own version--Ford Racing even collaborated with K&N to develop a line of hi-perf air filters for most Ford applications. And that doesn't even include all the generic and "parts store" brands, like S&B, Spectre, APC, etc.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jun 3 2004, 09:24 AM
My K&N cone filter is in the fenderwell and it gets quite a bit more dirt and road grit than a panel filter in the airbox would. Still, I only think it's necessary to clean it once or twice a year. Remember, the dirtier it gets, the better it filters. And it would take quite some time to get so dirty that it actually impeded airflow more than a regular paper filter. I would say every 20K or so should be sufficient. The recharge kit will last you 100K+... I hardly used any cleaner or oil the first couple times I recharged my K&Ns.

BTW, there are DOZENS of different high-flow filter brands that use cotton gauze and oil. K&N, Accel Cool Blue, Barry Grant, Green Filter, Airaid, Jet Powr-Flo, Holley Power Shot, Summit Racing makes their own version--Ford Racing even collaborated with K&N to develop a line of hi-perf air filters for most Ford applications. And that doesn't even include all the generic and "parts store" brands, like S&B, Spectre, APC, etc.
My mom has a 2003 Mustang Convertible with V6...It has a cone filter. It this one of the Ford/K&N cone filters that you speak of?

JR

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looking at the Fram air hog site it looks like a K&N to me. It is washable, it uses oil impregnated cotton, and the cleaning procedure is the same. I don't know if it's any better or worse (I can't find any reviews anywhere on the web), so I guess one of us will have to be the guinea pig. Considering it's half the price of a K&N, does the old "you get what you pay for" apply here too? I've never had any problems with Fram products, so what would change here?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah I hit autozone.com to price a K&N for my 97 duratec...$56 frocking dollars. That's wayyyyyyyy too much for an air filter. I'll try the FRAM or one of the cheapies first...I mean, they all do the same thing, don't they?

I thought about ripping off my filter box and installing a cone filter, but I haven't decided yet. Anybody have any bad experiences using a cone filter on the end of the stock air hose?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 3 2004, 11:37 AM
I thought about ripping off my filter box and installing a cone filter, but I haven't decided yet.  Anybody have any bad experiences using a cone filter on the end of the stock air hose?
Other then sucking in hot engine air, i never heard any complaints for other that have done this. Depending on how much you want to spend though you can custom make a CAI to draw in cold air from the front of the fenderwell and still use a cone filter so you will be getting cold air instead of hot air.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I haven't used it, but it's very comparable to K&N, because it's made from cotton fiber and it's reusable and it's much cheaper.

I clean my filter once per month, only because my intake tube starts at the front of the grill and the filter gets really dirty a lot faster, but there is much more horse power with this set up vesus having a cone dangling in the fender well. The faster I go, the more horse power I gain. I've used a conical air filter for a long time and I've switched back and forth to the air box. The air box with the modified tube actually works better, but I prefer the conical air filter in an enclosed air box because it sucks air from the top and 360 degrees at all times instead of just a 3" diameter of a very large panel filter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm thinking about going back to my "ram air" setup. I miss the extra power it gave me at higher speeds. It's amazing how it really changed the feel of the car. Too bad I cut the tube, so I'll have to steal the one out of my MPV. I took it out last weekend because of the issues people have been having with drowning their cars. I had my "scoop" mounted low on the front of the car and my filter tended to get a little damp after driving in the rain.

mykej, where do you have your intake tube ran to? Is it ran low by the trans cooler or high behind the grille?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts