Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Found This On Cordclub.com

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  biteableniles 
#1 ·
Older Accords used the simple system of brake rotor attachment like most modern cars, rotor located in place by some small screws, and then held by the wheel. I did my '84 myself with no problems, the rotors are just held on by the small screws. But the 92 and others use a different system. The shop my daughter went to Pep Boys has a $114 extra charge for this model, as it uses"non-separable axles", and requires a lot of extra labor. Several other shops had the same response. Cost her $335 for the job, which had to include new rotors. It almost has to be done by a pro. This isn't the only expensive job on that Accord. The timing belts cost a lot to replace, there is a timing belt and a balance shaft belt, and you pretty much have to replace the water pump as it requires the same difficult and expensive procedure to get at it, as it runs off the timing belt The distributors were widely defective on the 92's also, and requires replacement of the whole distributor. The original was of poor quality and the bearings would wear out and the unit fail (dealer verified this). I replaced her's myself to the tune of about $200, a special price from Honda as it is a known problem. Her interior door handles etc are falling apart, need to get new ones. My wife has a Ford Taurus and hasn't had a cent spent on it, no timing belts, no brakes, no bad distributor, no valve adjustments. Just oil change, gas, and go. Plus the Vulcan V6 is quieter and more powerful than her Accord 4 and was standard equipment. It feels tighter and tracks better too. Accords have too much brand loyalty, I call em as I see'em.[/b]

#2 ·
Its been proven again and again, DOMESTIC owners tend to be able to work on their cars and maybe recognize the real problems and such.

IMPORT owners, for the most part, arent the smartest or realistic people so they go to a shop, leave the car, come back and pay an arm and 4 toes and they dont think about it.

Soooo, look at this board or tempo or impala or grand prix boards, most of the guys on these forums know their s***! Go to most import boards and there are lots of stickers and stupid questions!
Of course, when you can diagnose it yourself, do your own work, and then post on a board like this, any problem gets more exposure. When somebody just goes to a shop and doesnt think twice about the work, he/she isnt going to tell almost anybody.

#3 ·
I've been doing alot of side work and I found this becuase one of the guys wanted his rotors changed on his accord. It kicked my but up and down the street for about an hour before I found this page and figured out how to do it. Last time I changed the rotors on my bull, it took me about 10 mins per side to do the whole job. This was about 45 mins to side just to change the rotors. Freak'n hondas.

BTW how has everyone been??? I havn't seen you guys in some time.

#4 ·
That's awesome. I've always thought those would have been a great lease car, but not a good owner. Owned by the bull. Again.

And another day (year) older, here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.