Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car (2000 Taurus Vulcan) has been using quite a bit of oil for a while now, and today i added some dye to the oil in the engine so i could pinpoint where the leak was. I found drips of oil on the bottom of the starter which is just below the oil filter. I put my car up on the hoist at work and started the car, and sure enough i could see what looked like an oil leak at the bottom of the oil filter. The filter is on tight, and its leaked for a while so i think the engine side has a problem keeping a seal. Any ideas on how to fix this? The next oil change i am going to check the oil filter area of the engine and clean it up with some emery cloth. Could it be warped or something?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Make sure there isnt an old gasket still on the block. The sealing surface of the block is just a flat spot on it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A old gasket left on would be my guess also. Could possibly be a badly manufactured filter or gasket.

You do lube the gasket with oil and clean the filter area on the block before install I hope?

·
Registered
2 Posts
How much oil has it been consuming? your location says Canada, which leads me to believe you have cooold weather. cold weather means longer pre conditioning times. driving your taurus hard while it's cold will burn excess amountso f oil.

oil on the starter is perfectly normal AFTER an oil change. the starter is directly below the oil filter, and obviously gravity will pull the oil to the lowest point. becuase of the position of the cats and starter, sometimes it's difficult to properly tighten an oil filter.. and sometimes oil filters loosen on their own due to engine vibration or other factors (improper installation is always a possibility.. no offense i don't know who does your oil changes)

also i'd pull your spark plugs and check the condition. when were they changed last? if your engine is whats causing the consumption you'll know pretty quickly by the state of the plugs. how many miles on your car? do you drive it rough? :)
look for things like oil on the plugs, oil deposits on the elctrodes or plugs, oil on the threads anything out of the ordinary

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am glad you said that. I did pull the plugs, they are in HORRIBLE HORRIBLE shape. There is lots of deposits on the electrode and there is actually oil on the threads? What does it mean when there is oil on the threads? Also my filter is on tight. I added some leak detection fluid on my oil, drove it for about 10 min in the city and 10 min on the highway and there was oil on the starter with the oil detection fluid in it... So that tells me its leaking... But i dont understand how it is leaking from the filter when it is as tight as it is. The car itself has 173,700 km which is 107,932 miles.. the engine block was replaced with a remanufactured block and everything elts was placed back on from the old engine. The block has i would guess about 70,000 km or about 43,495 miles if i can remember correctly

Here are some pictures of the plugs :blink: dont make fun..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the threads look fine. The new block has i would guess about 70,000 km or about 43,495 miles if i can remember correctly.. The car itself has 173,700 km which is 107,932 miles.. The spark plug looks ash fouled. That means shes burning some oil? Maybe not much

·
Registered
453 Posts
Make sure to check the PCV system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure to check the PCV system.
[/b]
yeah definitely check the pcv system. shake the elbow.. if it clicks it should be working fine. if it doesn't replace it. might be a good idea to reploace it anyway there not expensive.

might want to try a relative or cylinder compression test and see where your at. if you do have blowby issues due to the rings losing tension you will know quickly. i think maybe your oil control rings have lost tension
those plugs are nasty looks like ash deposits

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah the PCV system is fine! I am gettting a compression test done on monday.. What the pressure suppose to be at??

·
Registered
138 Posts
but the filter was replaced like 3 weeks ago.. And the new filter comes with a new gasket.
[/b]
From my my experience it is easy to sometimes leave the old gasket on the block by accident when replacing the oil filter. If you're leaking oil from the filter you should check and make sure the old gasket isnt still on the block.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Iv check. there is only the one gasket. If you double gasket, the oil will probably leak a ridiculous amount

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pressure should be over 140 I believe. What you are looking for is big drops in pressure.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Compression on each cylinder should be within 5-7 lbs of each other across the board as well. I am too lazy to go and look up what the acceptable pressures are.

I would bet it is more of valve guide issue than compression unless the engine has been severely overheated.
Did the oil seem extremely thin and smell like gas when you changed it? That is a sign of bad rings.
A good quick fix for bad compression is Restore

Mike
:dunno:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts