Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '93 Taurus to a shop and left it with them for a day to let them diagnose the power steering leak. They found that the return line is leaking. They said they temporarily fixed it, but its still leaking a little and needs to be fully repaired (I told them to do whatever they could for under $40) and they estimated $120 to do that. After a lengthy test drive, I found the leak has been slowed (it usually leaks on to the exhaust and creates smoke, very embarassing). It only leaks now when I make sharp left turns at a farily high rate of speed and especially if I accelerate bristkly afterwards, say, after rounding a sharp corner or turning onto another road and then flooring it.

I also explained that I had tied off the heater core but it needed to be replaced. They said it'd be $350 for labor and parts. I figured thats a hell of a deal because the Ford dealer wants around $1K to do it. I asked if he knew whats all involved and he said "yea, you gotta remove the dash, its a pain". I asked a few freinds (novice mechanics) and they said they'd take that deal in a heart beat. Most had told me they wouldnt even attempt the job themselves.

Thats next, after this CV issue is resolved and the p. steering leak reparied. I also plan to do a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and later a trans flush and filter change). Eventually, I want to replace the (original!) struts with some top of the line Blistine (sp?) to help with the bouncy ride and improve handling. Before you know it, this Taurus will be in tip top condition. :) By the time I get done with all of these repairs and maintaince issues, It'll probably be time for new tires so I can get what I really wanted, Good Year Assurance's. 225/60/15s.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The worst part of the heater core job is dealing with the air conditioning. Does the A/C work in your car, now?

The A/C lines will have to be disconnected. You've got to move the heater/AC box back far enough to pull the core tubes through the firewall. I've done this job, there's no other way. BTW, my A/C system was completely discharged.

$350 is still a great price, even if they don't service the A/C. I just wouldn't do it if the A/C is working now, unless they specifically tell me that they'll evacuate and re-fill the system as part of the deal.

In that case, $350 is an AWESOME price! :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the A/C works perfect in my car right now. The tech didnt say anything about discharging it. I'll be sure to ask before the work begins. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts