Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes I'd like to see the diagrams, but I don't understand about the parking sensors. The Lane Keep Assist has a camera connected to the back of the rear view mirror for the road line monitoring. I just don't see where the camera sends the info to. The steering of the vehicle back into the lane I would assume would be controlled by the PAM since it does the Park Assist feature, and I wasn't sure how the steering wheel vibration was achieved (Quickly pulsing the steering left & right or a vibrating solenoid connected to the column)

Let me find them. And I'm not completely sure what's all connected, however I also forgot to mention there are two cameras on either side of the front bumper by the fog lights for this feature as well. I believe those are used for the active park assist as well as lane keep assist. My service manual should describe all this so we can see what it actually uses

·
Registered
34 Posts
Let me find them. And I'm not completely sure what's all connected, however I also forgot to mention there are two cameras on either side of the front bumper by the fog lights for this feature as well. I believe those are used for the active park assist as well as lane keep assist. My service manual should describe all this so we can see what it actually uses
Thanks, the 2014 Taurus wiring diagram manual is pitiful (thick book, but missing some features & not very detailed on others). I think you'll find only 1 camera (top center of windshield), and the radar sensors in the front bumpers are only for the Park Assist(had one go bad already), no warning when they fail, the only way you will know is that the screen remains in the searching mode and never finds a parking spot. FYI: The left & right sensors are the same so you can switch then without any reprogramming.

I did a little more research and although the Lane Keep Assist is the only added feature to the Taurus cluster in 2014, I did find that the Lincoln MKS had this feature added in 2013 w/ the older style cluster. So nothing singularly standing out to explain why Ford changed the cluster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can get a module diagram for you, but there's about 14 diagrams for all the modules. To my knowledge, the lane keep assist isn't it's own module. It utilizes the parking sensors from PAM as well as the PSCM; along with the IPC to display the option.

Never mind, I found the diagrams. I added pic's if anyone else was curious about the feature. The module & camera is one unit called the IPM (Image Processing Module) at the top of the windshield (attached to the rear view mirror mount). It uses the HS Can wires to send/receive info to the other modules shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Never mind, I found the diagrams. I added pic's if anyone else was curious about the feature. The module & camera is one unit called the IPM (Image Processing Module) at the top of the windshield (attached to the rear view mirror mount). It uses the HS Can wires to send/receive info to the other modules shown.

Ah gotcha. Forgot about the IPM. All in all, it's quite unfortunate the gauge cluster lost so much functionality it seems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis & Town Car, the majority of people I see in a Taurus are middle aged & older, so Ford probably catered to the demographic that was buying the Taurus and simplified the dash. It a shame how they have neglected the last gen Taurus as it seems it's dying a slow lingering death.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Since Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis & Town Car, the majority of people I see in a Taurus are middle aged & older, so Ford probably catered to the demographic that was buying the Taurus and simplified the dash. It a shame how they have neglected the last gen Taurus as it seems it's dying a slow lingering death.

Funny you say that because I'd fully agree with you. Hell, I'm 21 so quite a few people find it unusual I bought a Taurus until they see mine. I'm addicted to modifying things "unmodifiable" so it's truly a shame how neglected the Taurus is/was. I guess anything is possible with enough funds.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Funny you say that because I'd fully agree with you. Hell, I'm 21 so quite a few people find it unusual I bought a Taurus until they see mine. I'm addicted to modifying things "unmodifiable" so it's truly a shame how neglected the Taurus is/was. I guess anything is possible with enough funds.

Same here, although I'm 37 so I guess i'm almost an old fart.

But everytime I see a Taurus on the road, I speed up to try and see who's driving it and 9 times out of 10, it's someone in their 50's or older.

Once in a rare while I come across a modded Taurus, but since i'm driving a stock Limited I probably get lumped into the "old fart" category. B)

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Life Choice Calendar:

Age 16: Five Hundred SEL AWD (I still miss that car even though it was complete garbage of the Nasser era)
Age 24ish: Taurus #1 - 2013
Age 25ish: Taurus #2 - 2014 AWD

Honestly, the Taurus were some of the best vehicles I owned--including better than the Explorer I have now. Not only were they fun but cushy rides--but they've got a stance that makes a statement. And while I'm not one for ego, a little swag on four wheels to say you've made it is good for confidence.

If I had the space and money I'd probably buy another one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Life Choice Calendar:

Age 16: Five Hundred SEL AWD (I still miss that car even though it was complete garbage of the Nasser era)
Age 24ish: Taurus #1 - 2013
Age 25ish: Taurus #2 - 2014 AWD

Honestly, the Taurus were some of the best vehicles I owned--including better than the Explorer I have now. Not only were they fun but cushy rides--but they've got a stance that makes a statement. And while I'm not one for ego, a little swag on four wheels to say you've made it is good for confidence.

If I had the space and money I'd probably buy another one.

I typically tell everyone at meets and what not who ask about my car how underrated the Taurus is. It oddly reminds me a lot of my 2001 F250 I used to have.

Also, update has been done to the Spreadsheet. Really just some organization. And again, if anyone has issues accessing the spreadsheet, please let me know!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
IPC--AdvanceTrac Control... you deduced a true toggle for stability control?!

Is it binary on/off or On/Sport/Off?

Yes! I have the option to turn off traction control and all with that feature in my cluster. I was able to find the code to enable and disable it. So help me if this is a '13 only feature due to the gauge cluster difference yet again.

It is a simple On/Off. No "Sport" mode or anything unfortunately, but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Another update coming to the spreadsheet. From another deciphering session, I may have found the code for the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) and the ability to turn it off.

What the BMS does is it keeps the battery at an optimal 80% charge and shuts off the alternator output until the battery percentage drops below a certain threshold. This is a process created to save fuel and lower engine strain. However, if your car sits for a few days at a time or you have extra electronics installed in the vehicle, this can cause an issue with the hall sensor installed on the positive terminal cable and create charging system warnings too early. Turning off the BMS can correct this issue and the alternator will charge the battery at all times.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The spreadsheet has received another update with a few additions and goodies! The Information sheet has also received an update.

An idea did come to mind when updating the spreadsheet. Would anyone find it helpful in any way if there were to be another sheet put in the file for service procedures? Such as resetting the BMS when installing a new battery, powering down the backup battery when removing the airbag, etc. And even torque specs and fluid types and capacities? I'm wondering if anyone would find this to be a helpful addition.https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/114-5th-6th-gen-maintenance-repair/345971-forscan-how-modify-program-module-data-6.html

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE 3.0 DOHC, 2011 Taurus SE 3.5 DOHC
26 Posts
Thanks for your forSCAN information, I am trying to do some diagnoses to my Taurus, does the program work for 1996-1999 models, if not, is there a program/application that will be applicable to my car? Thanks again for your information.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for your forSCAN information, I am trying to do some diagnoses to my Taurus, does the program work for 1996-1999 models, if not, is there a program/application that will be applicable to my car? Thanks again for your information.

I'm unsure about that. Give FORScan a shot. It's free and you'll need an OBDII adapter regardless of what application you use. FORScan should work for older vehicles. It'll just be limited on what it can do/present.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Would anyone happen to know what's exactly different with the SHO's Performance Package as far as the brake system? To my understanding there's a larger rotor size and a larger master cylinder. Would there be anything related to the ABS system?

I may have found something related to the ABS system that is turned on for PP models and off for non PP models. I don't wanna start messing with it until I know exactly what's different with the brake system.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Hmm... if you'll forgive the spitballing--I believe the adaptive cruise and AWD torque split strategies take into account estimated temperature of the brakes when they request ABS support. Perhaps it's a temperature tolerance bit?

I believe the PPs got a more aggressive braking setup to avoid fade.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hmm... if you'll forgive the spitballing--I believe the adaptive cruise and AWD torque split strategies take into account estimated temperature of the brakes when they request ABS support. Perhaps it's a temperature tolerance bit?

I believe the PPs got a more aggressive braking setup to avoid fade.

I think I'm gonna be brave and mess with it and see what happens to my brakes. I'm extremely curious as to what this is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Another little update. As far as the ABS option I found that was only enabled for the PP SHOs, nothing seems to have changed. I haven't dragged the Taurus and braked hard yet, but literally everything seems to be the same.

Also, the Secure Idle feature I believe isn't year specific. It will only function if your vehicle has the enhanced security package from when it was built off the assembly line. Otherwise, enabling Secure Idle won't do anything.

41 - 60 of 155 Posts