Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I might have the 13 and 14s VINs somewhere if you want me to try to find them for comparisons. They were equipped very similarly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I might have the 13 and 14s VINs somewhere if you want me to try to find them for comparisons. They were equipped very similarly.

I could take a peek. I'm specifically wanting Mustang's VIN because he, even with the correct values, is not able to get the Climate menu to appear in the IPC. I really would like to see what the differences are between my Taurus data and his. I'm hoping I can forcefully enable the Climate menu because it doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't enable. All the same hardware was present between 2013-2018. The only thing I can think of is a firmware difference, however my cluster is on the earliest firmware made for it and I have the Climate menu.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sent you my VIN.

I was able to change around the menu a bit, so the bits of codes were in fact doing something, but what was odd was that when i loaded it up to change that bit to F, it already was set to that value.

With it set to F, all i had was Phone, Navigation, Entertainment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sent you my VIN.

I was able to change around the menu a bit, so the bits of codes were in fact doing something, but what was odd was that when i loaded it up to change that bit to F, it already was set to that value.

With it set to F, all i had was Phone, Navigation, Entertainment.

So what I'm thinking I'm gonna do is update my IPC firmware to the latest version and see if I retain the climate control menu. If I do, I'll be at a complete loss as to why in the world it won't enable on other clusters of the same model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can confirm that Climate is in the 2014+ clusters.
Did you add this feature to a 2014 or a 2017? This feature as well as the secure idle does NOT work on my 2014 AWD Limited fully loaded w/ all electronic features (Active Park Assist,Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot w/ Cross traffic, Auto High Beam, Heated/Cooled Seats, Multicontour Front Seats w/ Active Motion, Rain Sensing Wipers, Intelligent Access, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats). Maybe with all the added options added to the I/C it may require more than one value being changed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you add this feature to a 2014 or a 2017? This feature as well as the secure idle does NOT work on my 2014 AWD Limited fully loaded w/ all electronic features (Active Park Assist,Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot w/ Cross traffic, Auto High Beam, Heated/Cooled Seats, Multicontour Front Seats w/ Active Motion, Rain Sensing Wipers, Intelligent Access, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats). Maybe with all the added options added to the I/C it may require more than one value being changed.
I can verify it isn't more than one value. which is unfortunate. I'm concluding this is a firmware difference as the hexadecimal data between several VINs, including mine and Mustang's, is the exact same. I will update my IPC to the latest firmware tonight and see if it screws me out of the Climate menu. If it doesn't and I still have it, this will be quite the anomalous situation.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Believe I added this in my 2014 Taurus, and I have it in my 2017 Explorer now.

Secure Idle probably wasn't in the firmware for a 2014.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Believe I added this in my 2014 Taurus, and I have it in my 2017 Explorer now.

Secure Idle probably wasn't in the firmware for a 2014.

Wait, so you're saying your 2014 Taurus was able to display the Climate menu?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can verify it isn't more than one value. which is unfortunate. I'm concluding this is a firmware difference as the hexadecimal data between several VINs, including mine and Mustang's, is the exact same. I will update my IPC to the latest firmware tonight and see if it screws me out of the Climate menu. If it doesn't and I still have it, this will be quite the anomalous situation.

There is a difference in the 2013 and 2014 cluster that might play a role. The warning icons and such are moved around and in different locations. Perhaps this might be part of it, but the 2013 cluster seems to have a unique GUI look to it.

For instance, this is a '13 cluster. All those icons on the far left in the left window...I don't have those. They appear elsewhere. Also the right screen looks slightly different as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There is a difference in the 2013 and 2014 cluster that might play a role. The warning icons and such are moved around and in different locations. Perhaps this might be part of it, but the 2013 cluster seems to have a unique GUI look to it.

For instance, this is a '13 cluster. All those icons on the far left in the left window...I don't have those. They appear elsewhere. Also the right screen looks slightly different as well.

It potentially could be a hardware difference then. I only came across two model numbers ever with the Taurus. Well, what we CAN do is swap the "older" cluster into your car. That would solve the issue at least.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Would be nice to enable it by changing bits, but changing firmware/hardware is probably where i'll draw the line. I don't think the climate menu is that exciting is it? lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Would be nice to enable it by changing bits, but changing firmware/hardware is probably where i'll draw the line. I don't think the climate menu is that exciting is it? lol

What I'm not understanding is why Ford did it in the first place. It seems like the 2013 cluster is better than the rest of the years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had suspicions that maybe the DSCM plays a part in the Climate in IPC, but never got around to testing before I wrecked my Taurus.

Or it could just be that it cannot be enabled on some IPCs.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Did I add this to my 2014: I'm pretty certain, but maybe I'm mistaken? And it's in my 17 Explorer now, and that cluster was revised heavily from 11-15.

And the 2013 and 14 clusters are different. They had different fonts and icons--if slightly. In later Taurus years even the font of the speedometer changed.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
What I'm not understanding is why Ford did it in the first place. It seems like the 2013 cluster is better than the rest of the years.
It was. They decontented it quite a bit. There used to be far more information in the trip computer, for starters.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It was. They decontented it quite a bit. There used to be far more information in the trip computer, for starters.

Well that would answer that. Odd.

I guess it isn't impossible. You could snatch a used cluster for like $50 and slap it in, but that's a lot of work considering the odometer would have to be cycled in to match your actual engine mileage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only difference I can see between the 2013 & 2014 cluster is that Ford added the Lane Keep Assist feature. My 2014 wiring diagram manual does not show anything on this feature(no separate control module), so maybe the IPC controls this feature and that was why the cluster was changed. If anyone has a wiring diagram on this feature please post it, as I am curious to see all of it's components and where it's controlled from.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The only difference I can see between the 2013 & 2014 cluster is that Ford added the Lane Keep Assist feature. My 2014 wiring diagram manual does not show anything on this feature(no separate control module), so maybe the IPC controls this feature and that was why the cluster was changed. If anyone has a wiring diagram on this feature please post it, as I am curious to see all of it's components and where it's controlled from.

I can get a module diagram for you, but there's about 14 diagrams for all the modules. To my knowledge, the lane keep assist isn't it's own module. It utilizes the parking sensors from PAM as well as the PSCM; along with the IPC to display the option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can get a module diagram for you, but there's about 14 diagrams for all the modules. To my knowledge, the lane keep assist isn't it's own module. It utilizes the parking sensors from PAM as well as the PSCM; along with the IPC to display the option.
Yes I'd like to see the diagrams, but I don't understand about the parking sensors. The Lane Keep Assist has a camera connected to the back of the rear view mirror for the road line monitoring. I just don't see where the camera sends the info to. The steering of the vehicle back into the lane I would assume would be controlled by the PAM since it does the Park Assist feature, and I wasn't sure how the steering wheel vibration was achieved (Quickly pulsing the steering left & right or a vibrating solenoid connected to the column)

21 - 40 of 136 Posts