Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Sable with the DOHC engine. I put gas in my car the other day and forgot the gas cap...the plastic tether broke. While driving to work today I finally realized when the check gas cap light came on I left my gas cap behind. I had to get to work today so I drove my car 100 miles with no gas cap. I live close to work but had to drive to work from far away today. I got a new gas cap and the light for the gas cap has not gone off yet. I have only driven the car about 5 miles since the new gas cap was put on. When will the gas cap light go out? Can I reset the gas cap light? Did I damage my car by driving with no gas cap?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have a 2004 Sable with the DOHC engine. I put gas in my car the other day and forgot the gas cap...the plastic tether broke. While driving to work today I finally realized when the check gas cap light came on I left my gas cap behind. I had to get to work today so I drove my car 100 miles with no gas cap. I live close to work but had to drive to work from far away today. I got a new gas cap and the light for the gas cap has not gone off yet. I have only driven the car about 5 miles since the new gas cap was put on. When will the gas cap light go out? Can I reset the gas cap light? Did I damage my car by driving with no gas cap?
Do you mean the Check Engine Light? I can't imagine it hurting the car.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Gas Cap

Your car has a separate gas cap light and a check engine light.

The gas cap light is a reminder, not a real error code.

No harm done.

Only real harm will be shown by a blinking check engine light which is not related.

Happy motoring.

I have driven many rental cars that do not have a tether. No excuse for building cars without. They do break from time to time. I got one from Pick A Part but have not gotten around to putting it on my '03.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
The light will go out the nexttime the PCM runs the EVAP test and sees a sealed fuel system. this may take a few days depending on your type of driving. Fuel level between 85% and 15% and driving steady to limit fuel slosh in the tank will make the light go out faster.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I believe that it takes 3 key cycles of a no fault for the PCM to clear a code on it's own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts