Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Ford will not acknowledge their own recall! (1986-95 Taurus, Sable, Continental)

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mikeluscher159 
#1 ·
I publicly posted this message on Ford's various Facebook pages earlier today. Please take the time to go there and Like and/or Comment on this, to help me ensure that Ford receives even more notice that dodging their own important safety recall bulletins is simply not good for business.

<cite class="ipb" contenteditable="false"></cite>

I purchased a 1987 Mercury Sable 4-door as a second vehicle. I have since come to find out that a major safety recall affecting older Taurus, Sable, and Continental models was not actually performed on this particular car, despite it fitting the criteria *exactly* as listed on their official recall bulletin (all 1986-early 1990's models that are registered and used in a saltbelt state). See the full recall documentation from Ford Motor Company here:

http://www.nesho.com/98S36.pdf

My local Ford dealership, Bob Rohrman Ford in Schaumburg, Illinois, says that they will not perform the required repair because they claim the Ford OASIS computer system doesn't allow it to be looked up or researched anymore.

Apparently they feel that they can freely ignore the NHTSA's published letter about this recall stating (verbatim) that "Ford is responsible for completing these repairs at their cost, regardless of age, mileage, or ownership". I provided them printed copies of all the documentation Ford has published with their own letterhead about this recall campaign, which were completely ignored because the dealership will not put in a minimal amount of effort to assist their customers.

I then called up Ford's corporate "customer service" office directly, and was subsequently brushed off by their representative who says that 1987 Sables were not listed on this recall campaign because they used different parts than the frame mounting hardware that this recall had to be issued for (which is an absolute lie- see the document link above for more details) and therefore there is nothing that they will do for me.

I have always been a proud Ford enthusiast and have already owned four of their products since receiving my driver's license, but Ford Motor Company's current refusal to honor their responsibility to complete safety-related recall repairs has me seriously reconsidering any support of their company in the future. Their hometown rivals at GM can at least try claiming that that older recalls and vehicle defects are not the fault of "New GM" because of their recent bankruptcy proceedings. Ford has no such credible excuse to fall back on, though.

I will say that any authorized representative of Ford is more than welcome to contact me via Facebook message, if they actually want to show that this refusal to provide satisfactory service for a safety-related matter wasn't done in accordance with their official policy.

#2 ·
What about this this clause that says for the stealership to call FoMoCo if it's not listed in OASIS?
If a vehicle, not listed in OASIS, with the same concern or operated in the same conditions as affected vehicles listed in
OASIS is presented for service, it is important that dealers obtain as much information about the vehicle as possible.
Dealers are to call 1-800-325-5621 and provide Ford Motor Company with a description of the concern, VIN, model
year and mileage. In appropriate situations, where the customer is willing to cooperate with the dealer in providing the
required information and has agreed to provide the affected parts for possible inspection by the Company, the dealer
will receive approval and will be reimbursed for performing the repair upon submission of the claim.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Well, the Rohrman dealer I went to first said they can't use that toll free number.

Which is really interesting, because I personally called it about 5 minutes ago to hear the following basic menu: "If you are calling from a Ford or Lincoln dealership or service center, please press 1. If you are not calling from such a facility, please press 2..."

So, they bull****ted me.

#4 ·
Did you try pressing 1? With companies and agencies I've dealt with, many times if a phone number isn't to be used by a vendor/distributor/whathaveyou they'll still have such an option, but it'll just direct the caller to a message saying something along the lines of:

"Please call our distributor/vendor/authorized whatsit number, XXX-XXX-XXXX"

Still, lousy they won't cover the recall. Not sure I find it surprising though, unfortunately.

#5 ·
I used to own a 90 taurus. I had the subframe mounts rot though and
it steered like shXXt. Found out about the recall. They denied it even existed
because Nebraska was not considered a "high salt state". Guess ford has
never visited here in the winter.

#9 ·
Hi Brian,

I was able to look up some information on this recall and I'd like to see if I can dig deeper. All recalls are VIN specific and in this case the vehicle in question will have had to been originally sold in or registered in specific states by 1998. Send me your VIN in a private message and I can look into this further.

Meagan
Ford Service

That response was left today from one of their FB social media reps. I sent her a private message with the information requested.

#10 ·
Once they fulfill the request, and get the work done, be sure to post up a shiney picture of the Merc w/the mileage for folks to see on the Ford page with a thanks for their help. It'll look good for both parties (you get free place to show off of your ride, Ford looks good for following through :) ).

#11 ·
As long as they follow through the right way (fixing it under the original recall), I will be glad to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.