Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday I hung out with Brian 05 SEL, and were able to preview the TransitConnect. Pretty amazing van I tell you what. Feels somewhat like a car, but it's a van.

It is no Econoline van, nor is it a Caravan. I think it's a perfect van for light use. Efficient on gas, getting over 20 mpg. Better than my GMC Savana's 8 MPG.

The roof isn't extremely tall, so a fair ladder rack could be put on.

Another cool thing was the computer in the dash, it had Ford Work Solution, the nice thing was able to keep inventory of stuff in and out of the van, it knew if something wasn't in the vehicle, I could see that being very useful for expensive tools, not wanting to forget them. Also can do invoices, spreadsheets, Internet, etc. It's like a whole computer within with GPS.

The TransitConnect XLT we drove was a 4 Cylinder 2.0L Duratec Engine, 4 speed front wheel drive automatic transmission. For a Four Cylinder, it felt like it had power to it. Reminded me a lot of a Ford Focus, though, a bit bigger. Yet, it has an amazing turn radius. I know it's impossible to do a U-turn into a 2 lane road with the Savana unless I throw it in to reverse at least once. The Econoline is similar with the turn radius when I drove one of those.

The van also doesn't look bad. I know I would drive one if I had one.

Here are some pics from my Blackberry. Forgot the DSLR :(

Heh heh, 000051.

And a small video of the chimes, and starting

I Apologize for the poor quality, the Blackberry sucks with sunset pictures.

The van is cool though, I wish I had one, with the no windows in the back.

Only one thing I don't like about the van: The key is the kinky. I wish I took a picture, but it's... 3 dimensional. Apparent cost to replace: $300. Imagine losing one of those... Ouch...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
How did you get your hands on a TransitConnect? That van looks promising, especially if it can get that kinda gas mileage.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Pity that wasn't a manual.

Europe has had the Transit for over 40 years. It was that van that changed transport in Britain. I remember Top Gear had an episode on it once...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I cant wait to see this is in person... we have 40 of them ready but they arent physcially at work... cant wait!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 23 2009, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734669
How did you get your hands on a TransitConnect? That van looks promising, especially if it can get that kinda gas mileage.[/b]
Brian apparently filled out something during the auto show, and they brought one over to show off and let us test drive to his house.

So we were one of few people who got to enjoy that vehicle before thousands others do :D

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've seen one in person and then again at the auto show and they really are amazing. There is a ton of space inside but it doesn't look that big from outside and it would be great for parking, etc.

The one thing I don't like is the wheels, and that the bumper cover sticks out like that towards the bottom (where the actual bumper is)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Definitely looks like it was designed by Euros. Seems we are getting more vehicles with the Euro looks. ie, the Nissan Cube and the Kia Soul. I don't like the cube, I do like the Soul, and the transit...will eventually warm up to. I'm driving Chevy Express vans all the time. I like sitting high. Parallel parking = Riding up on the curb, hard left, and back down off the curb. I don't think that will work with the Transit.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The Duratec 20 is an awesome little engine. We have an '07 Focus with that same configuration and loaded with 5 people with A/C on, it didn't even struggle to accelerate.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Trevor @ Jun 24 2009, 12:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734755
Definitely looks like it was designed by Euros. Seems we are getting more vehicles with the Euro looks. ie, the Nissan Cube and the Kia Soul. I don't like the cube, I do like the Soul, and the transit...will eventually warm up to. I'm driving Chevy Express vans all the time. I like sitting high. Parallel parking = Riding up on the curb, hard left, and back down off the curb. I don't think that will work with the Transit.[/b]
I drive a Savana 3500 for work. The Savana 3500 has a very very wide turning radius. It's impossible to do a U-Turn into a two lane road. When driving all the time, I do have to turn around every now and then. I know the 1500/2500 are similar. All 3 of these vehicles have an amazing payload however. Though, there are many businesses using a Express/Savana/Econoline, and barely take advantage of the van's fullest potential. Thus, wasting fuel between 7-14 mpg with those tanks. A business like a computer repair service, or types of construction, etc, they may be perfect with a Transit Connect.

So with both easy maneuvering and fuel economy. It has a lot going for it. I felt very confident in the driver seat first time driving it. (Though, I am used to driving tanks all day...)

Now with the Transit Connect being smaller, it'd be easier to parallel park than the full size cargo vans. And I still felt decently higher up compared to my Taurus.

But yes, it is no Econoline/Express/Savana. But for what it has to offer, I love it. I could see this being great for installers too. But get the wagon version and get back seats. Though I wish I could have the van config with no windows, with the rear seating, and the seating to go in full laying down. Be able to take naps easily :p

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Kev speaks the truth. And I had originally signed up for a $100 BP gas card giveaway. I felt pwned when I didn't get one, but then two weeks ago a woman called me from the 313 area code (Dearborn, MI); the rest is history. Kevin and I are also entered in a drawing through this to win a new Transit Connect. To be continued...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would definately rock one of those for work. Does it have an option for rain gutters? If not I guess a ladder rack would have to be the bolt on type.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (brightbus @ Jun 24 2009, 03:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734931
I would definately rock one of those for work. Does it have an option for rain gutters? If not I guess a ladder rack would have to be the bolt on type.[/b]
:huh: I'm not sure what you mean by rain gutters, but the T-C has four grommets in the roof that are actually pre-drilled mounts for a ladder rack; it also had a convenient looking set of handgrips in the rear doors to help with climbing up towards the roof. Actually, Kevin said specifically to me during one of our test drives that you, Brightbus, would have a field day with a Transit Connect personal vehicle now that you're doing home installations for a living. If I happen to win the T-C (Though the odds of that are somewhere in-between me winning the IL Power-Ball after buying all but one of the available tickets, and me hooking up with Megan Fox in the backseat of a limo, while being chauffeured by a chimp who attended Harvard. B) one can always hope!) I'd more than likely end up trying to sell it- I don't have any pressing need to own a van. Stay tuned to this thread...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The rain gutters are the little overhang on the side of workvans that ladder racks can attach to.

But yeah I would definately have a field day with that vehicle.....If I had the money to buy one, I probably would....hey its for work, so its all tax deductable....:)

--Grayson

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I think a cable tech MIGHT get away with being able to use one... A Few spools of coax is maybe 300 lbs combined? Then all the boxes and tools, might work... But satellite has less coax cables. As a cable tech, I have RG-6, RG-6 Limited Interior (white), RG-6 Underground (flooded), RG-6 Aerial (Messenger), RG-11 Aerial, RG-11 Underground (Both these ######ers are heavy....)

I keep all these in my van, plus tools, they probably all combined weigh about 40/50 lbs...

Now Satellite techs, really only need RG-6, RG-6 Dual, and maybe a limited interior one?

Then tons of dishes, and equipment.

Either way, it's a great van Ford is releasing. Potential is endless :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ Jun 24 2009, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735007
Yeah, I think a cable tech MIGHT get away with being able to use one... A Few spools of coax is maybe 300 lbs combined? Then all the boxes and tools, might work... But satellite has less coax cables. As a cable tech, I have RG-6, RG-6 Limited Interior (white), RG-6 Underground (flooded), RG-6 Aerial (Messenger), RG-11 Aerial, RG-11 Underground (Both these ######ers are heavy....)

I keep all these in my van, plus tools, they probably all combined weigh about 40/50 lbs...

Now Satellite techs, really only need RG-6, RG-6 Dual, and maybe a limited interior one?

Then tons of dishes, and equipment.

Either way, it's a great van Ford is releasing. Potential is endless :D[/b]
Right, like I said, if I was getting a new commercial van, would def. consider one

Directv uses only rg6 cable and nothing else. There are three types, rg single, rg dual, and rg flooded (usually dual-also all the cable is black). Other than that the usual hand tools like drills, rachets etc etc. Dishes and the dish assemblys, combo ladder and 28 foot extension ladder, shovels, concrete and assorted cables and connectors of all sorts....lots of junk, but easy to keep up with once you get a system underway. I would say the most pain in the ass thing to do is running line. That is 3/4 of the job. Once that is done, everything else is cake. It's always a godsend when peoples houses allready have rg6 preinstalled. :)

-Grayson

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotta make due with what you got :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I was looking at them online. You can get a 4 seater. I want one ... for myself.

The 2.0 duratec is a peoppy little engine. (still dont trust 4 cylinder engines).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts