Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ford is looking to add even more grunt to its Taurus SHO model in the future, hinting at plans to up horsepower as high as the 400 mark. At the 19th annual national Taurus SHO convention, held lat week in Dearborn, MI, Ford marketing manager Steve Ling commented that, "365 horsepower is good. 400 is better." Ling preceded this comment by stating that, "The SHO is at the top [of Ford's performance sedan category] and we're going to keep it there."

Ford's Advanced Engine Design and Development Engineer, Brett Hinds, went so far as to hint that we're likely to see some of the added potential inside the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine when Ford unwraps the EcoBoost F-150 later this year.

Ford also gave a glimpse at what the future SHO will look like with Taurus Exterior Design Manager Earl Lucas commenting that the big sedan will get lower and wider, although less bulky and use less chrome. With the SHO's success established, Ford will now look to differentiate the car from its Taurus siblings with unique styling including different front and rear bumpers and exclusive wheels.

The next-generation of Ford's SHO is set to arrive somewhere around 2013, but big changes could come much sooner in a mid-cycle update.

More: Ford Taurus SHO to Get 400-Horsepower from EcoBoost V6 on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I could get an ecboost 3.5 at half the price ;) 2011 reg cab F-150 ;)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ford needs to get 400+ hp from this engine. After all, Infiniti gets 330 hp from a NA 3.7L V6. That's only 35hp less than Ford is getting with TWIN turbos.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ford needs to get 400+ hp from this engine. After all, Infiniti gets 330 hp from a NA 3.7L V6. That's only 35hp less than Ford is getting with TWIN turbos.
to bad it is a bigger displacement engine too. if we compare apples to apples we get this a 309 hp 3.5 liter motor and there getting 400+ from the 3.5 liter ford does not surprise me. but why is the fuel economy better then the 350z and g35 coupes??? with twin turbos?? ford is light years ahead of toyota and Honda because of the fuel economy they are getting. they about to release the new explorer that gets the average of a camry sedan for 2011. if you need the article i will get it for you ion one minute.

here is one on the 350z

VQ35HR

VQ35HR

The VQ35HR update was first seen in the US in the 2007 G35 Sedan models, which debuted in August 2006. Nissan updated the VQ line with the addition of the 3.5 L VQ35HR (for "High Revolution" or "High Response"). It produces 315 PS (232 kW; 311 hp) (US market: 306HP due to new US federal measurement regulations) at 6,800 rpm and 37 kg·m (363 N·m; 268 ft·lbf) at 4,800 rpm, using a compression ratio of 10.6:1. As of 2009, the Infiniti EX35 produces 297 hp and the same torque presumably due to tighter regulations. It has NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System) and CVTC with hydraulic actuation on the intake cam and electromagnetic on the exhaust cam. Redline is 7,500 rpm. Reportedly over 80% of the internal components were redesigned or strengthened to handle an increased RPM range sporting a lofty 7,500 rpm redline. A new dual-path intake (two air cleaners, throttle bodies, etc.) lowers intake tract restriction by 18 percent and new equal-length exhaust manifolds lead into mufflers that are 25 percent freer flowing for all around better gas flow. The new intake is said to benefit from a ram-air effect adding three horsepower at 60 mph (not accounted for by SAE testing methods). The electrically actuated variable valve timing on the exhaust cams to broaden the torque curve is new over the "DE" engine. The new engine block retains the same bore and stroke, but the connecting rods were lengthened and the block deck was raised by 8.4 mm to reduce piston side-loads. This modification, along with the use of larger crank bearings with main bearing caps reinforced by a rigid ladder-type main cap girdle to allow the engine reliably rev to 7500 rpm. With an increase in compression ratio from 10.3:1 to 10.6:1 these changes add 6 more horsepower (306 total + 3 hp ram air effect not measured by SAE testing = 309 hp). Peak torque is up 8 pound-feet from the old "DE" engine (260 vs. 268) and the torque curve is higher and flatter across most of the rpm range, and especially in the lower rpm range.

The VQ35HR fitted to the following vehicles:

·
Registered
587 Posts
2011 Ford Explorer

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) -- The Ford Explorer, the hulking family-hauler that helped launch the SUV boom in the early 1990s, is back. And it hopes to define a new generation of more streamlined, fuel-efficient sport utility vehicles.

Ford begins a marketing campaign Monday for the 2011 Ford Explorer, which will be in dealerships this winter. The automaker promises a utility vehicle with seating for seven that has similar fuel economy to a Toyota Camry sedan. Pricing hasn't been announced.

It's an important vehicle for Ford, who says the Explorer is its best-known product after the Mustang.

"Explorer is really still the backbone of the brand," Ford's marketing chief Jim Farley said recently at a gathering to introduce the Explorer to the media.

The new Explorer has been completely redesigned. The most obvious difference: It's built on a car platform, not a truck one, so it sits lower to the ground and has a smoother, more fuel -efficient ride. The new Explorer shares a platform with the Taurus X sedan.

Ford is taking a risk with customers who expect a truck-like SUV. The new Explorer will have less towing capacity than the outgoing model -- 5,000 pounds, versus 7,115 pounds -- and it won't offer a V-8 engine.

"Ford's challenge is to match the idea of the Explorer to this product," said Aaron Bragman, an analyst with IHS Automotive. "It's a good test for Ford to determine what an SUV is these days."

Trends in the market suggest most buyers aren't looking for the power of traditional SUVs and would prefer a more fuel-efficient vehicle. Ford's top U.S. sales analyst George Pipas said that a decade ago, 85 percent of all SUVs sold were truck-based; last year, just 23 percent were.

Pipas said there is also a trend away from the McMansions and big vehicles of the 1990s, when people measured their wealth by home and car size.

"It's a different world. People are much more thoughtful about their consumption, and the new Explorer is in line with that," he said.

The new Explorer has a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, which has the power of a V-6 -- 237 horsepower -- with better fuel economy. The government hasn't issued fuel economy ratings, but Derrick Kuzak, head of global product development at Ford, said the engine would be similar to a 2010 Toyota Camry sedan with a V-6 engine. That Camry gets 19 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway.

The Explorer also has a 3.7-liter V-6 that gets 290 horsepower -- the same as the current V-8 -- and 20 percent better fuel economy than the outgoing V-6.

The Explorer has some new safety features, including inflatable seat belts in the back seat that help protect occupants' heads and chests in a crash. A curve control system helps keep the car on track when the driver goes too fast into a tight curve. And its MyFordTouch dashboard system allows drivers to change the temperature, make calls and hear text messages using voice commands.

Ford said the new Explorer is also a capable off-roader, with a system that lets drivers switch the SUV to various modes, whether they're driving on sand, snow, rutted roads or downhill. The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was also redone for a more car-like ride, has a similar system.

Pipas said it's unlikely the new Explorer will ever reach the sales heights of the old version. In 2000, its peak sales year, Ford sold 445,157 Explorers. By last year, sales had slipped to 52,190. That's partly because there are more options in the market -- Ford now makes the seven-passenger Flex, for example, that competes with the Explorer -- and because of changing trends.

But Erich Merkle, president of consulting company Autoconomy.com, said Ford could easily double its current sales.

There's at least one built-in fan base: Current Explorer owners. Because the Explorer was such a big seller, with 4 million of the 6 million sold still on the road, Ford sees 140,000 Explorer customers returning to its showrooms each year, Farley said.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Agreed it's a bigger engine, but only by 6%. So let's look at current engines instead of the older VQ35. Let's take the G37 and reduce its power by 6%. This still gives 311 hp which means Ford's TWIN turbos are only giving ~50hp. That's not much of an increase for twin turbos and that's why I say the Ford engine should have no problem producing 400+ hp. I suspect Ford has kept the power down on the current SHO because of the AWD system. From what I read on SHOForum it's not the world's most reliable AWD system. Several people have experienced failure of the rear-drive portion of the AWD system.

I still don't see Toyota worrying, yet. Ford has to convince the thousands and thousands of punters who ran away from Ford in the 1990s and 2000s that Ford's are worth looking at. You and I know they're worth looking at but convincing the general population is going to take several more years. The few more MPG that Ford may get in the real world are not enough, yet, to overcome Ford's image of producing mediocre and unreliable cars. My wife, for instance, when we we're looking for a new car for her and I suggested Fusion or Accord, said in no uncertain terms that she never wanted to drive a Ford again. She's not atypical of current middle-age car buyers.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The new Explorer looks like a great vehicle. Let's hope that Ford can actually sell them. Of the 140,000 Explorer owners who have returned to the showroom each year less than 60,0000 bought Explorers in 2009. I'm just not sure how many current/previous Explorer owners and going to want a 4-cyl FWD Explorer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The new Explorer looks like a great vehicle Let's hope that Ford can actually sell them. Of the 140,000 Explorer owners who have returned to the showroom each year less than 60,0000 bought Explorers in 2009. I'm just not sure how many current/previous Explorer owners and going to want a 4-cyl FWD Explorer.

i hear you there i think they are offering the ecco boosted v-6 too in it which is a step up from the v-8 in fuel economy

·
Registered
671 Posts
I love how they're turboing everything in sight, and calling it "ecoboost" so people think it's designed to save fuel. Close, but Ford is just trying to get fuel efficient designs powerful enough to compete with the gas guzzling V-8 and high-displacement V-6 engines. The ecoboost engines would be more fuel efficient without the turbos, but a slight positive incline would ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I love how they're turboing everything in sight, and calling it "ecoboost" so people think it's designed to save fuel. Close, but Ford is just trying to get fuel efficient designs powerful enough to compete with the gas guzzling V-8 and high-displacement V-6 engines. The ecoboost engines would be more fuel efficient without the turbos, but a slight positive incline would ruin your whole day.

that is what i am talking about there swapping out the v-8 for v-6's. they are more fuel efficient then there big displacement counter parts. funny thing is there making incredible amounts of horsepower / toque in Europe on this engine with a few little up grades. i have heard up wards of 1000 hp on the four cylinders. could just be rumours. funny thing is that 28 mpg for the toyota sedan is what i get on my 1997 Taurus. also that was a 2010 toyota that got the 28 mpg. of course it just depends on the car lol's.

ya it in the one from yahoo on the explorer

the engine would be similar to a 2010 Toyota Camry sedan with a V-6 engine. That Camry gets 19 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agreed it's a bigger engine, but only by 6%. So let's look at current engines instead of the older VQ35. Let's take the G37 and reduce its power by 6%. This still gives 311 hp which means Ford's TWIN turbos are only giving ~50hp. That's not much of an increase for twin turbos and that's why I say the Ford engine should have no problem producing 400+ hp. I suspect Ford has kept the power down on the current SHO because of the AWD system. From what I read on SHOForum it's not the world's most reliable AWD system. Several people have experienced failure of the rear-drive portion of the AWD system.

I still don't see Toyota worrying, yet. Ford has to convince the thousands and thousands of punters who ran away from Ford in the 1990s and 2000s that Ford's are worth looking at. You and I know they're worth looking at but convincing the general population is going to take several more years. The few more MPG that Ford may get in the real world are not enough, yet, to overcome Ford's image of producing mediocre and unreliable cars. My wife, for instance, when we we're looking for a new car for her and I suggested Fusion or Accord, said in no uncertain terms that she never wanted to drive a Ford again. She's not atypical of current middle-age car buyers.
AMEN!

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to buy a new ford. I love ford, and I always have. They are making some great stuff now, and I think it's hard for people to believe it's actually got some good quality under there. I have no doubt that ford is going to come out with some great stuff, and that they are doing some great things. I just hope that the V8 days aren't over tho :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will a 2011 Ford Taurus sho parts fit in the 2011 SEL, engine parts i.e turbos, race coils n sturts..my lady has a SEL an its broke down rack n pinion we talked about trading but we ending keeping it but I wanna make it more fun.....can anyone shed sum light in this, I can't find anything saying the turbos will fit with changing alot of things, thanks in advance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts