Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

So far 380 Taurus and Sable owners have signed up to participate. A good start, but more remain needed to fully cover all model years from 1995 on.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Taurus, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

I'll have updated results for the 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2008 later this month, and will post them in this thread.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I signed up for this when I drove the Accord for a bit. I've signed my car up now. The monthly surveys are quick and simple to complete.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Nov 12 2009, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=766532
No spam right? I hate spam... :glare:[/b]
No this is completely legitimate. I've been submitting my information for awhile. More domestic vehicle respondents are needed, not enough do...more foreign vehicle owners respond apparently.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I have been participating for a few years now. The site has a lot of good data. Keep up the good work Michael.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Logged my input on the site. That's a great resource; I wish I'd known about it before today!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Certainly better late than never.

We've updated the results for the Taurus to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 53, about average, front strut mounts a common problem

2001: 127, about average

2000: 109, better than average

1999: 59, better than average, probably not accurate

Very small sample sizes for the 1999, 2000, and 2001.

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Taurus reliability comparisons

·
Banned
323 Posts
I've been participating in Mr. Karesh's survey with my 2007 Edge for well over two and a half years now. I have never gotten any spam or unwanted solicitations because of my involvement. The information available to you is very comprehensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not necessarily. The survey collects information going forward, and even if you've had a lot of repairs in the past you might not have many in the future.

At any rate, it is what it is. Just seeking an accurate result.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
How do I add repair history for my '97 Barely Able Sable?
Since I bought it not-quite a year ago I've replaced a *lot* of sensor-y bits and so on.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I enrolled every vehicle I've test driven and own (including family vehicles, since I keep up with their maintenance.)

I cant seem to update my repair info however... Just FYI since 1999 its had no major repairs or issues. just normal maintenance... except where I broke it...it was my fault.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jan 27 2010, 03:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=781989
I enrolled every vehicle I've test driven and own (including family vehicles, since I keep up with their maintenance.)

I cant seem to update my repair info however... Just FYI since 1999 its had no major repairs or issues. just normal maintenance... except where I broke it...it was my fault.[/b]
The main reliability survey covers model years back to 1995. If the model is in the survey (25+ owners signed up) it will be activated early next month.

There's a second reliability survey for past repairs and models not yet in the main survey, but this one requires that I enter powertrain and bodystyle specs. I've done this back to 2002 so far. Plan to add at least a few more model years, just a matter of finding the time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've updated the results for the Taurus to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 52

2003: 81

2001: 111

2000: 106

1999: 73, probably not accurate

Small sample sizes in all cases. The 1999 is better than average, the others are average.

Everyone who's been participating, thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Taurus reliability comparisons

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants next month.

Car reliability research

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Five Hundred is in there. No repairs since off warranty.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
25 Participants
mkaresh
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing