Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
They'll fit on the black steel wheels. I believe there's a special clip that keeps them on. I dunno if that's included with the auction though.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, they'll only fit on the steel black wheels. I think if you have the hubcap, you'll have the steel wheel underneath.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres what mine looks like:

So those police things will just pop in, no questions asked?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
At least you got them for a good price! I am sure they will look cool on your car. Maybe MaltaTaurus69 can fill you in, he has them on one of his cars.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
They'll work on those wheels, but IIRC you need special lugnut clips to hold them on. That or super glue.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Mar 14 2004, 10:37 PM
They'll work on those wheels, but IIRC you need special lugnut clips to hold them on. That or super glue.
Almost.

Police package vehicles have special lugnuts that police hubcaps fit over in order to secure them to the wheel. Unfortunately, they're damn near impossible to come by anymore. A good place to start looking would be Ford stealerships.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the ford dealership will have these special lugnuts that will just screw right it? If so does anyone have a rough estimate what they would cost?

I got a lugnut for an explorer at the dealer... it was about 3 bucks. I need 20 of them, 60 bucks is insane.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also... is there some way i can make attachments that dont involve gle or buying new lug nuts to get these attached?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Here's a touch of advice from me. My gf bought steelies for her Maxima this winter. She wanted to complete the "cop" look so she bought a set of caps made for cop wheels. She also bought the collared lug nuts which are absolutely needed to secure the caps. The hubcaps snap on top of the lugnuts via a lip, so you MUST get the special lugs or they wont work at all. The problem was that when she tried to fit them up the lip around the lug nuts prevented the cap from reaching the lugs. She spent $50 for the caps and $40 for the lugs. The lugs are usually $3/piece through the dealer, but the guy at the desk gave her a break and only charged her $2/piece.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my local ford dealer should have these special lug nuts for the police caps? If i call and ask, what is the part im looking for? the dealer is full of dunderheads that wont know what im talking about simply by description....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, thats true. I picked up the caps for only 16 bucks... I didnt know that special lugnuts were required, I dont think I want to spend that much anymore. I'll find some other (cheaper) way to do it

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well, would i be able to screw on bigger bolts to the 5 things that hold the wheel on (lug nut threads) and just use those 15 cent bolts to secure the caps on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts