Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my autodimming mirror with compass came today in the mail. Perfect weather to be outside, so I decided to install it. I have an auto dim already, but with the 04-07 the message center you can only have temperature OR compass, so with this I figured I can have both. It came out of a 02 Sable. Perfect. I get the other mirror all ready, and unplug mine from the harness. I go to take the mirror off. No big deal right? you just slide it up right? Well it was being a stubborn sob. I put a little upward force, and it came loose! Then i heard a weird sound, and open my eyes. OH COOL.

So now I need to get a new windshield. Has anyone seen this happen before? I've seen glass crack, but never peel or "chip" like this from the inside...

ugh.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
1-800-54-giant :p

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Yup, looks like a new windshield. For future reference, the mirror doesn't just slide up, you have to insert a small screwdriver in that slot in the top and pry the windshield away from the base. It's held on by a spring clip.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Ford went so far with their de-contenting, they actually reduced the number of glass molecules per square inch by 50%, and saved $10 whole dollars!

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jun 17 2009, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733095
Yup, looks like a new windshield. For future reference, the mirror doesn't just slide up, you have to insert a small screwdriver in that slot in the top and pry the windshield away from the base. It's held on by a spring clip.[/b]

Oh that would have been nice. :lol2: both my 99, and the 01 my neighbor had all you had to do was slide it up...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your first or last name wouldn't be Murphy by any chance would it? :D

I've never seen anything like that before.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Jun 17 2009, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733097
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jun 17 2009, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733095
Yup, looks like a new windshield. For future reference, the mirror doesn't just slide up, you have to insert a small screwdriver in that slot in the top and pry the windshield away from the base. It's held on by a spring clip.[/b]

Oh that would have been nice. :lol2: both my 99, and the 01 my neighbor had all you had to do was slide it up...
[/b][/quote]
Oh, and I didnt mean pry the windshield from the base, I meant mirror from the base.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I need to sue Planet Fitness, it's only been three weeks since I started to go to the gym :lol2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
that sucks. at least for now it doesn't look like it went completely through. Depending on your insurance you might be able to get it replaced for free. I know geico does it.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
WOW. I have a huge crack going through my windshield right where the mirror is attached and I've pulled it off several time and nothing's ever happened.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Holy crap. :eek: That's certainly a new one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Guess you don't know your own strength. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Mike, thats happened to me before. Just get some of that compound they sell at autozone for mounting the mirror to the windsheild, fill in the glass and everything then coat the mirror, push and hold for 2 min and u should be good.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
damn... I'm glad I didn't see this earlier would have messed me up, Just did my mirror today and all went well, just slid right off

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Mine did the same just sitting in the parking lot with my radio on. but it also left a nice long crack when it separated too. :angry:

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jun 17 2009, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733095
:werd:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ Jun 18 2009, 08:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733237
Mike, thats happened to me before. Just get some of that compound they sell at autozone for mounting the mirror to the windsheild, fill in the glass and everything then coat the mirror, push and hold for 2 min and u should be good.[/b]
We did that on my moms cutlass supreme, except a week later on some really rough roads, the windshield cracked from the middle down to the missing chunk.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
My mirror used to fall off all the time by itself when I didnt want it to.. does the same in my truck too. Get subs! lol Subs + a bassy song = easy rear view mirror removal

1 - 20 of 28 Posts