Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1997 ford taurus dohc 24v motor fixed my flat spot in the throttle body now when car is warming up at idle at a stop light the idle is smooth after a few seconds then i can feel a miss in the motor it gets worse longer the car idles ,, no check engine light on ,,,i did a tune up with motorcraft parts ,, new maf,, iac and pcv valve, fuel filter,,new alt

·
Registered
10,563 Posts
See chat, the TPS signal at idle stop does not repeat. Idle speed not consistent. Fix. The ground at the firewall on the pas side was corroded and weak. They bolt the eyelet over paint. This is the PCM ground, and the return signal = ground for the sensors. Easy fix. Pull the ground, sand the body metal, clean the bolt, clean the eyelets, apply anti-oxident to the metal. Issue fixed. Chart now shows idle stop signal solid.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See chat, the TPS signal at idle stop does not repeat. Idle speed not consistent. Fix. The ground at the firewall on the pas side was corroded and weak. They bolt the eyelet over paint. This is the PCM ground, and the return signal = ground for the sensors. Easy fix. Pull the ground, sand the body metal, clean the bolt, clean the eyelets, apply anti-oxident to the metal. Issue fixed. Chart now shows idle stop signal solid.
-chart-
iam going to try this , i am going to use sand paper ,, and buy some oxgard oxidant compound hope this fixes my problem

·
Registered
10,563 Posts
iam going to try this , i am going to use sand paper ,, and buy some oxgard oxidant compound hope this fixes my problem
See pic, the big ground strap eyelet can carry up to 100 amps to the body, and it is bolted over paint. The current may go through the barbs on the eyelet and through the bolt head down through the threads. The No-Lox I use came from Lowes in a little tube. I consider fixing this ground, and the one from the battery to the fender 10 year maintenance.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
See pic, the big ground strap eyelet can carry up to 100 amps to the body, and it is bolted over paint. The current may go through the barbs on the eyelet and through the bolt head down through the threads. The No-Lox I use came from Lowes in a little tube. I consider fixing this ground, and the one from the battery to the fender 10 year maintenance.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,563 Posts
iam seeing the pictures ,, this probally a stupid question you said the eyelet in picture above is a big ground strap so that not the battery cable it self, is this in front of the motor or below the motor just curious i dont know its location i do see the paint,,,,, sorry i kind of dont understand the second eyelet below is for it looks rusty,, the ground on the fender i had a shop put a new ground from the neg battery cable to the fender,, and shop also fixed both battery cable ends,,,, i took off the air cleaner hose about 2 months and sprayed the throttle body with throttle body cleaner when the car was running it seemed to work , then put every thing back togeather , test drove the car and the gas pedal got suck while up the road and at a stop sign so push the gas pedal and push harder on the gas pedal then it came unstuck so i thought i broke the throttle sensor so i bought a new motorcraft one after that my car started having problems ,, there was 2 codes one was a low voltage to the MAF sensor , i replaced that with a autozone one hope thats not the problem ,, and i bought a new MOTORCRAFT IAC ,, and reset the pcm ,, before high idle then now it has low idle flat spot in the throttle body,, sorry i said too much here iam just getting a little frustrated after driving this car 21 years
The ground in the pic is on the firewall pas side. Big wire goes from the engine block to the body. Called a "ground strap" it is super flexible as it moves with engine movement. When engine is running, the negative side power goes from the engine block/Alt to the body where vast majority of the load is grounded. If it is hard to get a socket on the bolt, I would take a stick of wood and hammer and bent the body lug down a bit. May bit of a surprise but head lights are grounded in the cabin on a common ground bolt.
-chart-

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The ground in the pic is on the firewall pas side. Big wire goes from the engine block to the body. Called a "ground strap" it is super flexible as it moves with engine movement. When engine is running, the negative side power goes from the engine block/Alt to the body
-chart-
i just took pictures of my gound wire on the rear passenger side,, i just cleaned the ground on fire wall , put some greese ,i think it might be running a little better but the car still has the flat spot in throttle body responce ,, i did clean the throttle body before with throttle body cleaner,, iam going to try to clean it one more time

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
-chart-
i checked my factory ground you cant see it in the picture ,,its a little frailed i did clean it,,,,,, going to add another ground since its hard to get to the back of the motor unless jacking up the car,... i did buy the no lux yesterday,, is yours a factory ground , i might buy one like yours,,,,,,also i might buy a better neg battery cable since the factory battery cables is so thin,, is the picture below of a gound ,, is this any good or should i buy a ground you have in your picture

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
478 Posts
When cleaning your throttle body, try removing it from the vehicle to access the complete throttle body. I was amazed at how dirty mine was the first time I cleaned it (removed). My idle issue was also gone after cleaning it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
-chart-
i have a new alternator less then a month ago,,,before cleaning the ground on firewall i noticed my idiot lights on my dash flicker espeaially the air bag light after i start my car the air bag light stays on a few seconds then goes off ,, no more idiot light flicker on the dash light after cleaning the ground ,, as far as my throttle body goes the ground didnt fix that ,, so i decided once more to pull off the air cleaner hose off sprayed my throttle body it fixed the flat spot but my car still has the miss at idle ,,,,,,but after starting my car cold srart i can smell a little gas fumes every time coming out of the tail pipe then the gas smell goes way ,, no check engine light on,,, ,, and i completely tuned up my car plugs coil and wires all motorcraft parts,, now iam going to check my egr valve or the egr sensor because theres a lot of vacumm on the fuel injector valve hose and i can feel just a faint vacumm on the egr valve cencor hose at idle,,,, i beleve the egr valve suppose to stay closed at idle ,, and iam also going to check my injectors them selves,, i am going to find a shop with a scan tool

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
When cleaning your throttle body, try removing it from the vehicle to access the complete throttle body. I was amazed at how dirty mine was the first time I cleaned it (removed). My idle issue was also gone after cleaning it.
i did clean the thottle body one more time and the flat spot went away ,, and i cleaned my firewall ground that chartmaker told me its done ,, after my 24 valve motor is warmed up and at a stop light it idles good for a few seconds but longer my car idles at stop light the miss gets worse sound like the motors gets louder at idle,,,, the car has lots of power when stepping on the gas, some times if i let the car idle the temp gauge goes up a little but the fan does not come on , i popped the hood one time i can smell motor oil like its getting a little hotter then i turn on my cars heater and the temp drop to normal,,only one time my car had black smoke at the tell pipe then it stopped,, i did change the MAF,, IAC ,, tuned up the car,, and filter and PCV valve

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts