Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My taurus won't up shift in gears and speedometer is always at 0. Thinking it's a bad speed sensor. Just wondering if anyone could show me where to locate the sensor and show me which sensor I should be purchasing. I have the AX4N transmission. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
330 Posts
I don't know exactly where your VSS is, but if it IS the issue, go for a Motorcraft sensor. When I replaced mine the first time, it lasted about 4 months. I don't drive much and was really unhappy with it. I bought a Motorcraft one to replace it and it hasn't given me any problem (about 3 years, 25K miles). They are about 3x the price but just saving a 2nd install is worth it. I believe the Motorcraft part number is DY1210. I'm guessing you have the Vulcan engine, so...

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Failed VSS will typically set a P0500 code, but not always. VSS is under a little protective "box" on the pass side tranny output shaft. Not the easiest thing to get to. Remove the "box" and remove the 2 pin electrical connector and the bolt holding the fork that holds the VSS in. Pull the VSS out. Inspect the plastic gear on the VSS to be sure it isnt damaged.

Reactions: mcsteven

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Should have a heat shield over the sensor. Slide a short piece of paper between the bolt and the socket before you reinstall it, that will keep the bolt in place.
TIP: check the wires on the connector first, sometimes they melt and short together, the VSS signal is not received by the computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts