Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums, I have been reading for a while now but I finally decided to create an account :). now I have a few problems, I need to do a smog check on my vehicle and I went to do a tune up did oil change and changed the air, oil and gas filter as well, new spark plugs and wire set. we passed the car through the computer and I have these codes show up.

P0152
P0155
P0453

I know that the 152 and 155 is the o2 sensor and I just replaced that today, but as far as the 0453 I do not know exactly what to change or how to fix it any input would be grat, and also I am installing a PCV valve but I do not know where it is so if anyone could show me an image that would be great.
thanks.

~Eddie

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for providing your vin letter. For future reference, you have the OHV or Vulcan engine as we call it.

P0152 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0155 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0453 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input

The P0453 can be a little tricky. Basically the computer is sensing there is too much pressure in the fuel tank. This could happen if you overfilled the tank or if there is some kind of blockage in the EVAP lines leading to the charcoal canister. It could also be a problem with the sensor itself or the wiring to it.

Try depressurizing the tank. Take the cap off and stick something in the filler nozzle to open the flap. See if you hear a hissing noise or a lot of vapor escaping. It could just be the gas got sloshed around to much or heated up too much and created an abnormal pressure.

Unfortunately the fuel tank pressure sensor is not easy to get to--it's on top of the fuel tank. First thing I would do is get under the car and start inspecting wires and hoses around the gas tank for faults. We'll go from there.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
I should also ask how the car is used. Is it new to your or has it been sitting for a long time? Is it being driven on a regular basis? Also how many miles? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply :)
well the car has about 140k miles on it, I got this car about 6 months ago. the previous owner used it for school, and I personally drive this car every day. btw to check the wiring do I need that tool with the light that lights up when there is energy( I forgot the name of the tool) :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
It's called a circuit tester. Actually I would recommend you get a digital multimeter (DMM) that can measure voltage and resistance (ohms). With the sensor disconnected and the key ON, look for voltage between the pins of the harness connector.

I think there are three pins on the sensor. The first one is the ground (check resistance to body, should be 0). The second one should be the sensor signal (about 2.5 volts, not more than 4.5 volts). The third pin is +5v. So with the key on you should get 5v between the outside pins. If you don't get any voltage, you probably have a bad wire or ground. Wiggle things around when you test too. Sometimes the problem is obvious once you look at it (like corroded terminals). You should also try to back probe the connector with the sensor connected. You should be getting about 2.5 volts to ground on the middle terminal. If it's more than about 4.5 volts, the sensor is bad or you have excessive pressure in the fuel tank.

Like I suggested before it would be a good idea to actually determine if you had high fuel tank pressure (hiss when removing gas cap) so you know if the sensor is actually working. It could possibly be a clog instead of a sensor/wiring issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the fuel tank cap and push on the little opening, but I did not hear anything, I will get the reader you said to test the wiring, how much do they usually cost..?

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^+1. If you have a harbor freight ad coupon from a sunday paper, you can get the above dmm free with any purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I have my multimeter and all, I just need help.. like you mentioned that I need to check the sensor part under my car, could you walk me through it in a 101 dummy guide.. xD.. or if you could show me a diagram on where to chek the voltage please I would really apreciate t. thanks.
the only code left now is that one code 0453 :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
okay so i went under my car and before i did all the readings test I noticed a small hose that was disconnected half way down I took a picture.. bad quality but I hope it points to the right direction, could that be the problem, that small hose I am talking about comes directly from where you fill up the tank next to the big hose for the gasoline

trouble uploading images... >_>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
alright, i tried to reconnect it but it has something inside of it, I am trying to get the pictures so someone tells me what hose is it and how to get the missing part .. justa few more mins and I will get the pics, phone is just being dumb right now
I will take pics tomorrow phone wont allow me to transfer the pics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay guys soo after checking and checking.. I decided to do a full diagnostics check on the car and the verdict.. that i need a new computer or so the guy tells me.. :/.. the reason.. because the owner before me connected the fan wiring directly into the fuse box.. thus damaging the computer and that i need to replace it, guy told me that it would be 300 for the computer and 150 for the labor, ( meaning he will reconnect the fan like it should be and check all the wiring of the car for any other problems and fix them.. is that true that because of the fan wire it screw with the computer... ?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
this is my thought on this. the 0453 is a evap code. the gas cap or sensor would be where i would start.
as far as the rigged fans.... does the fans work? if it does then i do not think it would cause the pcm to be damaged and cause a faulty evap code to show. if it would of damage the pcm it would cause a lot more issues. like no fans for 1 no start for 2 etc.....
is it good to rig your car... well no. can it cause damage... yeah it can. but in your case I do not think so. I think you are having a different issue. make a trip to the local junk yard and pick up a fuel cap. give it a try. its cheap and will help figure out the real issue.
as far as repairing the rigged wiring goes. I would. But i am just anal about my cars. I have worked on cars that was rigged that ran just fine.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the gas cap is just one of the items that can cause that code but it is the cheapest and easiest to check. some jy dont even charge for a gas cap and other ones only charge a dollar. you might also look at the filler neck for a hole

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
the gas cap is just one of the items that can cause that code but it is the cheapest and easiest to check. some jy dont even charge for a gas cap and other ones only charge a dollar. you might also look at the filler neck for a hole
Gas cap is not the most likely. See pic, this from '01.

The lower part of the tube looks worse, if you can imagine.

Easy to look and see, old rule, check the easy to check first. :lol2:

-chart-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts