Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum

I've recently purchased a Ford Taurus 1997 and I love it!
The car has been extremely well looked after but as it's getting old I'd like to make sure it's safe, given what I've found on the internet about that model.

I believe though, after trolling the net that the US model same year had several problems/ Recalls such as:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AX4S AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLES. THE LOW/INTERMEDIATE SERVO COVER CAN SEPARATE FROM THE TRANSAXLE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN. IF THIS OCCURS, TRANSMISSION FLUID WILL LEAK CONTACTING THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER.

I was also looking through the servicing history for the car and apparently in 1998 the cruise control was not working , so the wiring was fixed etc, but I'm wondering if the 'Ford Fire Recall' problem could be a possible future problem for me and what should I do? From what I can find, the Taurus was not listed in the recall but shares something with the Windstar??

The Ford Switch Defect Explained
The Ford Speed Control Deactivation Switch, also known as a "brake pressure switch," costs about $21. The switch shuts off the cruise control when the driver firmly steps on the brakes. The switch is located under the hood of the vehicle and is attached to the brake master cylinder on one end and wired to the cruise control on the other. This position places it above flammable reservoirs of brake fluid.

On most of its models, Ford designed the switch to be powered -- or "hot" -- at all times, even when the vehicle is off and the key is removed from the ignition.
Inside the switch, a thin film barrier separates brake fluid from the switch's electrical components.
Investigators say fires can break out under certain conditions, such as when the film cracks and brake fluid from the master cylinder seeps into the electrical side of the switch. This can cause a fire, even when the engine had been turned off and, in some cases, idle for days.
The following signs could indicate that you have a problem with your cruise-control switch: cruise control is not working properly; brake fluid is leaking around the switch; fuses are blown near the switch; or the fuse for the speed control cannot be opened.

I'm very new to motors and the like so I'm still learning. Sorry for my long post!
I was wondering if anyone else in Australia owns the Taurus and what or if any problems that they have had with it??
Also, what would I need to ask to get this checked?

So far my only problem has been that the car would stall if it idled for several minutes and funnily enough over the years the professional mechanics have not been able to find the source of the problem yet my good friend found the problem within 15mins , turns out it is a leak in a hose (F5DE-FD)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ghia models had the AX4N transmission (AX4S was on the US 3.0L OHV engine). And the cruise control/fire recall does not apply to the Ghia model either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the source of the problem turns out it is a leak in a hose (F5DE-FD)
This was the three inch 3/8" internal diameter 90 degree emission control hose (F5DE-FD) under the intake plenum that caused my 96 LX to throw lean mixture codes. I had not heard of this problem before, so followed the path that cost me hundreds of dollars first, based on the lean condition codes and parts counter boys. I just bought a foot of 3/8 in fuel line and looped it between the PVC valve and the plenum to replace the 90 degree shaped hose. I have heard that the Dorman HELP product display rack has a similar angle hose listed for GM for $6, but I haven't tried that solution yet.

Don't be like me. I spent $200 on the wrong parts, instead of $2 for the leaky hose. :angry: You can sometimes find vacuum leaks with ether (starting fluid) spray. If the engine speeds up you can locate the general area of the intake leak.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Pcv hose under the throttle body is the first thing to check when a gen3 tec throws po171-174 lean codes. Ive used the Help! (Dorman) #46002 s-shaped hose and simply cut off 1 end of the s making it a j or u-shaped candy cane hose. Ive also used #3029 u-shaped hose from advance auto from behind the counter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pcv hose under the throttle body is the first thing to check when a gen3 tec throws po171-174 lean codes. Ive used the Help! (Dorman) #46002 s-shaped hose and simply cut off 1 end of the s making it a j or u-shaped candy cane hose. Ive also used #3029 u-shaped hose from advance auto from behind the counter.
I just changed my J shaped tube from the PCV Valve and few others in the general area for that pesky 171 and 174 errors. Been driving it around today, and no sign of the codes so far. But I went one step futher I disected that U or J shaped hose. I took sections of it and noticed that the width on one side the hose wall was much thinner and one could see that it had deteriorated which is the area where the cracking occurred.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts