Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Taurus friends.

I am bringing my 95 Taurus back to life after its been sitting for few years.

My mechanic does fix european cars. But he will install all the necessary parts i purchased for the taurus.

My problem is at this moment, he is about to replace the brake pipes/hoses and he needs to replace the "box"?
or what exactly that could be called in english. I need to find out on either rockauto.com or amazon and purchase it.

I am attaching the picture.

Thank you very much for your help !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
That is the rear brake load sensing proportioning valve. It is load sensing in the sense that it adjusts brake pressure to the rear brakes based on the rear end ride height (heavy load in trunk = lower rear ride height). It failed on my 95 Vulcan several years ago causing one rear brake to not work at all. I found a brand new in the original Motorcraft box replacement valve on Ebay, but it wasnt cheap (somewhere north of $100). I havent seen any new or used ones for sale for a while, but then I havent really looked either.

I have heard of people bypassing the valve and just connecting the in/out brake lines for each side together. This MAY cause early rear wheel lockup in a panic stop or in slippery driving conditions when the trunk is empty or lightly loaded as higher fluid pressure will be applied to the rear brakes.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
If he takes his time with penetrating oil and heat he can get the fitting out of the block. I have done two of them. I cut the lines off after making a drawing or taking pictures and then used a six point socket to get them out. The pics are so you can determine which lines go to what spot.

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
^^^^^^ It is NOT anything related to ABS in any way. As I stated above, it is the load sensing proportioning valve for the rear brakes. I know this for a fact, as I replaced mine a few years ago.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
^^^^^^ +1 on the proportioning valve. I had the rod fail that connects the block to the swing arm on my 1991 Taurus and I had no difference in braking until I junked the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts