Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
^ They're more careful about securing the Navigation feature in general, so I doubt it's a hardware difference as much as a software key/license. The Navigation equipped units in SYNC 2 worked this way. Each of these APIMs have the ability to perform a GPS calculation--if only to support 911 Assist or FordPass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have no problem sourcing a sync 3 apim at a reasonable price, but I am just curious if any body has part numbers for sync 3 displays? I come across a lot that are advertised as sync 3, but are actually sync 2

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have no problem sourcing a sync 3 apim at a reasonable price, but I am just curious if any body has part numbers for sync 3 displays? I come across a lot that are advertised as sync 3, but are actually sync 2

So that was something I had the idea of trying to make as far as a list. There will be two parts numbers on the assembly. One for the screen, and one for the APIM.

When searching on car-part, they are listed by screen model number so it's easy to find a SYNC3 module since SYNC2 and SYNC3 are different screens. However, it would be nice to have a list of model numbers for APIMs confirmed NAV and non-NAV.

Would anyone else like to collaborate a list? I'll put it in the bottom of this tutorial and try to get it started. I can find some model numbers somewhere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After doing some calling around to some yards asking about these units. A LOT of them are selling the display and the module separately. Most of these places are charging 400+ just for the screen. I am having horrible luck finding an all in one unit at a decent price. If I wanted to spend that much I would just go to ebay.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
After doing some calling around to some yards asking about these units. A LOT of them are selling the display and the module separately. Most of these places are charging 400+ just for the screen. I am having horrible luck finding an all in one unit at a decent price. If I wanted to spend that much I would just go to ebay.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that lately. Some places are charging separately like you've said. I guess we just wait for more vehicles to get hit and thrown on a yard.

What also may be of use is searching locally rather than on car-part.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Unfortunately, I have noticed that lately. Some places are charging separately like you've said. I guess we just wait for more vehicles to get hit and thrown on a yard.

What also may be of use is searching locally rather than on car-part.
Yeah I looked locally and the newest car they have on the lot is a 2015 chevy cruze. Otherwise its all older vehicles. I live in upper Michigan so there is nothing much up here and the nearest big junk yard is 250 miles away. However. I was able to find a complete sync 3 module out of a 17 focus for 210 shipped. Was more than I wanted to spend, but seeing the other prices and how they are being sold separately now, that is a steal to me. Impulse buy even though I can not really afford it right now(college and everything) I could not pass it up. I will spend the extra 100 bucks on the other stuff later. As long as I have the module I am happy.

Little word of advice, I wouldn't even bother looking for modules in the ford truck section of car part. 600+just for the screen? Yeah right.

I found the most luck getting a module from the small car group like the escape and the focus at a decent price.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah I looked locally and the newest car they have on the lot is a 2015 chevy cruze. Otherwise its all older vehicles. I live in upper Michigan so there is nothing much up here and the nearest big junk yard is 250 miles away. However. I was able to find a complete sync 3 module out of a 17 focus for 210 shipped. Was more than I wanted to spend, but seeing the other prices and how they are being sold separately now, that is a steal to me. Impulse buy even though I can not really afford it right now(college and everything) I could not pass it up. I will spend the extra 100 bucks on the other stuff later. As long as I have the module I am happy.

Little word of advice, I wouldn't even bother looking for modules in the ford truck section of car part. 600+just for the screen? Yeah right.

I found the most luck getting a module from the small car group like the escape and the focus at a decent price.

That's actually a pretty good deal. And yes, the truck section is a complete nightmare. The inventory on that website is a little screwy but it works.

Heads up, even the Lincoln vehicles work as well. However, they tend to charge higher because "Lincoln".

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's actually a pretty good deal. And yes, the truck section is a complete nightmare. The inventory on that website is a little screwy but it works.

Heads up, even the Lincoln vehicles work as well. However, they tend to charge higher because "Lincoln".
Yeah I looked into the Lincoln ones as well and they are more pricey. I figured it was because "Lincoln" Lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Gonna quote you once more, Dog. I just finished the list of nav and non-nav part numbers. It's within the Taurus Excel sheet in the SYNC3 page.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AkbCmLfHYfZtgppxxJmjWcO43mislQ

·
Registered
144 Posts
Little update here for those who might run into this. I am seeing some of the sellers on car part and such are selling these APIMs without the cable going from the module to the screen. You can buy these if yours does not come with one. 4D tech has them as well as ebay. I would recommend ebay first as 4D tech has them for a bit more than you can get them on ebay. Couple links down below for these.

4D tech link(expensive) https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-touchscreen-to-apim-cable/

Ebay link https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=sync+3+apim+cable&_sacat=0

·
Registered
10 Posts
does anyone know if the control panel needs to be upgraded when going to sync 3? im talking about the front face panel (radio control panel face plate). can any of the panels with an 8" opening be used with sync 3 screens

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts

yes i was about to say that too.
stay away from Ford trucks. Ridiculous on the prices, my jaw hit the ground a few times

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
does anyone know if the control panel needs to be upgraded when going to sync 3? im talking about the front face panel (radio control panel face plate). can any of the panels with an 8" opening be used with sync 3 screens

thanks

Still, I have found some deals in the truck section. No harm in looking.

Also, the center control stack does not need to be upgraded. It's simply a housing for the interface and it's own interface for the climate control system.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got my unit today. Was kind of expecting it to be a sync 2 unit for the price, but it for sure is the sync 3 unit.

Also the price for the little USB adapter is pathetic. Have to spend another 100 just for the hub, adapter and antenna. Lol oh well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I got my unit today. Was kind of expecting it to be a sync 2 unit for the price, but it for sure is the sync 3 unit.

Also the price for the little USB adapter is pathetic. Have to spend another 100 just for the hub, adapter and antenna. Lol oh well.

The USB hub I could understand it's price. I got mine for $45. The wiring adapter, absolutely not. 4DTech is massively overpriced but unfortunately they are the only option sometimes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I figured I would share my experience with you all in case you run into some of the same issues. When I got the unit, I got it from a trashed 17 focus. It had different brackets on it than what the taurus has. I figured I could just switch the brackets over and be done with it. Unfortunately I ran into a small issue with the brackets. As you can see in the attached pic, the holes on the sync unit do not line up with the holes on the bracket. I ended up having to drill holes in the bracket (NOT THE UNIT) and make it look janky to get it to work. Another thing I ran into is I forgot to get as built data from another taurus to get the unit to work. If you just throw it in there and think you can change the necessary blocks in forscan to get what you want, you are going to have issues. I had to get as built data from another taurus and write ALL the blocks with that data for everything to work correctly. Some of the issues I ran into was climate control not working at all despite me enabling it, steering wheel controls did not work, the cluster was not showing anything in the right screen section other than climate, and ambient lighting did not work. Basically, anything that interfaced with another module in the car did not work. So I grabbed a random 17 taurus vin from car part and gathered the as built data from it, THEN programmed what I need for my car. All I needed to program from the as built I used was to enable the cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

A few things I noticed that have changed since upgrading. THE SONG TITLE AND ARTIST NOW COME THROUGH ON THE CLUSTER WHEN USING BLUETOOTH!!!! I was so happy about this and I still do not know why. With sync 2 all it would say is bluetooth stream detected and basically made that section of the cluster useless but now it actually has a purpose.

The screen is VERY responsive to touches and honestly, like Admiral said, Screw SYNC 2. I can actually go from 60 degrees to 70 in 10 touches instead of 17.

So far everything works just fine and am extremely happy with it.

Also, if you do run into any issues that are not covered in either this write up or in this post, sent a message to Admiral. He helped me out ALOT, and got my mind clear of everything.

I will say this again. Make sure you put the as built data from another newer taurus into the module before trying to use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Fantastic comment from @jaedenhudson14

As I will state further, it isn't just simply throwing the unit from one vehicle into the Taurus and expecting it to work right away. It will work for the most part, but the APIM is a bridge to much more in the vehicle than simply just controlling the media system.

The APIM will hold information for the vehicle fuel type, wheel base, transmission type, SCCM button arrangement, electronic or mechanical parking brake, etc. All the way to the very location of the GPS antenna. This is why it's extremely important to import an as-built file from a 2017 Taurus with SYNC3 (Preferably from one that matches your trim level), and edit your desired interface features from there.

I will input this information into the bottom of the tutorial in the Update section so all are aware for the future.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not exactly true....

Fantastic comment from @jaedenhudson14

As I will state further, it isn't just simply throwing the unit from one vehicle into the Taurus and expecting it to work right away. It will work for the most part, but the APIM is a bridge to much more in the vehicle than simply just controlling the media system.

The APIM will hold information for the vehicle fuel type, wheel base, transmission type, SCCM button arrangement, electronic or mechanical parking brake, etc. All the way to the very location of the GPS antenna. This is why it's extremely important to import an as-built file from a 2017 Taurus with SYNC3 (Preferably from one that matches your trim level), and edit your desired interface features from there.

I will input this information into the bottom of the tutorial in the Update section so all are aware for the future.

It doesn't hold fuel type, wheel base or anything related to the power train or braking systems.

It does hold available button settings (eg HD radio enable\disable, heated seat controls) and you'll find a long discussion about what the APIM holds on both 2gfusions.net & forscan.org

41 - 60 of 118 Posts