Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I found a unit from a 2017 Ford Edge with NAV. From what I've read elsewhere, the VIN needs to be updated on the unit to my VIN. How is that done?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, I found a unit from a 2017 Ford Edge with NAV. From what I've read elsewhere, the VIN needs to be updated on the unit to my VIN. How is that done?

That won't be required. My unit is from a different vehicle, of course, and did not require to be VIN matched. As long as you have the required parts listed in the tutorial, you're golden!

·
Registered
10 Posts
That won't be required. My unit is from a different vehicle, of course, and did not require to be VIN matched. As long as you have the required parts listed in the tutorial, you're golden!
I ordered everything else yesterday, except the wiring harness for the usb. They are out of stock until next week.
One last question. In order to do a maps update once the unit is in, do I simply supply the VIN that is shown on the new display and download to a usb stick?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ordered everything else yesterday, except the wiring harness for the usb. They are out of stock until next week.
One last question. In order to do a maps update once the unit is in, do I simply supply the VIN that is shown on the new display and download to a usb stick?

As far as updating the unit itself, the tutorial has all the info required. But updating the maps I'm not exactly sure. I actually never looked into that.
Where did you find a place to update the maps?

And yes, I would assume it's the VIN the APIM is programmed to. Do not use your vehicle VIN because if you're getting this update from Ford, you'll be denied since our VINs are too 'old' to have SYNC3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where did you find a place to update the maps?
I found this on the Ford Escape forum:

The Sync 3 Navigation upgrade is now available for the 2016 and 17. The part number is live, and the update is on USB from Ford.

Part Number is VJJ5Z19H449A SYNC 3 USB W/ License file NA1.16 1

You must have:
Vehicle VIN
SYNC ECU Serial Number (ESN) found at the bottom of the General Settings. It is an 8 alphanumeric number. If it looks like it starts with a W, that actually is V V.
Must have software version 2.0 or higher installed If not, then Sync 3 will require additional updates before the software can be installed.
Must also have Nav 1.14 or 1.15. Those are current versions on 2016-17.
Install is estimated at 70 minutes.

Price is $150 + tax.

If you have problems ordering the update through your dealer, you might call
Griffin Ford
511 W. Seventh St

Tifton, GA 31794
(229)382-1303
Ask for Trevor in Parts. He said he would order and ship to you. He will need your VIN and ESN numbers.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found this on the Ford Escape forum:

The Sync 3 Navigation upgrade is now available for the 2016 and 17. The part number is live, and the update is on USB from Ford.

Part Number is VJJ5Z19H449A SYNC 3 USB W/ License file NA1.16 1

You must have:
Vehicle VIN
SYNC ECU Serial Number (ESN) found at the bottom of the General Settings. It is an 8 alphanumeric number. If it looks like it starts with a W, that actually is V V.
Must have software version 2.0 or higher installed If not, then Sync 3 will require additional updates before the software can be installed.
Must also have Nav 1.14 or 1.15. Those are current versions on 2016-17.
Install is estimated at 70 minutes.

Price is $150 + tax.

If you have problems ordering the update through your dealer, you might call
Griffin Ford
511 W. Seventh St

Tifton, GA 31794
(229)382-1303
Ask for Trevor in Parts. He said he would order and ship to you. He will need your VIN and ESN numbers.

Gotcha. Well I may do that at some point. Good work! I wonder if they'll get scared and not ship the USB if I or someone mentions the SYNC3 unit was swapped in place of a SYNC2 unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gotcha. Well I may do that at some point. Good work! I wonder if they'll get scared and not ship the USB if I or someone mentions the SYNC3 unit was swapped in place of a SYNC2 unit.
Once I get the 2017 Edge APIM I ordered, I'll see how hold the maps are. I may forego the map upgrade, since I can use WAZE and maps on my iphone, connected through the carplay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once I get the 2017 Edge APIM I ordered, I'll see how hold the maps are. I may forego the map upgrade, since I can use WAZE and maps on my iphone, connected through the carplay.
Well, I'm back to looking for a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation. The yard that I was buying it from called back and said the unit was gone from the car they were parting. So much for that...

If anyone that reads this has a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation, or knows of one, that is reasonably priced, please reach out to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I'm back to looking for a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation. The yard that I was buying it from called back and said the unit was gone from the car they were parting. So much for that...

If anyone that reads this has a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation, or knows of one, that is reasonably priced, please reach out to me.

Thanks!

Well that's a shame :/ You're using car-part to search?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes. Checking to see if there are new cars, daily. Tough find though. Have searches on ebay setup also.

eBay tends to be super pricey. I'd stick to just car-part and search all 2016 and 2017 models of Ford vehicles. Go through the F-150, Explorer, Taurus, Fusion, Edge, Expedition, Mustang, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the parts you listed using your numbers, but the module doesn't fit in the bezel. In looking at your picture, the module is squarish like mine, and the bezel is the same shape as mine. But, the bezel opening isn't square like the module and doesn't fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the parts you listed using your numbers, but the module doesn't fit in the bezel. In looking at your picture, the module is squarish like mine, and the bezel is the same shape as mine. But, the bezel opening isn't square like the module and doesn't fit.
Never mind. I found out I was shipped the wrong module. They sent me module part # HP5T-14F014-BC, instead of HC3Z-19A387-B...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have a quick question regarding this. When I am looking for a sync unit, does it need to have navigation or can it be added later? The people who claim they are without navigation are much cheaper than the ones that have it. I am wondering if it is just a software change or is there a legit difference between them?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
any luck? im also looking. ebay has some expensive prices like geez dang

Keep searching car-part! Guaranteed cheapest option on the internet. It's kinda difficult to find one with pictures and all to verify, however it's well worth the search.

Keep in mind, ANY SYNC3 unit except from the Fiesta and C-Max will fit and work inside any other Ford vehicle, including the Taurus.

Have a quick question regarding this. When I am looking for a sync unit, does it need to have navigation or can it be added later? The people who claim they are without navigation are much cheaper than the ones that have it. I am wondering if it is just a software change or is there a legit difference between them?

So navigation MUST be from factory. There unfortunately isn't a way to add it into the unit like there was with SYNC2. This means it's a hardware difference between the NAV and non-NAV units.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts