Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted awhile ago about Head Gasket Problems with a 94 Taurus 3.8 Engine. Here is the update. Ford does not back its defects!! First it was Transmission problems at 60,000 miles cost of $2500..now its Head Gaskets and a Engine that has to be replaced, because, of the Head Gaskets blowing. Towed it over to two different places for estimates and opinions..$4,400 for repairs plus the $2500 from before on a car that only has 83,000 miles. This is the worst piece of crap I have ever owned. And will never own a Ford product as long as I live. Ford does not answer, only sends out form letters, which does nothing.

Now I understand, why everyone is going to Foreign Cars!!!!

I guess I will be junking this car..not worth fixing for $4,400, when the car is only worth by book value $1,300 and it probably will only happen again, because its a FORD (FIX AND REPAIR DAILY...FOUND ON ROAD DEAD)... :angry:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Us 3.8L owners have all had issues with head gaskets. Sadly, its just a part of owning a 3.8L. Thunderbird, Windstar, Mustang and Taurus owners have all had this problem. It was due to a bad design and Ford decided not to help. They did send customers coupons to buy new cars at a discount, maybe you got yours used.

Sorry buddy, but your car is older and should be serviced or traded in. I had a 1992 Taurus that had the same problem. If you don't want to fix it, trade it in for your Honda or whatever. Don't be fooled though, Foreign cars have issues too. Do research before you buy.

In the mean time,

:nopity:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ummmm... dude, you're driving a 10 year old car. You've given us no history on how long you've had it or how it has been maintained, but here's a shocking update - OLD CARS BREAK. The better maintained and treated they are, the less they break and usually cost less to fix...

I don't care WHAT make of car you have, if it is a 1994, NO manufacturer is going to repair any problems that arise with it...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by DEARBORN@Sep 9 2004, 06:27 PM
Posted awhile ago about Head Gasket Problems with a 94 Taurus 3.8 Engine. Here is the update. Ford does not back its defects!! First it was Transmission problems at 60,000 miles cost of $2500..now its Head Gaskets and a Engine that has to be replaced, because, of the Head Gaskets blowing. Towed it over to two different places for estimates and opinions..$4,400 for repairs plus the $2500 from before on a car that only has 83,000 miles. This is the worst piece of crap I have ever owned. And will never own a Ford product as long as I live. Ford does not answer, only sends out form letters, which does nothing.

Now I understand, why everyone is going to Foreign Cars!!!!

I guess I will be junking this car..not worth fixing for $4,400, when the car is only worth by book value $1,300 and it probably will only happen again, because its a FORD (FIX AND REPAIR DAILY...FOUND ON ROAD DEAD)... :angry:
Yes it is unfortunate for that to have happend to you.... but it is not a problem that exists in all ford products. Every manufacturer has their problems... unfortunately you got one which was a total failure. I can tell you I have seen multiple failures of the same component and several others in foreign cars as well.... i've experienced this with Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsubishis..... SUCKS... But it happens. Anything mechanical can fail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one is aiming to put down the board, obviously you dont know what Im posting. This has nothing to do with the Board..its ABOUT FORD!!! I bought this car brand new..and have had nothing but problems with it. Yes cars have problems..but, this is known defects from FORD. Three mechanics at three different shops all said the same thing another Ford Taurus with a 3.8 Engine from 94..We love them, because, they keep us in Business. Exact Quote!!!

Ford will never back there DEFECTS..NOR WILL THE DEALERS!!! even at 60,000 miles, which at that time I considered it still a new car..the DEALER AND FORD would not own up to known defects for the failed piston that effected the Transmissions..never a recall..yet they knew about it.

They sure no how to Wine and Dine you ..stick up the Balloons to rope you in at the Showrooms...try to get help later when you need it!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Thats no different then my 1992 Taurus, it was a brand new Ford lease car. My Father-In-Law worked at Ford at the PDC group and he sold me his Taurus. The Taurus was in the family for over 11 years when I got rid of it. It sounds like you have had yours for a long time already, I am sure it has provided many trouble free miles.

Just get the headgaskets done. If you live in Dearborn, MI there is a shop on Michigan Ave, called Mel's Auto Clinic in Canton that did mine for about $800. They do good work and I have been around a long time. After you get those gaskets done, you can continue to enjoy your car.

I have been in your shoes and almost swore off Ford. I am a big fan of Kia and almost bought a Sorento to replace my Taurus but I decided to give them another chance. So far, I am very happy with my car.

This stuff happens. Just fix it and keep driving! You got the tranny fixed already, that is a big expense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fordaspiregv,

If, it were only Head Gaskets..I would be in Heaven. Unfortunately, three different mechanics at three different shops, gave me the Bad News. Since, the Head Gaskets, which is a known Ford Defect ( on the 3.8 Engine) blew out, it destroyed my Engine, with a cost of $4,400 for a new Engine. Im sure none of you would want this expense at 83,000 miles..remember at 60,000 it was $2,500, not including the defective Engine Mounts, which were another $400..another DEFECT OF FORD!!!

I did a search on the Internet, there are Class Action Suits all over the place on the same issues against FORD, WITH THERE FAMOUS 3.8 ENGINES!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
im pretty sure u can find a used newer model 3.8, the ones with no problems on ebay for around $600, installing a motor isnt that hard, u can do it in less than a week

G

·
There's a lot of complaints about every car manufacturer all over the internet. 96-99 V8 SHO owners got poked with bad camshafts, and ruined engines to the tune of $13000 in some cases. All on a car that cost about $30k new. I'd be pissed as hell, and probably swear off Ford too.

I've had my share of problems with our 97 Vulcan. Blew the head gaskets at 70k due to not having a recall bypass tube installed, even though the dealer said it did. Fixed it myself, and it's been fine ever since.

I understand your being pissed, however if you're only here to complain, you're going to meet up with some resistance.

Also, if the whole engine is ruined due to a blown head gasket, the car was driven WAY too long with the head gasket blown. Many 3.8's have been repaired with new head gaskets, and a machine shop service on the heads with very good results.

If you need help, we're more than willing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was blowing white smoke all over the road. The car was stopped immediately and towed to the shop. I dont think that was riding over the limit.

I would love to replace the engine myself, however, I dont have the tools or equipment to do it myself.

And I know the shops overcharge..thats how they make there money!!!

So, the bottom line is Im stuck with a car that should have gone many, many more miles than this!

Again, a American Made Piece of S--t!!!!

You all might want to search the Internet..Im not alone on these issues..obviously, you all have some interest in Ford!!

Everyone I talk to ..agrees 83,000 miles with all these problems IS A CAR THAT SUCKS!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
For heaven sakes,

Dude.. I have been there (many of us have). We are all aware that people are upset about their 3.8Ls. I am also not defending Ford for their lack of action on the issue but really this is a very old problem. The problem has been corrected in newer models so life has gone on.

You had warning too, and you DIDN'T take action. Did the heater work? Did you smell anti-freeze?

If it makes you feel better, most Lincoln Continental models had the gaskets recalled. You should have bought one of those.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Okay, I don't think you have gotten the message you little flamer :newbie:. We know about the problem, and have known about it for some time. If all you are going to do is complain, then I suggest you leave. You have not comprehended what we have said to you. Even the president of the club put it out for you, simple as can be. :slap: You have gotten a good number of years/miles out of the car. If you would like, many low milage, used Tauruses can be found here for insanely low prices! -->Ebay Motors. Get The Message? If these posts continue, I believe that the mods may regard you as a troll.

--FS20 B)

edit: spelling

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fordaspiregv,

It might be an old problem ..but, its a new one for me at the tune of $4,400.00 DAH!!!..How would you like it??? No one buys a car and expects a life of only 83,000 miles..WAKE UP!!!

I guess Ford cant get there act together, because, they are recalling F-150's, Mini Vans and there Focus'...how about getting it right the first time!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
A used 3.8= 5$500
Average install $700

Your getting raped. Alos, im sure thet the engine can be repaired if what you say is true.

Hope you enjoy your honda thats already started to rust out even thoe you dont own it yet!

Brad

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Mine only had 68,000 when it decided to pop the head gasket. I watched my temp gauge go crazy, I lost heat and smelled anti-freeze with the blower on. I shopped around and found a good deal on my head gasket repair and got the work done. After that I started having tranny issues and then I traded it in. I lost my shirt on that car, I got a whole $800 for it.

Call Mel's Auto Clinic at (734) 728-2000 and talk to them. They might be able to get you a slightly used engine and replace the head gasket for cheaper then that. It is the best auto repair place in town. Its across from Wayne Assembly on Michigan Ave.

G

·
Originally posted by DEARBORN@Sep 9 2004, 07:50 PM
obviously, you all have some interest in Ford!!

Incorrect. We're a group of people who own common cars. We're here to back each other up, and help where we can. This site is operated solely by donations made by its members. We have no affiliation with Ford.

Not sure what you're thinking that your persisent bitching is going to fix, but it needs to stop.

You have a useless (to you) car. No amount of bitching will change that, so there's really no sense in carrying on about it.

LOCKED THREAD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.