Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says ford is replacing the catalytic converters on my taurus. This seems like a bit early for them to fail, What could have of caused it? Or might they have of been defective? Only thing i can come up with is that its running a bit rich but i will have to pull the plugs to see. Replaced plugs and wires at 45k as i had a random misfire code. Running Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 in the winter and 5w-30 in the summer with a bosch filter at about 8 - 9 k between changes.

The motor doesn't seem to consume more oil than normal which is about half a quart at 5k. I do drive the car a bit hard at times, maybe once or twice a week i'll go out for a spirited drive. Otherwise not much stop or go driving. Just looking for thoughts on this so i can avoid a future replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I'm a bit confused -- did the dealer refuse to explain why they're replacing the cats? (I'm assuming they're doing this for free, under warranty?)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 23 2009, 01:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719950
I'm a bit confused -- did the dealer refuse to explain why they're replacing the cats? (I'm assuming they're doing this for free, under warranty?)[/b]
Ah well i seemed to have of left that part out ;).. Took it into the dealer a few weeks ago because of a CEL pointing to bank 1 cat efficiency and yes under the 88k emissions warranty. They haven't been able to give me a reason as to why they have failed however.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
If it was a manufacturing error, replacing them should make life good for a very long time.

If engine fuel mixture problems were the cause, the dealer should be addressing whatever is causing that. Unless they think this repair will carry the car out of warranty and it won't be their problem next time around.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Why worry about the reason, just be glad they are doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (sfhess @ Apr 23 2009, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719980
Why worry about the reason[/b]
Because if it's a mixture / vacuum leak / PCM / coil problem that caused the original failure, the new ones will fail and Imaperson will get to replace them later while shelling out medium-big bucks.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts