Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I want to repair my ford, and I find this ford ids, I have heard that this tool is the best tool for ford. I haven't used it beofore. I hope you can give me some suggestion. The reall function of it. Thanks a lot...

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
hi, I want to repair my ford, and I find this ford ids, I have heard that this tool is the best tool for ford. I haven't used it beofore. I hope you can give me some suggestion. The reall function of it. Thanks a lot...
Welcome to the forum!

That's the tool the Ford dealers use to communicate with the vehicle. What's the problem you're having? We're full service around here!

If you just need to read codes (OBD II), there are plenty of options available for about $50. The only reason you would need to pay more is if you had an ABS or Airbag issue and needed to electronically troubleshoot. We can help you will all that here for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum!

That's the tool the Ford dealers use to communicate with the vehicle. What's the problem you're having? We're full service around here!

If you just need to read codes (OBD II), there are plenty of options available for about $50. The only reason you would need to pay more is if you had an ABS or Airbag issue and needed to electronically troubleshoot. We can help you will all that here for free.
thanks for your reply, I also want to know if this tool can pro for key?:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You seem to be way more skilled than I am.
You may be wrong, I just a new comer, and i am always interesting in the car repair research. And I have heard that this tool can pro for key, then I want to know if this is really???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey man, I saw some words about this tool yesterday, say that: good diagnostic tool, yes; good programmer, no.
But I'm not sure if the newest version would be more powerful.
Hope this can help you.
really? Are you sure? But I have heard that it can program for Ford? Isn't it?:huh::huh:

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Hopefully this answers your questions: IDS_VCM_VMM_Usage

I know it will do module reprogramming (as will any J2534 pass through). And it does say it will do "PATS functions" so I don't know if that means you can program keys or not.

If you look on the sidebar of the above webpage, there is also a link to a warning about counterfeit VCM's. These things should cost at least $2000, so I'm pretty sure the one in the original post is fake for only $400. It's also has no label. Finally, it's on a Chinese website so I wouldn't let my credit card number get anywhere near it no matter what it was.

A real mechanic would pay for the real deal because the reliability, functionally, and time savings is worth the added expense. Only buy from Rotunda or an authorized dealer if you want the real deal with Ford support.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well, here is my take on it. The tool is ether a knock off clone of an existing ford tool, or the tool is actually OEM'd in china and the factory is doing a "night time run" to sell to un authorized sources. Common practice in China. Hell, they even had Phoney apple stores open! And you wonder what killed Steve jobs.

Most of these tools require a subscription from ford to get the cal data and such. are you going to be able to get this with a knock off scanner?

My advice to the cloners, you better make it cheaper if you want to sell it.

also strange that two of the posters just registered in October 2011. Yea, there shills. Is the tool usable? who knows at this point. You want
to gamble 400 to find out? You make it around $100 and you might get some attention.

Maybe i will see it at harbor freight for $120 next year... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
The Ford VCM is completely made in the USA (which is partly why it costs more). It might use a few Chinese-sourced chips though. The thing was completely copied (pretty well I might add). The circuit boards are made with different materials (Tin plated vs. Gold plated) and slightly different components, but the boards look to have the exact same layout, so it looks like the plans were leaked (perhaps from one Chinese supplier to another). I wonder if the counterfeit ones say "Made in the USA" on the back or not.

I've heard rumors that Ford is coming out with a new diagnostic interface in the next year or so. I believe they will be using the same supplier that GM uses. I have a feeling they won't be dealing with any Chinese suppliers this time.

You can buy a subscription for updates for about $25 I think that will last 48-72 hours. Enough to update all your cars at once if you have a VCM or a J2534 pass through tool.

As far as the fake Apple store stuff, I know some of the customers (and even employees) knew the store and stuff was fake, but they bought/sold it anyway. I think most of the electronic stuff over there is copied or fake in some way, but the consumers accept this and don't really care. I think as long as it works they're happy. I read once the counterfeit rate for Windows was as high as 90% over there. I'm glad Microsoft still allows fake Windows users to download security updates otherwise the internet would be crashing every other day...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The Ford VCM is completely made in the USA (which is partly why it costs more). It might use a few Chinese-sourced chips though. The thing was completely copied (pretty well I might add). The circuit boards are made with different materials (Tin plated vs. Gold plated) and slightly different components, but the boards look to have the exact same layout, so it looks like the plans were leaked (perhaps from one Chinese supplier to another). I wonder if the counterfeit ones say "Made in the USA" on the back or not.

You can buy a subscription for updates for about $25 I think that will last 48-72 hours. Enough to update all your cars at once if you have a VCM or a J2534 pass through tool.

I'm glad Microsoft still allows fake Windows users to download security updates otherwise the internet would be crashing every other day...
So you actually BOUGHT one of these to be able to know whats inside of it? And you used it and it functions as it should? Is the Chinese software
just cracked clones of the FORD USA software?

As far as MS goes, unless you have activated WGA, you DON't get all the updates

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
So you actually BOUGHT one of these to be able to know whats inside of it? And you used it and it functions as it should? Is the Chinese software
just cracked clones of the FORD USA software?
HECK NO! There are pictures on the Ford website of the internals. However, if I were made of money and had a really great credit card company I would buy these things and take pictures for you guys for fun. :D I have no idea if they'll run Ford's software without modifications or not.

I would like it if I could pick up a used VCM from a dealer in decent condition. Maybe with the new tools coming out there will be a few unless Ford decides to seize them.
As far as MS goes, unless you have activated WGA, you DON'T get all the updates.
True, but you still get the critical ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts