Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford recalls nearly 900,000 cars

U.S. second-largest automaker says some Taurus and Mercury Sable sedans have defective springs.

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. has recalled 899,060 Taurus and Mercury Sable sedans registered in cold-weather states due to defective front springs that can break and puncture a tire, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The recall affects 1999, 2000 and 2001 model-year Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable sedans, NHTSA said.

The cars, sold in 22 states, have defective springs that could break when used in high-corrosion areas, especially areas where salt is used on roads, and puncture a front tire.

Ford dealers have been asked to install protective spring shields, according to NHTSA.

The second-largest U.S. automaker recently recalled 25,000 2004 model-year Taurus, Mercury Sable and Thunderbird cars due to problems with the front seats, which could rattle or come loose.

Ford also recalled 145,500 F-Series Super Duty pickup trucks, Excursion sport utility vehicles, Crown Victoria police vehicles, and Lincoln Town cars for a variety of defects, including defective axles that could cause wheels to squeak.

All three of Detroit's automakers have claimed dramatic quality improvements in recent years, but they continue to be hit by a disproportionately high number of vehicle recalls.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I called the Ford dealer about the problem and gave the VIN# of my car. Since mine was assembled in Chicago this apparently includes me. I'm having the work done later this week.

I've never had a problem with my 99 though, after 124,000 miles on the stock springs.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by SEL2000@Jul 17 2004, 01:55 AM
i'm calling ford tomm.. if there open on a SAT lol
Most are :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Hmm.. Were the springs different on 96-98 Taurii? Good thing I will replacing my springs with cargo coils next spring.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Ford has been the KING of regional recalls in the past few years. Just because a car is not registered in a "cold weather state" does not mean it hasn't been exposed to salt. In Colorado most areas don't use salt but in areas of the high country they sure do. People are much more mobile then years ago what of the Taurus owners who move to a cold weather state? What about the people who buy the car on Ebay or other venues to use in their cold weather state and get hurt because the vehicle was not originally repaired because of its location. I call shenanigans!!

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS COULD POTENTIALLY FRACTURE WHEN OPERATED IN HIGH CORROSION AREAS (WHERE SALT IS USED ON THE ROADWAYS FOR WINTER). A FRACTURED SPRING COULD MOVE PAST THE SPRING SEAT AND CONTACT A FRONT TIRE.

G

·
I just called the Ford Customer Relationship Center @ 800-392-3673 and found out my car is affected in the recall.

They asked if I had any "symptoms", which were car leaning to either side or a noise. The way it sounded with who I talked to was that they only wanted to look at your car if you had symptoms. So I would recommend that if you call you say you have a little noise or something just so it's documented in the case of a failure. This way if something happens they can't say that you said you didn't have any symptoms. Just a little CYA. ;) Also, if you take it in - don't forget to remove your FSTB - I don't think they'd be happy to see that. :)

Oh, and they extended the warranty on these cars to be covered for 10 years or 150k miles - very generous. B)

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Jul 17 2004, 03:02 PM
I just called the Ford Customer Relationship Center @ 800-392-3673 and found out my car is affected in the recall.

They asked if I had any "symptoms", which were car leaning to either side or a noise. The way it sounded with who I talked to was that they only wanted to look at your car if you had symptoms. So I would recommend that if you call you say you have a little noise or something just so it's documented in the case of a failure. This way if something happens they can't say that you said you didn't have any symptoms. Just a little CYA. ;) Also, if you take it in - don't forget to remove your FSTB - I don't think they'd be happy to see that. :)

Oh, and they extended the warranty on these cars to be covered for 10 years or 150k miles - very generous. B)
I just got my car back from the dealer today. I had it in for the brake switch recall. The tech actually was mighty impressed with the STB, and he was asking alot of questions about it. Plus I had an inner tierod replaced (sad face) but premium care covered it.

-DC

G

·
Originally posted by duratecchie+Jul 17 2004, 04:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (duratecchie @ Jul 17 2004, 04:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jason8225@Jul 17 2004, 03:02 PM

They asked if I had any "symptoms", which were car leaning to either side or a noise.  The way it sounded with who I talked to was that they only wanted to look at your car if you had symptoms.  So I would recommend that if you call you say you have a little noise or something just so it's documented in the case of a failure.  This way if something happens they can't say that you said you didn't have any symptoms.  Just a little CYA.  ;)  Also, if you take it in - don't forget to remove your FSTB - I don't think they'd be happy to see that.  :)

Oh, and they extended the warranty on these cars to be covered for 10 years or 150k miles - very generous.  B)
I just got my car back from the dealer today. I had it in for the brake switch recall. The tech actually was mighty impressed with the STB, and he was asking alot of questions about it. Plus I had an inner tierod replaced (sad face) but premium care covered it.

-DC [/b][/quote]
Wow, I can't believe they wouldn't say the STB voids warranty or something! :eek: I'm going to take mine off just in case - because that would be my luck, lol. That's cool they like it though. B)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Do I have to call the toll-free number to find if my car is qualified for recall, or should I wait to get the letter in the mail?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Jul 17 2004, 03:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Jul 17 2004, 03:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 04:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Jul 17 2004, 03:02 PM

They asked if I had any "symptoms", which were car leaning to either side or a noise.  The way it sounded with who I talked to was that they only wanted to look at your car if you had symptoms.  So I would recommend that if you call you say you have a little noise or something just so it's documented in the case of a failure.  This way if something happens they can't say that you said you didn't have any symptoms.  Just a little CYA.  ;)  Also, if you take it in - don't forget to remove your FSTB - I don't think they'd be happy to see that.  :)

Oh, and they extended the warranty on these cars to be covered for 10 years or 150k miles - very generous.  B)

-DC
Wow, I can't believe they wouldn't say the STB voids warranty or something! :eek: I'm going to take mine off just in case - because that would be my luck, lol. That's cool they like it though. B) [/b][/quote]
Yeah they didnt say anything about the SFCs either. I was surprised at first, but its all good now.

G

·
Originally posted by Darthenstein@Jul 17 2004, 04:47 PM
Do I have to call the toll-free number to find if my car is qualified for recall, or should I wait to get the letter in the mail?
If you want to find out faster, I would just call. I just got the one about the brake pedal switch thing a couple of weeks ago and that one had been out for quite a while before I got the letter. :)

G

·
Originally posted by duratecchie+Jul 17 2004, 04:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (duratecchie @ Jul 17 2004, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 04:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Jul 17 2004, 03:02 PM

-DC

Wow, I can't believe they wouldn't say the STB voids warranty or something! :eek: I'm going to take mine off just in case - because that would be my luck, lol. That's cool they like it though. B)
Yeah they didnt say anything about the SFCs either. I was surprised at first, but its all good now. [/b][/quote]
That's cool especially since those aren't exactly easily removable. ;) :p

G

·
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Jul 18 2004, 02:20 AM
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...=5348&hl=spring

Hmmm. I wonder if I can get reimbursed for the cost of the parts I had to buy for this...
It's generally Ford's policy that they will as long as you can provide receipts, etc. I'd call the customer relationship center, make sure your car is included in the recall (probably is) and tell them it happened to you and I bet they'll reimburse you. Let us know the results. Hope they give it to you. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm surprised no one has said anything about the fact that Ford is yet again feeding us another heaping, steaming pile of crap.

Why is Ford only putting these crappy little shields over the springs instead of fixing the problem? I don't care how much it will cost the company to replace 1,798,120 springs, I want the problem fixed. With all of the money I have dumped or will be dumping into this thing to keep it running at 75,000 miles, they at least owe this to me. The spring is still going to break and the only thing this will stop is the spring from possibly blowing up all over the place. I don't want some $hitty, half-a$$ed fix so when the spring does break, I still end up paying for it.

Thanks again Ford. :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Its a good thing I threw those junk ass Ford springs away and put some Roush's on. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts