Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I had new tires and two replacement wheels put on my car on Saturday. I was also supposed to have an alignment done.late on saturday the Gemeni service center calls me up and says that my Inner Tie Rod on my driver's side needs to be replaced soon. They wanted $150 bucks for it and I've heard it's a pain to do without the right tools, so I said they could go ahead and do it.

A while later I call them back to check in. They tell me that they have the old tie rod end out, but the replacement part is wrong. I'm thinking the idiots ordered the wrong part. They tell me they can't find the right part in any of the stores in the area I then go to the Autozone that's like 15 minutes away and get what should be the right part, but they were closed by the time I had it. I brought the part in the next morning, but of course the service techs don't work on sundays. They said they'd take care of it first thing on monday. They called me up late monday and said they had it done, but here's the interesting story.

The part listed for a 2000+ taurus didn't fit.

A '99 Taurus part didn't fit.

The part that fit... was from a Gen 3 SHO!

So, it seam somehow ford managed to install a Gen 3 SHO rack and pinion from the factory in my car. Were they just using left over SHO parts on some of the early model Gen 4's?

Of course to make things further interesting, they managed to gouge one of my new rims and so they told me up front and took 150 off the bill (The wheels are $95 / each right now.. likes like 106 shipped). They'll also mount and balance the tire on the new rim for free when it gets here.

SOOOO.... that's my story. Very interesting I thought. I guess my car as a 'lil SHO in it afterall.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Thats pretty cool...doesn't really make sense that they were still using SHO parts, but hey, you could also have a baby sho!

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Do you have VAPS?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's Variable Assist Power Steering? how would I tell? I do know that my wheel requires a little more force to turn then Wes's '98 SE. I just assumed that was less power assist or a different gearing in the rack.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@May 25 2004, 12:29 PM
Of course to make things further interesting, they managed to gouge one of my new rims and so they told me up front and took 150 off the bill (The wheels are $95 / each right now.. likes like 106 shipped). They'll also mount and balance the tire on the new rim for free when it gets here.
What set of wheels do you have?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I think there would have to be a fuse for it. It's one of the big orange ones in the engine compartment. On the SHO, it controls both VAPS and SARC. If you pull the fuse, PS assist drops significantly at idle.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Jesus you have alot of problems with the service techs :eek:

It wouldnt surprise if it was a leftover rack, its not like the G3 SHO sold insanely fast to get all the produced parts installed. :lol2:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@May 25 2004, 01:17 PM
Do you have VAPS?
I doubt you have vaps unless gen 4s come with some sort of vaps normally. The computer wouldn't have the code for it and likely Ford wouldn't add it in. It would also require a different ps pump I think. All three gen 3 engines use different kinds of pump setups depending on the rack.

Probably like running sarcs without the computer. It's not like Ford hasn't done stupider things like slo pumps in gen 2 shos.

My 99 had 2000 rear wheel bearing hubs.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pats probably right. It would surprise me to find a VAPS system even if I have a SHO rack. Ford didn't exactly make performance upgrades on the '00... with changes like no rear disc break option... I'm just adding VAPS to a SLO wasn't on thier to-do list. Even so, I'll look for the formentioned fuse anyway or if it's a computer thing, I might be able to just ask Alberto from American Motorsport since he coded my machine.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Ok, I'm trying to remember back to my Steering rack rebuilding days........ (which was a couple monthes ago)

IIRC.....

the 96-99 Taurus and the 00-03 Taurus use the same inner tie rod end....

now the SHO uses a (IIRC again) 1 inch longer tie rod end...... the ends where they thread onto the rack are the same...... the only difference is in the lenght of the end itself....

the only explanation for that is if somehow the SHO suspension got transfered in..... otherwise, like was saying..... wait..... IIRC again (doh) SHO's 96-9 never had VAPS..... they used a ZF rack, and used an internal VAPS...... hmmmm have to think on that one.....

I know on the rack, there is one connector....... and it's not at all like te 96-9 Taurii racks......

just a simple 2 pin connector

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know myself. I know that the Outer End fit on any of the inner ends. I guess the tie rod is longer or shorter? It wasn't clear from what the guy said weather or not the inner end was the same or not. Like I said, he tried all kinds of Taurus ITRE and only the SHO one worked.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Alex_Perry@May 27 2004, 01:36 PM
check for the harness on the rack. see if you can find another 00 taurus to compare steering feel, too. or hell, even a gen3 sho.
Like I said, find out if you have VAPS. If you do indeed have a ZF rack, but don't have VAPS, it will feel totally different than a G3 SHO.

How many turns to go lock-to-lock? If it's the ZF rack, it should be 2.7

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some Gen4's have VAPS, I know it was included on those units with the Duratec on 02s and 03's not sure about 04s or 00-01.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts