Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on a 2000 Taurus dohc I need to replace the power steering pump pulley. The special tool is expensive for a one time job and the whole pump with pulley is around 180$ from ford, the pulley is just 18$ at Napa. Any way to remove it without the special tool?

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
Rent the pulley remover/installer set for free (with a returnable deposit) at any parts store with a free tool rental (loaner) program. Or buy the kit for ~$10-20 at harbor freight tools. Could have gotten the pump and pulley far cheaper at a parts store. Oreilly had the reman. ford pump for cheap, lifetime warr., and pulley for $10. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
That is the right set of tools. To do it in place you wwill have more luck if you take out the overflow bottle. It is really tight to deal with. I had the radiator and front of the car off when I did mine. You can also pull the alternator, belt, and tension pullys off, then remove bracket that the pump is mounted in and remove pump and pully on bench. You have a lot more room on the bench. Have fun and soak the shaft of the pully with PB blaster the day before you try to pull it. Also lube the shaft with some spray lithium grease when you reinstall the new one. It will go on relatively easily with the lithium on the shaft. Go slow with the puller and it will pop right off with gentle pressure. If you are not replacing pump DO NOT USE IMPACT WRENCH TO PULL THE PULLY, IT will destroy the seals of the shaft of pump. PB Blaster really helps it slide off!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It really is best to pull the alt, belt, idler and tensioner, and sling the coolant bottle out of the way, and remove the whole PS cradle.

This is from when I did the AC Comp in the '06, a little different, but the same exact route:

And sheila is correct a 3 jaw will most likely break the pulley. They aren't made to handle a load, just to run a belt.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The pulley is the hardest part of a pump job. With the correct install/remove tool it is not an easy task.
Make sure that you note the position of the pulley on the shaft before you start to take it off. There are no markings or a guide to tell you when it is correctly positioned on the shaft.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pulley is the hardest part of a pump job. With the correct install/remove tool it is not an easy task.
Make sure that you note the position of the pulley on the shaft before you start to take it off. There are no markings or a guide to tell you when it is correctly positioned on the shaft.
Man you are not lying, I just got done and had to use a long pipe to move the wrench it was a muscle job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
3 jaw puller will probably break the pulley.
Very cool. Rented a pulley puller/installer for PS pump to check seal and nothing seems to work with it. The other kit at same place/same task had slightly different pieces.
Perhaps I'll try this next time. Wanted to leave it in the vehicle, but so hard to turn, feared breaking something.
Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is the right set of tools. To do it in place you wwill have more luck if you take out the overflow bottle. It is really tight to deal with. I had the radiator and front of the car off when I did mine. You can also pull the alternator, belt, and tension pullys off, then remove bracket that the pump is mounted in and remove pump and pully on bench. You have a lot more room on the bench. Have fun and soak the shaft of the pully with PB blaster the day before you try to pull it. Also lube the shaft with some spray lithium grease when you reinstall the new one. It will go on relatively easily with the lithium on the shaft. Go slow with the puller and it will pop right off with gentle pressure. If you are not replacing pump DO NOT USE IMPACT WRENCH TO PULL THE PULLY, IT will destroy the seals of the shaft of pump. PB Blaster really helps it slide off!! Good luck.
VERY GOOD advice, and timely for me, as just about to get an adapter for my drill to do this. Removed the alternator brace/cradle? w/pump, attch'd reservoir and pulley in order to pull the pulley off indoors using 2 different wrenches. Something's not right. Always leery of too much force, but did that for so long, pulled my hand tendons and upper back, instead! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if it is the same on your Taurus, but on My 87 when I needed to change the pump, I couldn't get the pully to come off. Used a puller and it would start to bow as I tightened it down. Wouldn't budge. Even bought a new china junk from Harbor Freight. Still no go. Cant remove the pump without taking off the pully on a Vulcan. I looked up the price for a new pully, was like $10 bucks for Dorman. Ended up smashing the pully with a hammer and removing the old pump. New pump went in and I installed the new pulley with ease. Iam sure they changed that pump type on Duratec, since it was natorius for leaking and making noise on the vulcans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if it is the same on your Taurus, but on My 87 when I needed to change the pump, I couldn't get the pully to come off. Used a puller and it would start to bow as I tightened it down. Wouldn't budge. Even bought a new china junk from Harbor Freight. Still no go. Cant remove the pump without taking off the pully on a Vulcan. I looked up the price for a new pully, was like $10 bucks for Dorman. Ended up smashing the pully with a hammer and removing the old pump. New pump went in and I installed the new pulley with ease. Iam sure they changed that pump type on Duratec, since it was natorius for leaking and making noise on the vulcans.
My Vulcan's a 2002, which I understood from my Haynes manual, is the same from 1998-2007 on many parts. After much damage to my hands (completely blown up and red) I took the piece with pulley, Pump with Reservoir attached to the alternator cradle along with the pulley puller/installer kit back to the parts store where I rented it. I had to leave the only adapter piece that fit in it as couldn't back it out. The guy on duty works evenings there and in a repair shop days. He's got a lot of strength and tried for 30 minutes while I held it down with my foot/body weight. He said something wrong with pulley, but it was fine before I removed it. I got my money back on the rental and will have to go get it by bus today as wouldn't fit on my cart with water and groceries! Think maybe another shop - AZ - rental may be different?
I did see this post I think was yours maybe last week when couldn't remove it in the vehicle, so took it out. The idea is brilliant! Unfortunately, the pulley is metal. I've found 2 little pieces of material near my desk after the "operation" on thick towels, plastic bags, brown paper to absorb and cushion. Think maybe I broke something. Going to go a take pic now if haven't tossed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, the descriptions on Rock Auto, AZ, etc are all mixed - some say metal and plastic, some don't state the material, but all are ranged $12-$20, so it's worth a shot to bash it if the shop nearby won't remove it for a small fee for me first. I'd be leery of breaking something else as don't have a vise grip and the reservoir is attached and plastic.
Thanks for your input, time and help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts