Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CHICAGO, March 1, 2019 – The last Ford Taurus sedan rolled off the line at Chicago Assembly Plant today, marking the end of U.S. production of the historic and pioneering nameplate.

More than 8 million Taurus passenger cars were built at Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant over 34 years of near continuous production.

“Taurus broke new ground at its start and we’re thankful for its role in our portfolio,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. marketing, sales and service. “Those same kinds of innovations will continue for today’s customers with Ford Explorer and the rest of our lineup.”

When introduced at the 1985 Los Angeles Auto Show, Taurus represented the latest in Ford engineering and design, developed to meet shifting consumer needs. Its sleek looks were a departure from the boxy sedan shapes of the time, setting a new bar in passenger cars. Its 140-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 engine featured multi-port fuel injection.

Taurus continued to evolve with the addition of the SHO model in 1989, which came equipped with a 220-horsepower high-performance V6.

By 1992, Taurus had become America’s best-selling car.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/03/01/ford-marks-end-of-taurus-production-legacy-of-innovation.html?fbclid=IwAR0Cf8z5SB_zZWE4ZZHwjVTZsoh8wKeoGoeLmwHoXEzItvge2qVS-C-mNoc

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Presuming that is the car... either it went to a country requiring DRLs, or it went to a fleet.

Oh, please, don't tell me it went to a fleet...

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,054 Posts
Threw together the numbers:

1986-2007 Taurus production figures: 7,519,919
1986-2005 Sable production figures: 2,112,374

2008-2018 Taurus production figures: 617,871 (includes PI Sedan)
2008-2009 Sable production figures: 22,480

Total production run 1986-2018: 10,272,644

The final number won't be clear for a while now, as there are still Tauruses sitting on lots. But they did manage to break the ten million mark, and the eight million figure for the Taurus itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ford CEOs crazy?

With the death of the American CAR on the horizon, will the only old school American named sedan on the road be the FCA Canadian made Chrysler 300? With GM killing the Impala and the very sad 2nd death of the Taurus - it seems someone is not aware of the meaning of being the last legitimate American sedan. What if Harley Davidson had thrown in the towel? BIG mistake here Ford. Some of us would rather lose a body part than drive a Toyota / Honda / Nissan / VW kinda like the Harley guys ... Hello Bill Ford ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am glad 4 of those 10 million cars have graced my garages over the years. Too bad there won't be another (until the next CEO with any sense).

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,054 Posts
With the death of the American CAR on the horizon, will the only old school American named sedan on the road be the FCA Canadian made Chrysler 300? With GM killing the Impala and the very sad 2nd death of the Taurus - it seems someone is not aware of the meaning of being the last legitimate American sedan. What if Harley Davidson had thrown in the towel? BIG mistake here Ford. Some of us would rather lose a body part than drive a Toyota / Honda / Nissan / VW kinda like the Harley guys ... Hello Bill Ford ?
Fiat sold 46,000 300's last year. Big whoop. Sales are barely 1/3rd of what they were at the model's peak.

Good feelings and "making cars just because" don't pay the bills. Sucks, but those are the breaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No doubt economics at play, but the last legitimate American sedan will sell simply because of that fact alone. Some of us care immensely about that factor. A 300 is on my horizon I guess. Good looking car, more American than a Fusion. Like my Taurus more of course, but if it doesn't exist in the future ... Fiat Chrysler wins by default. CUVs suck. 3 cylinder turbos are destined for early failures. SUVs & trucks are so not me. Build a new Crown Vic or Taurus on an F150 platform and they got me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is why I probably won't ever get rid of my Taurus in my lifetime. I plan to always have it with me, whether that's in stock form or a 5.2 Voodoo swapped drag missile, I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
No doubt economics at play, but the last legitimate American sedan will sell simply because of that fact alone. Some of us care immensely about that factor. A 300 is on my horizon I guess. Good looking car, more American than a Fusion. Like my Taurus more of course, but if it doesn't exist in the future ... Fiat Chrysler wins by default. CUVs suck. 3 cylinder turbos are destined for early failures. SUVs & trucks are so not me. Build a new Crown Vic or Taurus on an F150 platform and they got me.
You're not the market as a whole, sorry to say. Sedans are going away for a good reason.

Ironically, if you want the last legitimate, all-American sedan, you should buy a Tesla. Because that's exactly what they are.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,054 Posts
The 300 is only continuing because it’s cheap to make, much like why the Taurus continued on. Now that CAP is closing to retool for D6 Explorer/Aviator production, it’s going away.

FCA has already said the Charger and Challenger are being refreshed for 2021 (still using the LX platform) and Marchionne was already strongly hinting that the 300 wasn’t part of the plans for a refresh.

And don’t be too in love with the Hemi, as Dodge already says that they’ll be moving to a twin-turbo Pentastar V6, as well as gas/electric performance combos. They might even throw a four banger turbo in the base model.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I am not a motorcycle guy but I think Harley is having trouble also. Just can't sell $40,000 bikes to younger crowd. Once baby boomers hit seventy they will sell more apparel to them than bikes. I like sedans but have nearly always had a SUV since 83 to satisfy my desire to accumulate stuff. I was without one for two years, but needed something to haul stuff. At he present cost of any car one has to spend money on the most practicable one out there. Since most people don't repair their cars they can't afford to have three different ones to fulfill their needs. Then talk insurance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tesla may be American, but an electric is a very expensive toy. Can't exactly drive it across Texas either. Internal combustion is the only real solution today AND Texas has the oil to fuel them until the end of time. Sedans will come back when people tire of driving ugly tall wagons that handle poorly. Hopefully my current vehicles will make it until there is a viable blue oval replacement.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
Tesla may be American, but an electric is a very expensive toy. Can't exactly drive it across Texas either. Internal combustion is the only real solution today AND Texas has the oil to fuel them until the end of time. Sedans will come back when people tire of driving ugly tall wagons that handle poorly. Hopefully my current vehicles will make it until there is a viable blue oval replacement.

One not common discussion point on electric cars: In cold weather, the battery life can be well less than half. And soon the tax credits will be gone. Then there is competition with cars brands that have dealers and service.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,353 Posts
Sad to think it got the ax again. Honestly I like my Torrent but it doesn't have anywhere near the cargo space my wagon had. I still would love to get my hands on a newer SHO for a DD, or a Gen3 as a toy. Honestly I can't say that I'm surprised that the Sedan is going to be a thing of the past. Take a look at wagons..... they were the car everyone had when you had a family, till the minivan came around, then everyone wanted a minivan. There's very little of them in production now too which has changed over to the Crossovers. The car manufacturers giveth, and taketh.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
One not common discussion point on electric cars: In cold weather, the battery life can be well less than half. And soon the tax credits will be gone. Then there is competition with cars brands that have dealers and service.

-chart-

Don't forget that presently there is no road use tax imposed on electric vehicles. But eventually they will have to report mileage to the state and get charged a hefty tax to use the roads. They will probably base it on vehicle weight and mileage. And when will they stop calling them zero emission and realize fossil fuel is burned to generate electricity to charge them.

I was talking to a solar installer at a Home Show yesterday. Three hours of sunlight on average in Ohio per day won't charge an electric car too much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is so sad. I can't believe that Ford is doing this. It makes no sense.

I will probably always keep my Taurus. It's the best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I didn't have a '17 Alfa Giulia that I love, I'd pick up a 6th gen Taurus. As it is, I'm going to get another (having owned a few in the past) Gen 3 SHO as a Cars n Coffee car because I think they're an American classic. I loved the out on a limb styling back in the day, and I still do. Well made cars; well-engineered apart from the cam issue, but like Porsche's IMS bearing issue, there's an aftermarket solution.

·
Administrator
15,071 Posts
This is so sad. I can't believe that Ford is doing this. It makes no sense.
Obviously it makes $en$e to them and unfortunately a look at sales numbers bear it out. Whether it's the Fusion or the Taurus, the sales number for 2018, are @ half of what they were in 2014. The sedan market just isn't there, if it was the manufacturing still would be.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts