Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i thought I would swap the JBL RCU out of the 96 and into my 98 which has the base system. This was my first peak at the RCU setup under the trunk cover and everything looked fairly simply and is.
But none the less the swap didn't go as good as I was hoping for. Everything hooked up easy. But the sound quailty is BAD. Their is NO bass in my stereo now. I assume the JBL RCU is completly made to have the sub woofer hooked up and that's were all the bass is made to go.

The sound is LOUDIER than the base RCU but absolutly no bass, maybe a fraction of the bass was still their. So I put the RCUs back to the correct cars. So I guess I will be waiting to find a MACH RCU and hopefully this probably wont happen again. Since the MACH dosen't have the middle woofer I'm sure everything will be fine with the MACH swap.

So just an FYI to anyone who finds a JBL RCU in a junkyard or where ever, you probably will lose 99% of your bass with a stock stereo speaker setup.

Dylan

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Why not just add the two speakers for the subs? Are the wires present for the hookup?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their seem to be about 8 or more wires for each plug, one plug for the front speakers and one for the rear speakers and one larger plug, probably for the main control functions. These 3 plugs go into the RCU. And their are only 3 spot for plugs in the normal RCU but, the JBL RCU has an extra spot for a plug which is shaped compltely different form the others and this plug is for the sub plug.

So maybe you can rewire a few things, maybe. BUt I certainly don't know that much about radios and wires to get into that.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
The Mach will not have the same problem...mine works great in any taurus i put it in.

THe JBL has high pass filters on the speakers due to the SINGLE 6x9 sub in the rear deck that is Self Powered.

Brad

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I figured it would be something like that. I was going to buy a JBL RCU but realized that piecing it together may be more work then I want to do.

I can see why they want to much for those Mach RCUs. No mess, just plug and play

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Oct 2 2004, 12:41 AM
oh good pot. befoer reading this even I was thinking that a JBL RCU will repalce my stock rcu in my 96 GL.
:closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes: Was the pot that good? I hate it when I can't spell because I am too high!!!! :homer:

I just thought it was funny, I don't smoke pot anymore.

I don't smoke it anyless either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts