Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a post from Jim oaks at the ranger station.
Ford is making me change the name of The Ranger Station and pay them $5,000. I have to sign an agreement as well and they want it all by the 19th of this month.

Ford feels that we are infringing on their trademarks and violating their intellectual property rights because we use 'Ranger' in our name.

Apparently it's ok for Ranger Boats, Polaris Ranger and the Lone Ranger.

We are not the first to get attacked by this:

http://www.michiganmustang.com/fordattacks.html

The question is, where do we go from here?

How are we possibly going to rename the site and still be able to attract Ranger owners, when Ford doesn't want us using their name.

To clarify:

Ford wants $5,000 AND therangerstation.com domain name[/b]
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=32801

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
That really should not be a valid argument, because Ranger, Mustang, and Taurus are all public vocabulary words that appear in the dictionary. I could understand if it was the "Ford Ranger Station"... but...

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK. That tears it.

No more Fords for me. No Fords, Lincolns, Mercuries, Volvos, Mazdas, Aston Martins, Jaguars, NONE OF IT!

Zorin

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
They should keep the corporate jets and fire the damn lawyers instead.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
hmm attack those who actually want to be proud of owning your cars. smart move ford.......

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
TRS got targeted because he sold merchandise with the Ford and Ford Ranger logo and likeness on it.

That said, the firm "representing" Ford is nothing more than a small outfit based in Utah. They go around the internet threatening sites like theirs and ours with litigation unless we pack up and go home. They've been making the rounds in the VW world, and have recently begun going after the domestic enthusiast sites. Honestly, it's only a matter of time before they come knocking here and we tell them to ###### off.

*edit* To clarify, the ###### off was directed at the law firm (and I use law firm loosely), and not Ford. Ford is well aware of our existance and have not taken issue with us.

Except for that whole unfortunate business over the summer with that spy shot.

But other than that, no issue.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
TRS got targeted because he sold merchandise with the Ford and Ford Ranger logo and likeness on it.

That said, the firm "representing" Ford is nothing more than a small outfit based in Utah. They go around the internet threatening sites like theirs and ours with litigation unless we pack up and go home. They've been making the rounds in the VW world, and have recently begun going after the domestic enthusiast sites. Honestly, it's only a matter of time before they come knocking here and we tell them to ###### off.
[/b]
so basically a bunch of scammers......i see.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
It's one of those perverse things about the law. You have to actively enforce your trademark or if you don't then you can end up losing your trademark. It's one of the reason that you hear stories about this, they're just trying to preserve their future rights.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I wonder if Ford would ever target the TCCA...

They ever did, I would protest that. :ph34r:

I doubt it. I don't think our community makes money off their products. All they accept is donations/contributions, to which my understanding helps with web hosting and servers, so goes right back into the community.

Until then, I still stand behind FoMoCo. Providing the Best built American cars ever :ford:

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
never met a lawyer i liked. :dunno:

my favorite reply to lawyer. "i'm sorry sir I do not recall."
or "I was mistaken". :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
How soon we forget ............. this is old.

There was a Mustang forum that had pics and stuff posted that Ford told them they had to remove and change their domain name also, several months ago.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
How soon we forget ............. this is old.

There was a Mustang forum that had pics and stuff posted that Ford told them they had to remove and change their domain name also, several months ago.
[/b]
But didn't that get dropped after the people who actually matter at Ford found out?

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is real easy to fix.

Send this to the Senate, and every news outlet you can.

Ask this one question....

If Ford is scaring off it's MOST LOYAL of customers, why do they need a bailout?

Zorin

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts

*edit* To clarify, the ###### off was directed at the law firm (and I use law firm loosely), and not Ford. Ford is well aware of our existance and have not taken issue with us.

Except for that whole unfortunate business over the summer with that spy shot.

But other than that, no issue. [/b]

:p Generally no one messes with the Taurus board because ... Well, we're a Taurus enthusiast board. WHO the hell cares about a Taurus? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
:)

On a side note.... I wonder if we should get rid of these just so there is nothing to complain about? (I kinda don't want to since I know a lot of people use the often...) :ford: :merc:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I'm sorry :'(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts