Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven one of these and can comment on the power. Have heard the auto's are slow but what about the 5spds?

There seems to be a good aftermarket for these cars now with CAI's, Cat Back systems, pulleys, tuners, throttle body spacers, and even a couple of headers for the 2.3L models. I am looking to purchase this year a 2007 4cyl not a v6 so just needed comments on the 4cyl.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
my cousin (who lives in florida, so i havent been in it) traded his marauder for one.....

i know right.... but he says its fun to drive, plenty of options and gets great gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've driven the following:

4-cylinder, auto Fusion
6-cylinder, FWD auto Fusion
6-cylinder, AWD auto Milan
6-cylinder, AWD Fusion

The 6-cylinder Fusions were pretty quick. Quicker than my Taurus, definitely. The 4-cylinder, while it's probably underpowered for most things, actually had some good zip. My wife is driving the 6-cylinder AWD Milan right now, and I'm not sure what it is about that car, but it's dog slow. Maybe it's because I've been driving a Mustang GT for the past two weeks, but it feels like it's going nowhere. Yesterday, getting onto a highway, I had to take the Milan up to 4500 RPM, just to get it moving. I couldn't believe how slow it was.

With that said, the 4-cylinder auto seemed much faster than the Milan, however.

Not really what you're looking for, but hey...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I had an 03 Focus with a 2.3 PZEV (Duratec) and auto trans. It was pretty quick and a LOT of fun to drive.

My 4-cyl/manual Fusion, while not the quickest car on the road, gets with the program OK. I have no regrets and still enjoy the experience of driving it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My wife is driving the 6-cylinder AWD Milan right now, and I'm not sure what it is about that car, but it's dog slow. Maybe it's because I've been driving a Mustang GT for the past two weeks, but it feels like it's going nowhere. Yesterday, getting onto a highway, I had to take the Milan up to 4500 RPM, just to get it moving. I couldn't believe how slow it was.

With that said, the 4-cylinder auto seemed much faster than the Milan, however.

Not really what you're looking for, but hey...

JR
[/b]

I test drove one too.. I drove a Mazda 3 Auto with tiptronic before it.. and it was WAY faster than the milan.. and the milan also had to rev so high... its a luxury car though... so its to be expected, not to be fast.. but to ride smooth.

In other news, my friend has a 6cyl fusion and i drove it.. MAN ITS FUN TO DRIVE!!!! 0-60 is great.. chirps the tires alot... its fun.. seriously.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I looked at a Fusion with the 4cyl manual, I fell in love with the v6 Fusion, but didn't care to pay that much, so I got a Taurus. The 4cyl didn't warm my heart, I thought it was buzzy and felt too light in the front end, although it was powerful enough for me. The Duratec v6 in the Fusion helps it both handle and ride better, but its a little thirstier than the 4cyl. I wish they had the v6 with a manual. They seem like very good cars, I think the Mazda 6 is simular, but has a even more powerful v6 as a option, I looked at one of those, too. Both the v6 Fusion and Mazda 6 sure do have "zoom zoom", but I don't need that much "zoom".

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Lookin forward to what the 175hp 4cyl. in the 2010 Fusion has to offer. The V6 is beyond powerful but maintainence should be easier on the 4 banger. When it comes to sqeezing your finger on the Taurus' Duratec 3.0, imagine what to do on the Fusion.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I know I am digging up an old thread here.... I own a 4cyl 2009 Fusion with MXT, Your right that the Auto is a dog. I test drove one and didn't like it at all. Then we drove the 5 speed. Night and Day Difference! My 4 cyl Fusion will run circles around the Vulcan powered Taurus in both speed and handling. for comparison the 2.3 has 160 HP and the 3.0 Vulcan in my Taurus only has 145 HP. Plus it gets great mileage too!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I test drove a 2009 I4 Fusion Sport with the 5-speed auto and it was an absolute dog. It would have been a LOT better with a manual where I could keep it in the powerband, but my Vulcan Taurus would absolutely wipe the floor with the auto in the hills around here. It was fine on flat ground and at highway speed when it's at higher RPM, but it needed help in the low-end torque department and I found myself flooring it in places around town I'm not even near half throttle in my Taurus. The old I4/auto reminded me of the old I4 Camrys, where it'll get you from point A to point B, but you'll probably be late. :lol2:

If I lived somewhere flat, the old 4 cyl/auto would have been completely serviceable...it's just not any fun in hills, and with the amount of throttle input I had to give it, I probably would have gotten better mileage with the V6 anyway.

I do really want to try the new 2.5 I4 with the 6-speed manual...I have a feeling I would really like it, and it's got more torque than the old 4cyl model.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I drove one today. It was an 08 though. It was ok, but on the mpg readout, it was gettin 32 mpg (that's awesome). Good buy!!!

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
i've had my 08 milan 2.3 mtx since june of 08 and i like it. while it's not going to ever take off fast enough to excite many, it does get moving much quicker than a vulcan taurus/sable. It also handles way better with a much more stable chassis than the older taurus. I also drove the 4 cyl auto and it felt MUCH slower than my manual does. I've also done nothing more than oil changes and tire rotations so far with 20k miles on it now. definetly a good buy for a daily driver

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We have a 2010 fusion hybrid. While the engine puts out less, the extra 50HP electric motor makes that sucker move. Feels about the same as my 'tec.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I was really surprised by the Fusion Hybrid's power...it just takes some getting used to when you stop and the engine shuts off. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Oct 28 2009, 11:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=763095
I was really surprised by the Fusion Hybrid's power...it just takes some getting used to when you stop and the engine shuts off. :lol2:[/b]

I've driven vehicles before that have done that. Not a hybrid, just a crappy running gas.

I drove the 2.0 duratec in a focus before. Running wide open up a hill the display never went below 30MPG! I'd REALLY like to get into a 5 speed fusion.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
i used to drive a 5speed fusion as well as a milan, both were pretty fun. nothing to crazy buy i had some really fun times in both those cars.

the new 2010 fusion has a 6speed manual and 175 horse now with the new 2.5l i4, so i can imagine that would be quite a fun daily driver.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
My wife has a 2007 Milan Premier I4 FWD with the 5spd auto. I've found the performance to be quite good, compared to other 4cyl models in it's class. I would rate it better than a 3.0L Vulcan Taurus, both in performance and durability. Is it comparable to a V6 Duratec or SHO? No, but I didn't expect it to be. It has proven to be a very competent mid-sized vehicle, with great comfort and quality, that performs better than I expected.

I have also driven several 2006-2009 4cyl Fusion models with the 5spd manual and the performance is a step up from the auto. Especially from 2007-up, the gearing for the 5spd manual is designed around a more performance oriented nature. To put my assessment in total, you won't be displeased with the 2.3l 4cyl Fusion/Milan models as long as you are realistic in your expectations. My recommendation is for the 5spd manual, but(as many also have to deal with) my wife can't(and won't learn) drive a manual. Make your choice and then enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts