Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying an extended warranty for my car and am wondering, if its too late to do so. Does anyone know any kind of details about it?

--also what kind of major problems are you guys having with your Gen 4 cars if any?

it all depends on how much ford wants me to pay...

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
It depends on the miles you have on the car. Your Taurus is going on 5 years so it is possible a warranty company would want to look at it first. I looked into it when my 2001 was approaching 36k and decided to gamble that the car would not fall apart. ;) Most of the companies including Ford wanted 1500 to 2000 or so dollars to cover a couple more years and there was at least a $100 deductible. I figure pretty much the only thing that should break that I would like covered would be the tranny so I said to hell with it. Ford dealers will negotiate a cheaper ESP if you are buying a brand new or under warranty used Ford. If you do a search you can find many companies that are willing to cover your car. One thing to consider is some companies require out of pocket money before reimbursment for repairs and not all garages or dealers will accept warranties or the money they offer to cover repairs. Some Ford dealers offer warranties that are not Ford ESP plans. Those type are usually only good at the dealer. It will pay to do your homework if you buy one.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by afi292@Jun 28 2004, 06:31 AM
extended warranties are really not worth it IMO
It sorta was worth it for me because my car was a pos. However, what was the worst part is that most of the ford dealers in my area are crap. If you have a good relationship with your ford dealer, I say go for it if it isn't too much. I dont know how good the 2001 transmissions are, but it may be worth it to pay a fraction of cost of a trans repair and get warranty. But yes, miles driven, etc should be taken into consideration.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
we bought one for 5 years or 100,000 miles. and it basically covers everything. i'm not sure if there is a deductible or not. it was a grand for it. you could gamble and not get one, but what if you do get a bad car. we bought one for my 97, but we never used it. i'd rather have it than have something major happen and put me into even more debt. and ours is through fords.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by SEL2000@Jun 28 2004, 12:40 AM
I am looking into buying an extended warranty for my car and am wondering, if its too late to do so. Does anyone know any kind of details about it?

--also what kind of major problems are you guys having with your Gen 4 cars if any?

it all depends on how much ford wants me to pay...
I did end up getting an aftermarket warranty but I still had a little bit of the bumper to bumper warranty left so it wasn't that much, about $850 for 6 years/100k miles which is 3 additional years. I think it's a bit more if the bumper to bumper has already expired. Mine does have a $50 deductable. I only got it as I wasn't sure if the transmissions on the Gen4 will hold up. Thanks to this place, I think it probably will but there aren't too many Gen4's that have 100k on them so it's too early to tell for sure.

It's probably too late for your car though, you'd probably still end up paying the same thing but you'd have less time on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
88K miles, and no transmission problems. However, I am having a sporadic failure of the driver side power window from going down or up, and something is shaking when I am braking from highway speeds. I was told one of my rims was bent, but I don't but that.

Overall, I would give it a B. The window is quite annoying, and one of the motor mounts is bad, so it clunks when I brake/accelerate. It still gets great mileage, and has good enough power. I also wish the brakes were a bit better. *shrug*

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree with those who say go to a good Ford dealer and check and see what they can do for you. I went ahead and got the same one Detroit Raver got for her new car. It has a $50.00 deductable and cost somewhere around 800 or 1000 or something like that. I don't know it was all rolled into my loan. I just kept asking, so what's the payment now? If you can get that kind of coverage with a low deductable it might be worth it. For example if you power windows go out that's about 300 per window.
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Yea I got the 75K extended bumper to bumper warranty, as well as the service contract, all of which are fully transferable (good selling points if an when the time comes)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts