Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, This is an Older Screw up courtesy of my local Ford Dealership. They were working on the suspension apart of "Regular Maintenance" (my dad took it in and willingly got raped by them.) (remember this was a while back..) And well, I didn't think of checking.. assuming that my dad knew what he was doing when he was dealing with the idiots who left an upper oil pan bolt of of my mom's Nissan Quest. Boy am I now kicking myself for not double checking.

They did this

To both Struts.

This happened after I told my dad that it was missing 2 of the mounting bolts on EACH SIDE. :eek:

Meh. Goes to show you. DIY can often be better than Dealership stuff

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Although they did a piss poor job. It means now and forever more your car has adjustments for caster and camber. You have to seperate the plate from the strut tower, much in a fashion as that(I drill all that ones I do) to perform a CORRECT alignment.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like they corrected the alignment, but they could have at least sprayed any color paint over the bare areas.
[/b]
Yeah.. Its starting to rust in spots.. So i'm going to sand and prime them with metal primer.. I got a little left over.

What I'm pissed of about is that they didnt even attempt to clean it up a bit.. as you can see they even broke the metal on the right one

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I don't really see what the problem is... Sure it looks crappy since the paint has cracked off in spots and the primer is showing but to do a proper alignment that's what needs to be done, that plate is welded to the strut tower and needs to be seperated. If they didn't seperate that plate then the alignment job could have made the car worse. Sure they could have done a cleaner job but it is under the hood afterall, and it's not like they're working on a show car, plus the metal is thick enough where the body of the car will rot away well before the areas they exposed under the hood become a problem.

But, to do a cleaner job they could have torn off the mounts, and replaced them with new ones instead of re mounting the old ones. But that means a lot more money out of your pocket because of the added labor.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If you're that concerned about them, I think I have a set of top mount plates that you can have, just pay shipping. They were off my Sable, and are in good shape, plus they were painted with Rustoleum when I removed them to inhibit rust.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
You can take the plates off while the car is sitting on the ground and paint everything up. As long as you don't move the steering wheel you won't loose your alignment.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're that concerned about them, I think I have a set of top mount plates that you can have, just pay shipping. They were off my Sable, and are in good shape, plus they were painted with Rustoleum when I removed them to inhibit rust.

JR
[/b]
Thanks for the offer, I'm not really concerned about them, just it takes away from the aesthetics of my engine bay (it didn't have much to begin with :lol2: ) But nothing a coat of rustoleum can't fix :) Thanks anyway :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts