Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I brought my 2000 Taurus SEL 95K miles into my local ford dealer last week for a tranny fluid change. Now it is leaking pretty bad. Brought it back to the dealer today. They are telling me that it is leaking from the front seal and that they are not responsible. It has never leaked before and started leaking the day I got it back after the transmission fluid change. I argued with the lady on the phone, but she tells me it is an internal part and it couldn't have been anything they did.

Also, they are telling me it will be $825 to fix it!!!!!

Anything I can do here? I'm pretty pissed about this!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
if that seal is really leaking yes they are correct, they could not have caused this as it is a internal part, how bad is it leaking? how many miles are on the car?

personally i would get a second opinion from a non dealer. take it to a tranny shop or someone who will check it out for free. did you check to see if all of the tranny pan bolts are tight. (they have a low torque spec so don't crank on them.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been leaking for a week. Not leaking a whole lot. I've checked the fuid level and it hasn't dropped much in a week.

I'll check the bolts tonight. The car has 95K miles on it.

The dealer wants $825 to replace the seal, but 2 independent transmission places in town have quoted me $425.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
do you beat on your car?

because if you don't maby the seal was weak (about to go out) and when they went and beat on it (presuming they did) the higher pressures caused the weak seal to go out. just a thought, bottom line it doesnt sound like you are going to get them to fix this unless its under warranty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
costed me 399.64 to get my front seal replaced at the beginning of the summer :angry:
glad i got grandparents who felt bad for "giving me a broken car", since they payed for the repairs

G

·
The trans and torque converter need to be removed to replace the front seal, so $400 isn't that bad. Still sucks though, since it's only a $10 part. :blink:

Did they flush the transmission fluid? If so, they may have ruptured the seal if they used one of those pressure flushing machines.

Also, until you can get it repaired (or this may solve your problem alltogether) you can try putting a teaspoon of brake fluid in your trans dipstick tube. The brake fluid swells the seal, and stops the leak. This is a temporary fix, however.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 4 2004, 07:24 PM
Did they flush the transmission fluid? If so, they may have ruptured the seal if they used one of those pressure flushing machines.
What's the consensus opinion on those pressure purging doohickeys? Myself I would tend to think those would blow valves and seals with the pressure. I had my Ford dealer technician nephew do the tranny service on my bull and the fluid still looked decent for 100K miles. This was without this pressure purging just the filter and however many quarts it took to refill. Still runs and drives well at 150K+ :D

G

·
I don't like the pressure flushing machines. The filter needs to be changed and the pan cleaned out anyhow, or the new fluid will pick up the old junk left in there.

Ford recommends flushing the trans by removing the cooler line, and starting the car/adding more fluid until it runs clean method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts