Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the troubles with owning the orphaned 2005-2007 Ford 500 is that there are barely any forums for this car, but it is closely related to 5th gen Taurus (same platform) and 4th gen (same engine), so I hope I can drop a question here.

The 2005 car with 6-speed AT has 146,000 miles. The transmission fluid was changed at 100,000 miles. Last week I started noticing an issue. While cruising at 30-50 mph, if I give it some gas, or the road starts going uphill, the car hesitates to downshift, there is some shacking and shudder going on, sometimes violent, always reproducible. This is supposedly a tell-tale sign that clutch is wearing out, but I thought I might ask here if this problem can be caused by something else that's inexpensive to fix.

I looked at the transmission fluid, and every time there is a black particle on the stick. I assume this is metal shavings, which can't be good. Things don't look good. Considering the cost of fixing or replacing the transmissions, I assume it's game over for this 500?

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
The 6F35 couldn't last 100k on a change let alone the Aisin-6 that the Five Hundred came with. I will echo @jag1959's sentiments above.

Regrettably, we do not have much experience/discussion on the Aisin 6 let alone the CVTs that came in the AWD models.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding is that historically it's the CVT's that used to fail a lot in the 500/Montego. The 6-AT were more reliable, but I guess they go broke sometimes too. Pouring in Lubegard red did not help (this little bottle did help transmissions on other cars). This was last Ford in our home.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You guys arent giving me much hope for my Orphaned Step-Child Montego... Luckily it only has 52000 miles, so hopefully wont have to worry about anything for awhile... Hopefully.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
^ All you can do is keep up on your maintenance, if not doing it a little early.

The Aisin 6 wasn't a bad transmission by any measure.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have the CVT Trans. What I am finding on it, its either really good, or really bad. Not much middle ground.

·
Registered
22,444 Posts
Middle son has an '06 500 with the cvt and is approaching 200k mi. trouble-free. He did have atf and filter(s) changed a time or 2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
sheila
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing