Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Ford 500 Q&a

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  mwt 
#1 ·
Saw this in the paper this morning. The brief mention of the SHO is only his opinion but it's still encouraging to hear.

A:[/b] Futura first. The Ford Futura will bow in the '06 model year. Also a midsize
sedan, it will be slightly smaller and less expensive than the Five Hundred. Ford
says rather than its current practice of offering a single midsize model at
different trim and price levels, it will offer a pair of models in different size, trim
and price levels to attract more midsize buyers.
As for the Five Hundred, some see a Passat likeness, but the resemblance is less
in person than in photos.
As for a performance version of the Five Hundred or Futura, be patient. Taurus
didn't offer the SHO in the first model year, either. The goal with an all-new car
is first to ensure initial quality production before adding variations.

#4 ·
Why is the 500 ugly? I think it looks better than all the Taurii except the 4th Gen. Even so, it is an infinitely better car exterior looks aside. I wish MY Taurus had AWD and a 6-speed auto that doesn't suck. A sound proofed glove box is pretty cool too.

#5 ·
The 500 looks better in person. It’s a sharp sedan that doesn't look over-done. Remember when the 96 Taurus came out? Some people thought it was cool, but most others thought it was ugly. It all depends on taste I guess. Its a good design that will sell, which is what Ford is looking for.

That 96 Taurus looks better in 2004 then it did in 1996. I think the Ford's are done experimenting with new, bold designs for a while.

G
#6 ·
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jan 18 2004, 10:39 PM
The 500 looks better in person. It’s a sharp sedan that doesn't look over-done. Remember when the 96 Taurus came out? Some people thought it was cool, but most others thought it was ugly. It all depends on taste I guess. Its a good design that will sell, which is what Ford is looking for.

That 96 Taurus looks better in 2004 then it did in 1996. I think the Ford's are done experimenting with new, bold designs for a while.
I agree. I saw the 500 today, in person, at the auto show and it is a VERY sharp car - I love it!
and the Duratec puts out 200hp and 225tq in the 500, so they got a lil more torque out of it
Anyways, I really like the 500, but I think it is styled to appeal more to people (generally) of age 40+ IMHO the Gen4 Taurus looks MUCH sportier, but I really like both cars.

#8 ·
Toyota Camry tailights? Who had that style first? Ford, on the Gen 4 taurus, then Camry came out with the same design...why is Ford always getting blammed for looking like someone else? I can agree that it does look to have a touch of volks wagon...but then again I see the volvo in it to which might be whats showing...

#10 ·
Originally posted by jason8225+Jan 20 2004, 06:27 AM-->QUOTE (jason8225 @ Jan 20 2004, 06:27 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-beonedge
@Jan 19 2004, 08:47 PM
500=grandpa car.
I hate to say it, but most people consider our cars to be grandpa cars, too.
[/b]
nono, that's Grandma cars... atleast that's what I get told about my bull frequently. I could see Grandpa's driving a 500 more then a grandma.

All I've gotta say about the 500 is: I like how it looks on paper(and photos, it's growing on me, that's for sure), but I won't finallize my opinion about it until after the test drive.

G
#11 ·
Originally posted by rsgnome+Jan 20 2004, 09:03 AM-->QUOTE (rsgnome @ Jan 20 2004, 09:03 AM)
Originally posted by jason8225@Jan 20 2004, 06:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-beonedge
@Jan 19 2004, 08:47 PM
500=grandpa car.

I hate to say it, but most people consider our cars to be grandpa cars, too.
nono, that's Grandma cars... atleast that's what I get told about my bull frequently. I could see Grandpa's driving a 500 more then a grandma.

All I've gotta say about the 500 is: I like how it looks on paper(and photos, it's growing on me, that's for sure), but I won't finallize my opinion about it until after the test drive. [/b]
yeah, that's true, it probably is more of a grandma's car
Anyways, I was a bit skeptical of the 500 on paper and pics, but after seeing it in person, I love it!

#13 ·
I think it's rediculous they call the Taurus just a rental car. The Toyota Camry is at every friggen rental place from sea to friggen shining sea. UGH...and the Malibu? PUHlease! It's sole purpose in this world is fleet use. I have NEVER seen a rental place without one, and in fact, I always see the Malibus with "COUNTY OF RIVERSIDE" written on the side. For anyone to say the only reason the Taurus is the 3rd best selling car in the country just because of fleet use is such a moron. The Malibu isn't even on the top ten list.

-Kyle

G
#15 ·
Originally posted by wkohler@Jan 20 2004, 03:21 PM
Actually they're considered more along the lines of "fleet" or "rental" cars.  You see more "grandparent" types in the sables than the taurus, at least around my part of the world (Ohio).
hey, what part of Ohio are you from? I'm in the Canton area. yay
, another fellow Ohio TCCA'er

#17 ·
The 500 has seperate climate and radio controls so YOU CAN PUT A DECK IN IT OMG. That made me really happy.

My dream car at the Auto Show was still the Marauder though. I was making engine noises and pretending to drive it and people were staring at me, and this dude was walking around the car dusting it off over and over again. That's tight.

G
#18 ·
Originally posted by Twilight@Jan 21 2004, 02:37 PM
The 500 has seperate climate and radio controls so YOU CAN PUT A DECK IN IT OMG. That made me really happy.

My dream car at the Auto Show was still the Marauder though. I was making engine noises and pretending to drive it and people were staring at me, and this dude was walking around the car dusting it off over and over again. That's tight.
yeah, Marauders 0wn!
RWD Ford V8!

#19 ·
[/QUOTE]I think it's rediculous they call the Taurus just a rental car. The Toyota Camry is at every friggen rental place from sea to friggen shining sea. UGH...and the Malibu? PUHlease! It's sole purpose in this world is fleet use. I have NEVER seen a rental place without one, and in fact, I always see the Malibus with "COUNTY OF RIVERSIDE" written on the side. For anyone to say the only reason the Taurus is the 3rd best selling car in the country just because of fleet use is such a moron. The Malibu isn't even on the top ten list.

-Kyle
Amen to that...

#20 ·
OK boys and girls, found an article in Consumer Guide on the internet written by a guy named Mark Bice. He indicates that sales for Commercial & Rental Fleets by Ford are made up thusly:

Mustang: 10%
Taurus: 50%
MGM/Crown Vic: 70%

In other words 50% of Taurus sales go to fleet and/or rental businesses. The other 50% are individual sales to customers like you and I. Will keep searching the web to see how other manufacturers fair in the fleet/rental sales.

#24 ·
I saw the "Five Hundred" (Ford doesn't use the numerals) at Chicago; as far as Ford went, it WAS the show. (Aside from the Ford GT, 2005 Mustang GT and the 2006 Shelby Cobra, of course)

The Five Hundred, along with the Freestyle (which is built on the same basic chassis) look like worthy successors to the Taurus. I think the Freestyle is a better wagon (they call it a "crossover") than the current Taurus/Sable. If I'm writing the check, I'm buying a Freestyle... Or a Mercury upgrade version of the Freestyle.

My only beef is the engine; it really oughta have the 3.5 liter engine. More testosterone is better. Continuously Variable Transmission looks neat, too. But, I'll buy a 6 speed until the CVT gains some experience.

#25 ·
The side kinda looked like an Avalon to me...honestly, when I was at the NYC auto show, I didn't even notice it...oh well.

I would pick the freestyle over the 500 as well...althought the freestyle looks like a lowered Escape...

#26 ·
Originally posted by Sablewagon@Feb 17 2004, 07:39 PM
My only beef is the engine; it really oughta have the 3.5 liter engine. .
Saw a show on Tv or read an article or something everythings seems to mix together lately but the 3.5 isn't schedule until the third productin year. The review talked about how bad the 500 needed the bigger motor. It kind of bummed me out.
I would have seriously considered one for my next car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.