Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who were fortunate enough to construct their own fenderwell CAI's, I have a question.

If you look on ebay and such, most of the intakes for sale have metal piping sticking out of the end of the intake near your MAF. Also, they are custom per the make/model of car.

Being that the Taurus/Sable doesnt have an intake kit, and you make one yourself, did you have to make any special accomodations for said holes, and if so what did you do? I know you need the MAF adapter plate from (what used to be duratec performance) Draxias (SP?).

Also, what the hell are the holes for??

I am looking to construct my own fenderwell CAI sometime this spring or summer (when its not -2 with a windchill of -24) and I need to know about the connection right at the MAF.

Cheers,

-DC

·
Registered
307 Posts
you can go to your local hardware store and look around in the plumming section at the different fitings and such and find something you can make an adapter for your MAF. im making mine as we speak. my friend is fabing up the MAF adapter and im using 3 inch aluminum air duct (found near the plumming) and its nice and flexible. once i get mine i will take pics and post them.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
The holes are for sensors/tubes such as the IAT sensor and the PCV tube. When I made mine, I didn't have to drill any holes for anything because IIRC, all these things are located behind the MAF. I remember someone saying the IAT is in the airbox, but I didn't find anything in or near it.

This is a GenIII Vulcan BTW. I don't know if there were any changes between GenIII and IV.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
i bought mine from mykej27. i had so much fun installing it. expecially when my brothers friends pulled up in their cobra mustang and came over to watch what i was doing. they looked at me like i was nuts. they did think it was a SHO though. i let them believe whatever they wanted.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Jan 27 2004, 08:14 PM
I didnt have to cut anything.. Look at my SuperFord account in my Sig
*Mr Burns* " Exxxxxxxxxxxcellent......."

Thats just what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help man

Ill post pics when I am done, in about 3 months when its warmer

-Damon

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's what I did.

Search ebay for this: 94-01 INTEGRA LS/RS/GS COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM. This I found was the easiest to mod it fit my 2k. Order the 70/75mm MAf adapter from Draxas.com

This is the text from an email I sent out to some people in another thread. It explains what I did to make it fit and so on.

The one 90* piece runs off the MAF adapter. There is a small tube fitting that needs to be plugged and the straight end of the tube may need to bit. That piece runs out the fender and turns down straight toward where the horns original location is. Your horns are in the way of the next tube piece so they need to be relocated...whereever. The next "S" shaped piece you have to measure and cut so that it makes another 90* "L" shape and comes down and points out right the front of the car; inside the bumper cover area. Put the air filter on and measure where to cut accordingly. You also may want to modify the small bracket they give you in the kit to fit under the hose clamp of the air filter and screw it into the area where the horns originally were. I bent it it to fit under the clamp and drilled a whole in the area near the horn screw. This bracket will suppport the whole assembly alot better. Like I stated in the forum post, you may want to cut the corner off the battery box so the first piece of tubing that runs out the fender doesn't bend so much.

I'm going to either relocate my battery or cut the battery box this spring. I should have taken pictures. But once you take of the front left tire and wheel well cover you'll see what I'm talking about. Moving the horns around sucks. I bent the crap out of the horn mount to get them to fit in there.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Some models have the IAT mounted in the airbox, and I think your Duratec is one of these. If so, you'll need to relocate that, but it's pretty easy. It's better off being closer to the throttle body anyway, to get the most accuracy out of it.

There may be a PCV fresh air intake hose on the stock tubing, but working off memory is kicking my a**, again. Whatever needs to be fabbed we can do. Get the kit, bring the car down and we'll get it squared away.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Vulcan IAT = right before TB where the EGR tubes connect
Duratec IAT = screws into airbox

I just poked a hole in where the egr tubes and everything go in and jammed the IAT in there. The rubber sealed around it perfectly. I am going to move it back down though, because obviously EGR gas = hot and having it blow right onto the MAF might think the engines running hotter than it really is.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Jan 29 2004, 03:08 AM
I just poked a hole in where the egr tubes and everything go in and jammed the IAT in there. The rubber sealed around it perfectly. I am going to move it back down though, because obviously EGR gas = hot and having it blow right onto the MAF might think the engines running hotter than it really is.
WTF?!?!1

The EGR tube is metal, bolted to the metal EGR valve, which is bolted to the metal (or composite, depending on year) upper plenum. I think you're confusing the EGR for those rubber tubes that go to the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Jan 29 2004, 08:57 AM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Jan 29 2004, 08:57 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Twilight
@Jan 29 2004, 03:08 AM
WTF?!?!1

The EGR tube is metal, bolted to the metal EGR valve, which is bolted to the metal (or composite, depending on year) upper plenum. I think you're confusing the EGR for those rubber tubes that go to the valve covers. [/b]
i think he means crankcase vent, not egr. my taurus doesnt have an IAT. 2000 vulcan ffv. maybe it was for just the ffv's?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes+Jan 29 2004, 02:39 PM-->QUOTE (Taurussetypes @ Jan 29 2004, 02:39 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 08:57 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Twilight
@Jan 29 2004, 03:08 AM

WTF?!?!1

The EGR tube is metal, bolted to the metal EGR valve, which is bolted to the metal (or composite, depending on year) upper plenum. I think you're confusing the EGR for those rubber tubes that go to the valve covers.
i think he means crankcase vent, not egr. my taurus doesnt have an IAT. 2000 vulcan ffv. maybe it was for just the ffv's? [/b]
No, the gen4's have the IAT incorporated in the MAF I believe.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
No, the gen4's have the IAT incorporated in the MAF I believe.[/b]
Well thats neato. I guess thats another way that ford can prevent me from doing a bigger maf. grr. I tired doing a swap into a mustang housing, but my maf unit that goes inside the pipe is waaaaay larger than the mustangs. anybody with a G4 vulcan done a larger MAF? Where u locate it at? My car needs to breathe!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2k Duratec had no IAT in the stock air box. I think the IAT is incorporated in the MAF as well for g4's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by bco1206@Jan 28 2004, 01:20 AM
Here's what I did.

Search ebay for this: 94-01 INTEGRA LS/RS/GS COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM. This I found was the easiest to mod it fit my 2k. Order the 70/75mm MAf adapter from Draxas.com

This is the text from an email I sent out to some people in another thread. It explains what I did to make it fit and so on.

The one 90* piece runs off the MAF adapter. There is a small tube fitting that needs to be plugged and the straight end of the tube may need to bit. That piece runs out the fender and turns down straight toward where the horns original location is. Your horns are in the way of the next tube piece so they need to be relocated...whereever. The next "S" shaped piece you have to measure and cut so that it makes another 90* "L" shape and comes down and points out right the front of the car; inside the bumper cover area. Put the air filter on and measure where to cut accordingly. You also may want to modify the small bracket they give you in the kit to fit under the hose clamp of the air filter and screw it into the area where the horns originally were. I bent it it to fit under the clamp and drilled a whole in the area near the horn screw. This bracket will suppport the whole assembly alot better. Like I stated in the forum post, you may want to cut the corner off the battery box so the first piece of tubing that runs out the fender doesn't bend so much.

I'm going to either relocate my battery or cut the battery box this spring. I should have taken pictures. But once you take of the front left tire and wheel well cover you'll see what I'm talking about. Moving the horns around sucks. I bent the crap out of the horn mount to get them to fit in there.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
hey any idea if that would work on a gen 2 taurus, how big is the tubing that comes out of the MAF ? thnx

·
Registered
104 Posts
Basic question about CAI... if you replace the stock filter with something more free-flowing and take off the silencer, how is that different than replacing the tubing and putting a filter at the end of it in the fender well?

Air is coming from same place and is going through a filter at some point - what is the difference?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Feb 26 2004, 05:35 PM
Basic question about CAI... if you replace the stock filter with something more free-flowing and take off the silencer, how is that different than replacing the tubing and putting a filter at the end of it in the fender well? 

Air is coming from same place and is going through a filter at some point - what is the difference?
Well, there isn't a whole lot of difference. The cone filter has more filtering media than a flat panel filter, so it will flow better and it will take longer for it to get loaded up with dirt. Most people use bigger intake tubing when constructing their own CAI, too. Also there is the argument that the stock system, with it's large "hot box", allows the incoming air to warm up a bit before it reaches the engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's what I thought - so my current thought process is to get an airbox and filter from a larger engine and see if there is a way to put it into the car - possibly relocating the battery to the trunk. The theory being.. more filter surface area = more air available to the engine. I am trying to think of a way to have the cold air come in from the front of the car instead of the fender well as well.

My suburban has a big cylinder air filter - plenty of filter surface area in a small package - and the airbox a cylinder shape as well - just a bit bigger than the filter. Something like that may fit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just had an idea... If I open up the airbox on my '95 GL Vulcan, I see a tube coming from the fender, into the airbox. Would it work to remove the panel filter and put a cone filter on the end of that tube? I don't know how big of a filter would fit, or if the airbox is well sealed enough to protect against stuff seeping into the crack, but it would look completely stock, and there would be almost no fabrication required.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am trying to avoid putting a filter in the fender well that I have to change periodically. I am going to try to do what I said with a bigger (standard) air filter and perhaps have the intake go to the front of the car or just leave it in the fender well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts