Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents were looking at buying a new/newer car. My dad sort of has his eyes set on an 06-07 Chrysler 300 Limited or 300C which can be had with about 30,000 miles for under 20k. However, the bill that should pass soon with the Clunkers for Cash has him thinking that he may buy a new Taurus instead (either an 09 or 2010, depending on the price). I tried to point this out as a reasoning for the bill (people who could afford pre-owned could now buy a new) to a few people a while back but they seemed oblivious to the arguement. Anyways, they have an old workhorse 98 Durango that has a bajillion miles on it (186k to be more correct) which would make the perfect clunker (as the transmission and 4WD is having serious issues they wont get much for it - though the 5.9 is as strong as an ox!). I would assume they would get the 4500 rebate as it gets i think 13/18mpg vs the Taurus's 20/28.

What I'm wondering is what can they expect to pay after the discounts and the clunker trade-in for a Taurus. They are thinking about possibly a base model SE or optionless SEL with nothing special on it (i'm really hoping they wait for the 2010's, but if they wont be offering discounts that may not happen). I think they would like to walk away with one for around the price of the 300's, so around 18-19k after all the rebates and trade-in. Is this possible or would they be better off just trying to find a good deal on the 09's, since I'm sure dealerships will be wanting to get rid of those this summer?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (slushi @ Jun 10 2009, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731499
My parents were looking at buying a new/newer car. My dad sort of has his eyes set on an 06-07 Chrysler 300 Limited or 300C which can be had with about 30,000 miles for under 20k. However, the bill that should pass soon with the Clunkers for Cash has him thinking that he may buy a new Taurus instead (either an 09 or 2010, depending on the price). I tried to point this out as a reasoning for the bill (people who could afford pre-owned could now buy a new) to a few people a while back but they seemed oblivious to the arguement. Anyways, they have an old workhorse 98 Durango that has a bajillion miles on it (186k to be more correct) which would make the perfect clunker (as the transmission and 4WD is having serious issues they wont get much for it - though the 5.9 is as strong as an ox!). I would assume they would get the 4500 rebate as it gets i think 13/18mpg vs the Taurus's 20/28.

What I'm wondering is what can they expect to pay after the discounts and the clunker trade-in for a Taurus. They are thinking about possibly a base model SE or optionless SEL with nothing special on it (i'm really hoping they wait for the 2010's, but if they wont be offering discounts that may not happen). I think they would like to walk away with one for around the price of the 300's, so around 18-19k after all the rebates and trade-in. Is this possible or would they be better off just trying to find a good deal on the 09's, since I'm sure dealerships will be wanting to get rid of those this summer?

Thanks in advance![/b]

You wont get a cent for the "Clunkers for cash" thing, the new car your getting has to meet two requirements, you meet the getting x (cant remember the number) MPG better requirement, but the "New cat needs to be at least 22 mpg" requirement is not ment. Meaning you will get no voucher for getting a new bull, even a chrysler 300 v6 wont get you a cent, beacuse neither of them are at least 22 mpg. Now if you were to get a Focus you would get the full $4500 beacuse thats like, 28 mpg, but yeah, you cant get a discount on a Taurus with this program.

--edit

The new G5 Taurus gets 20/22 MPG from what ive read, so it would be an average of 21 mpg not getting you anything, on the other hand, if you wanted a G4 that gets higher gas mileage, might be like 20/28 for that, making it an average of 24, you would get the full $4500 off, but i dont know if this discount even works for used cars, its probally just new ones anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The FWD G5 Taurus is EPA rated at 18/28, an average of 23mpg, if that's how the EPA calculates it. (fueleconomy.gov is down right now) It's not real-world mileage, it's what the EPA rated the car. Your actual mileage on the "clunker" doesn't matter either...it goes by EPA ratings as well.

Last I was at a dealer, they still had brand new 2008s. Before any negotiation, they'll give you a pretty nice one for under $20k...add your discount to that and you might as well not buy a used car, if a G5 Taurus is what you want.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, we still have 3 '08's on the lot. But you still won't get one under $20k. Don't hold it to me, but I think the only '08 we have under $20k is a white limited with 12k miles on it. It was a demo that my grandmother drove (she's the secretary). But other than that, your still looking at the same price as an '09. Most people tend to think that the dealers set the price, but Ford is the one who does that. The best deal for your parents, is to get a demo or loaner off the lot. They have never been titled and the warranty will start when you by it.

Here is the Limited Demo my grandmother drove:

And here's one of the 08's we've actually had since I think June of '07. And it only has 17 miles on it. I don't think it's moved but once.

I know we can work something out. So come by and see me, I'll be at my desk. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
One 08-09 Limited in Dark Ink Metallic w/Black Leather and Moonroof please, thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 11 2009, 02:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731633
One 08-09 Limited in Dark Ink Metallic w/Black Leather and Moonroof please, thanks.[/b]
Don't have one of them, but I could locate you one. I do have one on the lot (the blue one above) it's an sel with gray leather interior and chrome wheels, all you would have to do is take off the sel and put on the limited and nobody would know. :lol2: But seriously, a dealer transfer can easily be arranged. Just takes about 2 min. on the dealer web. :type:

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they were hoping that after any discounts, plus adding on a trade-in they could walk away with paying under 20k for a Taurus. If that's impossible I think they'll go the route of the 300 (a little unfortunate because they are horrible in Iowa winters) since they don't really want a Taurus (but a new 300 that they'd want is about 35k) and the clunkers for cash doesn't apply to pre-owned vehicles.

Thanks for the information though, I think I remember hearing that they didn't use standard EPA gas mileage that it was their own but forgot about that.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusSE @ Jun 11 2009, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731639
One 08-09 Limited in Dark Ink Metallic w/Black Leather and Moonroof please, thanks.[/b]
Don't have one of them, but I could locate you one. I do have one on the lot (the blue one above) it's an sel with gray leather interior and chrome wheels, all you would have to do is take off the sel and put on the limited and nobody would know. :lol2: But seriously, a dealer transfer can easily be arranged. Just takes about 2 min. on the dealer web. :type:
[/b][/quote]
Maybe in a couple years :) I was just kidding around, no way I can even afford one right now if I wanna finish up college. I wanna look into certified pre owned or something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 11 2009, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731641
QUOTE (TaurusSE @ Jun 11 2009, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731639
[/b][/quote]
Maybe in a couple years :) I was just kidding around, no way I can even afford one right now if I wanna finish up college. I wanna look into certified pre owned or something.
[/b][/quote]
I here ya. I'm in college also. It's gonna be a few years before I can get something new to. It's very tempting having a 2010 Fusion Sport sitting in the showroom. I catch myself sometimes thinking about that scene from the latest "Gone in 60 Seconds" movie, you no the one where he drive the porsche through the showroom front glass. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in college too, I would love to have a new SHO in a couple years but maybe I could afford a used one by then. Until I get one, I think I may be trying for an MTX swap.....that'd make a nice compromise :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts