Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having an Intermittent idle surge and cleaned the IAC let it dry out (Used Carb Cleaner) and reinstalled. After reinstalling the idle surge was even worse and just want to confirm what I already had thought.

IAC was bad and gunked up, but while dirty problem was not as bad and after cleaning just made the problem worse with now clean but bad IAC now idle surge is constant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously? I disconnected the IAC and completey removed it. It is quite impossible to clean that specific part with it on the motor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that after I cleaned it for 15 minutes to reset the codes. It idles fine within the first minute or two of start up and then progresses to idle surge till it finally dies. I'm thinking the IAC was bad and the symptoms were not as bad until I cleaned it and got alot of carbon out. So I'm thinking I just made it more easy for it to fail since I cleaned it out. Just wanting a few more opinions before I start replacing parts.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
FWIW - I've never had great success in cleaning IAC's. Yeah, it may work for a day or a week, but soon enough you're right back where you were or worse.

If it's time to take it off to clean it, it's time to get a new one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did order a used working one from RCM Automotive yesterday for 20.00 so I kinda figured that it was going bad. I just hear from so many that these never fail so I was kind of curious, that is why I cleaned it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
What is the TPS voltage when the key is on and the engine is off?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know have not checked. And the lack of a Volt Meter since my tools were stolen recently is not helping my situation either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah just have not gotten around to it. but I am just going to replace the IAC and go from there for now. I have 2 more months before spring hits and I can actually drive it so I'm in no big hurry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts