Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So reading thru some Wallstreet rumors and millings. There seems to be talk of a Merger inbetween the big 2, and how it will be needed to combat against the FCA merger with Renault.

A Ford And GM Merger Is a Possibility?

Although I personally dont ever see it happening, and is more likely to happen inbetween Nissan or Mazda and Ford (since they were bed partners before) before it ever happened with GM.

But I have been wrong before.

Fords US market share has dropped by 17%. Where GM's has stayed at a flat 0%. Staying flat, although not good for business growth, it also means you arent loosing business. But 17% loss.. Thats huge in a market with this much competition. If a merger did happen, some names would have to go. Buick? GMC? Lincoln? Cadillac? Maybe even the staple brand names.. Ford? Chevrolet?

The bailout that Ford took back in the market crisis under Obama's administration was quite a bit different from what GM and MOPAR took (and Yes, Ford did take a bailout, just different because of government contracts). How did GM recover so well, and pay back the bailout, where Ford has steadily declined, although the bailout was payed back.

But then again, this could all be rumor mill, and it never happens..

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
The Renault-FCA merger isn't happening, which is a shame if only for the fact that we could have had a lot of "Axis of Subprime Credit" jokes.

Analysts make this stuff up to sell to the suckers who buy it from them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I work for G.M. Having said that, I am not an insider by any means, but a merger isn't likely. G.M. shed unprofitable operations in Europe, Australia, and Asia, while Ford continues to bleed overseas. G.M. is betting the bank on electric and autonomous vehicles and leads the industry in these areas. Cheap gas is killing Volt sales. Pickup trucks and sport utilities are our bread and butter, hence the discontinuation of sedan production.
How did GM recover so well? As per the terms of the "Bailout", the government forced them into bankrupcy, relieving debt and liabilities to stock and bond holders. The government deemed Chrysler unable to stand on it's own, and required the sale to Fiat. Ford is a publicly traded closely held company. The Ford family are the largest stockholders.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can't see it happening if only for anti-trust issues.

Note that the article is written like a trump speech - "a report is going around," "Talks of a Ford and GM merger," "Reports indicate that GM is better regarded under CEO Mary Barra, while Ford CEO Jim Hackett isn’t well regarded in the industry,"

What report is going around?
Were there talks and if so, when and with whom?
What reports indicate such regard?

Yup, I could be wrong as well, but I'm betting the same as White Falcon - all just some analyst needing to fill up their time card.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
mcsteven
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing