Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SHO bumper on my GL wagon and I am less than impressed w/the foglights. They glow, but that's about it. I have done research and seen where guys have installed $400 fog lights, or $10 little oval deals.

I would like to retain the stock housings. Can you put a brighter bulb in? upgrade the wiring?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
HIDS ALL THE WAY! vvme hid kit for fogs cost $60+ shipped $70 at most. can not beat that in anyway.

i have 3k hids and will be getting rid of them for 10k's to match the headlights, the whitish blue glow is just too good, although my car does appear to be a is300 in the distance....

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HIDS ALL THE WAY! vvme hid kit for fogs cost $60+ shipped $70 at most. can not beat that in anyway.

i have 3k hids and will be getting rid of them for 10k's to match the headlights, the whitish blue glow is just too good, although my car does appear to be a is300 in the distance....
[/b]
I know nothing about HIDs. did a saerch on Ebay for vvme hid kit and got nothing. Do they fit in stock housings?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
yes they fit and install in less than 20 minutes, go to vvme.com and order your bulb number, for the most bright go like 4-6000, i like 6000 the best for brightness, and 10k for blue look, 3k for yellow and above 10k you start to cross the rainbow....

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes they fit and install in less than 20 minutes, go to vvme.com and order your bulb number, for the most bright go like 4-6000, i like 6000 the best for brightness, and 10k for blue look, 3k for yellow and above 10k you start to cross the rainbow....
[/b]
Do you blind drivers coming toward you?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I saw a single beam kit for $40 that's not too bad. I will have to look into it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Some ppl on SHOForum bought HID fog lights here.

I've seen pics and they look really good.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some ppl on SHOForum bought HID fog lights here.

I've seen pics and they look really good.
[/b]
I'm sure they do - but $400? So what's the difference between $400 and $40 foglights - besides the lenses?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
HID Foglights are USELESS in fog. Their real use is as DRIVING LAMPS. To be used on High Beams Only to supplement lighting. They are also used in trail trucks for supplemental lighting as well.

Stick with Plasma Yellow bulbs from PIAA they are WAY better than HIDs for Foglamps. Otherwise.. HIDS ROCK for High beam supplements... BIG difference.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/piaa/p...yellow_xtra.jsp

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
thats why i went with a 3000k hid fog kit, its only $60 bucks and is way better than anything else, and definitely way better than PIAA's. and if they are yellow (which 3k is) they are totally useful in the fog, although even though they are fog lights who actually uses them only for driving in fog? my fogs are almost brighter than my headlights!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
That's because your headlights are 10k...which are very "ooh ahh" but useless for actual visibility.

There's a writeup on superhighoutput.com for using Blazer driving lights in place of the OEM lamps...it looks almost factory, and the lights are under $20/pair at Walmart.

It's technically for a Gen 1 but it should be similar: link

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's because your headlights are 10k...which are very "ooh ahh" but useless for actual visibility.

There's a writeup on superhighoutput.com for using Blazer driving lights in place of the OEM lamps...it looks almost factory, and the lights are under $20/pair at Walmart.

It's technically for a Gen 1 but it should be similar: link
[/b]
Interesting. Wonder why those 55w lights are brighter than my stock crap?

Why so you say 10 HIDs are useless for visibility?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
About 4100-4300k is closest to broad daylight and what comes on virtually all OEM setups.

10000k is more like dusk - it's much more blue/purple and not as useful to the human eye for visibility. They definitely glare for other people on the road, though.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
mine dont glare at all compared to my contour, that car glared! but for some reason i was not impressed with 10k's on the taurus/sable headlight, i will agree 10k is not that bright on this style headlight (it was on my contour) i would go with 6000-8000 if i were to get them again.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might try to check walmart for thos fogs.

I need new headlights as well, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on the HIDs OK, so I would be best to go w/new headlight covers (mine are faded and have water in them) and an upgraded halogen light?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might try to check walmart for thos fogs.

I need new headlights as well, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on the HIDs OK, so I would be best to go w/new headlight covers (mine are faded and have water in them) and an upgraded halogen light?
[/b]
Went to walmart today and I dont think those blazer fogs would fit in the 92. They seem too big.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts