Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can I fabricate fog lights. I have a 93 sable and I want to put them in those cut outs but I can't find anything that will work. It has to be possible to fabricate them somehow I just am not sure of what matterials to use. I know I need some sort of plastic shell, a reflective inside and a lense. I can snage the wires of a wreck and use some sort of factory bulb. I don't want super bright fogligts. I want them to be as bright or dimmer than my headlights appear to be. I don't need to be told I can't do it because I know it is possible. I just want sugestions on how to do it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
How about finding an old headlight assembly, cut off the front lense, then cut back the reflector part a bit, then use acrylic to make a new lense, and then put it together and then try to make a mount.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
How much would a headlight assembly cost from teh junkyard? I don't think it's too much. And I don't think acrylic is tht expensive. I think they sell that at Home Depot or a similar store. Wiring is not that expesive either. But if you're truely broke, then just draw a picture to visualize how to do it and do it when you have money saved up or something.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
You could always get a set of decent foglights that are smaller then the cut out, mount them so they would be flush with the lip of the bumper, then using fibre glass you could basically fill in the area around the liight, and after an immense amount of sanding painting etc... you would have a pretty cool set up

·
Registered
160 Posts
How about using a reflector and housing from a large enough flash light. You can put any bulb in there you want as long as it doesnt get too hot for the housing to melt if it plastic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want cheap, go to Wal-Mart or somewhere like that to get foglights, they're pretty cheap and they have a bunch of different kinds, so you can get the closest size possible without mods or fabrication.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Tuba Freak@Mar 9 2004, 05:31 PM
If you want cheap, go to Wal-Mart or somewhere like that to get foglights, they're pretty cheap and they have a bunch of different kinds, so you can get the closest size possible without mods or fabrication.
I check those but I want them to fit in the cut out portions. thats why I am asking how to fabricate because I can't find any small enough.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Mar 6 2004, 02:48 AM
You could always get a set of decent foglights that are smaller then the cut out, mount them so they would be flush with the lip of the bumper, then using fibre glass you could basically fill in the area around the liight, and after an immense amount of sanding painting etc... you would have a pretty cool set up
great idea but my original problem here is I can't find any smaller than the cut out.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Wait, how big and how deep are the cutouts? I think we can better help you look for the lights that might fit them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the actual holes are about 2"x2" round. Than one side goes strait for and the other slants out toward the side of the car. the front after an 1" is about 2"x3" but the 2"x3" like I gave referance to above is not centered over the hole. I don't want these light to be brighter than my headlights and I wantthe bulb to be replaceable.

I was thinking mabey I could use factory fog lights off a different make of vehicle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Catz XLO's fit with a small mod to the bumper in the "hole". It is the only lamp that will fit and simultaneously provide good lighting (and lighting it does well; be prepared to pay well for a set).

All those tiny round lamps on the ricers are for looks only.

A cheaper option would be to mount a 90mm hella low-beam lamp behind the hole (enough room? Can't remember - sable long gone). About $100 for two lamps. The best oem lamps on the market.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The XLO's, BTW, will end up mounting through the hole, and sit in front of the hole, in it a bit. They do not stick out too far, and almost look as if they were meant to be mounted there.

I tried the XSL's first, mounted behind the hole, but the light output was not acceptable. The XLO's perform much better. You just can't get decent light out of a very small reflector with automotive bulbs. I also mounted a set of MSP's on either end of the raised section in the center of the bottom of the lower valance. They also needed some grinding/sanding on the valance for a good looking fit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Catz XLO are 70W lights. headlights are 55W. I think you missed this from above.

Properly aimed, it's doubtful that the foglights will acutally appear brighter than the headlights to anybody, due to the markedly different beam patterns.

The fog lights should have a much lower point of aim and vertical cutoff than the headlights (low beam).

The operative phrase is "properly aimed". Except for OEM lights, I seldom see any accessory lights properly adjusted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts