Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a used FOB? When I link it to my car, will the old memory be wiped out?

Rephrased, if an FOB for Car A is linked to Car B, will it no longer work on Car A? Common sense says yes, but just want to confirm.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Fob

Can I use a used FOB? When I link it to my car, will the old memory be wiped out?

Rephrased, if an FOB for Car A is linked to Car B, will it no longer work on Car A? Common sense says yes, but just want to confirm.
Thanks.
As I understand from the manual, the car learns to talk to the fob. For my '03 Sable book, it says the car can learn to talk to 4 different fobs. It treats them all as equals. (as opposed to my Lincoln that sees different fobs doing different things as in memory seats)

So you can teach two or more different cars to talk to the same fob.

Hope this helps.

Happy and successful fobing.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I made a mistake and my car fob opens my wife's car (and my car). Is there a way to remove the link between my fob and wife's car?

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Guessing on Fob

Thanks for the explanation. I made a mistake and my car fob opens my wife's car (and my car). Is there a way to remove the link between my fob and wife's car?
From the book, it says to have all fobs ready to do in one session. I believe (guess) that is when learning a new one, if forgets all old ones. So if you have two fobs, you have to do both in one session. You have 20 seconds of inaction before it saves and quits.

The procedure sounds like dreamed up by a computer geek!
Cycle the key 8 times in 10 seconds.:lol2:

Try and see if it works this way.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.......I believe (guess) that is when learning a new one, if forgets all old ones..........-chart-
I also guessed so and picked a remote and (without checking if it was for my car) programmed it to wife's car. Now it opens both mine and hers. Apparently, a car computer does not lose the memory of previous fob.

I now have a remote that opens her car only. It's on her key chain.
I also have a remote that opens both cars. I don't carry it because I may accidentally leave her car unlocked or trunk open.

I really need to sever the link between my fob and wife's car. Any help?

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I also guessed so and picked a remote and (without checking if it was for my car) programmed it to wife's car. Now it opens both mine and hers. Apparently, a car computer does not lose the memory of previous fob.

I now have a remote that opens her car only. It's on her key chain.
I also have a remote that opens both cars. I don't carry it because I may accidentally leave her car unlocked or trunk open.

I really need to sever the link between my fob and wife's car. Any help?
I would re do her fob to her car and see if it dismisses your fob.

Happy fobbing.

-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts