Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently aquired 97 Taurus GL power steering fluid smells burned and appears ugly brown. First time I opened the hood I noticed that the top of the power steering pump cap was full of fluid as if somone had poured fluid on top of the cap. Fluid was a little low. I suspect that there was a vapour lock in the system and the fluid burped out through the little breather hole in the cap. What is the best wa to flush the system and replace the fluid without getting another vapour lock?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You probably have two straight tubes running underneath the radiator.
One is finned one is not

One of them is the trans cooler one is the power steering.

Here comes the fun part. Ford apparently changed which one does what from year to year.

Take the top off of the power steering resovoir and have a friend watch it.

Undo the hoses one at a time .

When the power steering resovoir starts draining that is it. Let it drain and fill it back up and run it and do it again.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,

How much fluid do you think I will need to do the flush?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If it is as dirty as you described. I would buy the cheapest atf you can and flush it a couple of times before you put the expensive stuff in it.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Isn't the ATF a tranny fluid? Just wondering?

Frank

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes, ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. Ford power steering units call for Mercon ATF (minimum standard); however, Mercon V is a superior product and can be used, as well. Mobil 1 ATF is Mercon rated and Amsoil ATF meets Mercon and Mercon V specs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts