Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 LX Vulcan FFV 125000

Recently purchased from the SC Dept of Trans through asurplus auction. Unit has been well maintained.

Q's: Manual as well as sticker in engine compartment recommend 5w30 motor oil. Service manual suggests 5w20. Under "specifications" section TCCA suggest 5w20 synthetic blend. What are advantages/disadvantages to each? I currently am running 5w30. Is that a problem?

Coolant is suggested as "green" and "not orange." My car has orangish looking coolant (I plan on flushing shortly). What about the coolant that advertise "compatible with all colors." Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Some people prefer 5w-20 some don't...after reading this thread: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64845 ...I decided to put 5w-30 in my car instead of 5w-20...I was using 5w-20 motorcraft synthetic blend for a while and it worked great...but I heard you could get a slight mpg increase by switching to full synthetic...so I figured I'd try it and went with 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Haven't had it in long enough to notice any differences.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
5w30 is much better for a pushrod engine, 5w20 is only recomended for fuel mileage reasons. I switched mine off 5w20 as soon as the warranty was up, no changes in mpgs, but I only use synthetic oil in mine. Some Ford master techs call 5w20 "brown water".

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I use 10w-30 synthetic blend.. And for the coolant, if it requires the green stuff, flush out the coolant system and replace it with green colored coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I use 5w20 Mobil 1. Love it. Keeps my motor clean and I've run it for ~20k miles in my car with no problems.

I see nothing wrong with any fully synthetic motor oil. No one debates the value of a 10w30, everyone seems to agree that it is a good oil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
5w20 is for fuel savings in a tighter tolerance newer motor. The manufacturers have all switched to lighter oils to squeeze a half mpg out of their engines.Your motor has 125000 miles. In order not to burn as much oil and protect the rod bearings I would run 5w30 . your mileage is going to be about the same plus you have a little more protection. If you find out that the motor does not burn any oil switch to synthetic.
green coolant is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
118K here and with 5w20 I'm about a half quart low every 5k miles. Perfectly normal. Just saying, all cars use a little oil over time.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
On my Accent I switched from 5w20 dino to 5w30 synthetic and picked up 1-2 mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran Mobil 1 10W-30 (very hot texas summers) Extended Performance till about 13k miles. I think it could of lasted more but i was just paranoid and switched it out ha ha. I used a Fram Extreme Guard filter till about 8k miles and just replaced it with another after that (7.5k mile protection). I do alot of city driving, and the occasional redline jaunt or high speed run on the highway and had NO problems, even at the higher miles. I just wish i didnt have to buy an extra qt. (Duratec 30's need 5.5 qts.)

Think it ran smoohter, not as rough or course sounding with full synthetic, so i highly recommend it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (2k1duratec @ May 26 2009, 04:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728050
I ran Mobil 1 10W-30 (very hot texas summers) Extended Performance till about 13k miles. I think it could of lasted more but i was just paranoid and switched it out ha ha. I used a Fram Extreme Guard filter till about 8k miles and just replaced it with another after that (7.5k mile protection). I do alot of city driving, and the occasional redline jaunt or high speed run on the highway and had NO problems, even at the higher miles. I just wish i didnt have to buy an extra qt. (Duratec 30's need 5.5 qts.)

Think it ran smoohter, not as rough or course sounding with full synthetic, so i highly recommend it.[/b]

Do you think the smoothness came form the fact it was synthetic or that it had higher viscosity?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (allenzachary @ May 29 2009, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728828

Think it ran smoohter, not as rough or course sounding with full synthetic, so i highly recommend it.[/b]

Do you think the smoothness came form the fact it was synthetic or that it had higher viscosity?
[/b][/quote]

I live in Columbia SC (our city's official motto is "Famously Hot;" I'm not sure about the famous part...but they got the "hot"right.) Is the 10W30 OK during the winter? We average 40' and 50's, but occaisionally dip into the 20's. Do the low temperatures cause a problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (allenzachary @ May 29 2009, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728829
QUOTE (allenzachary @ May 29 2009, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728828

[/b][/quote]

I live in Columbia SC (our city's official motto is "Famously Hot;" I'm not sure about the famous part...but they got the "hot"right.) Is the 10W30 OK during the winter? We average 40' and 50's, but occaisionally dip into the 20's. Do the low temperatures cause a problem?
[/b][/quote]

it seems to run a little better with the full synthetic, im guessing because synthetic is not as thick as conventional oil. Plus i feel safer with my driving style using the slippery synthetic oil,especially with our crazy hot summers too. Seems like our winters are about the same, however since i use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, i use the same 10w30 year round and basically do 1 oil change a year since ive had my car. If i didnt use synthetic, i would probobly drop to the thinner recommended 5w20, just for winter.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (allenzachary @ May 29 2009, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728829
I live in Columbia SC (our city's official motto is "Famously Hot;" I'm not sure about the famous part...but they got the "hot"right.) Is the 10W30 OK during the winter? We average 40' and 50's, but occaisionally dip into the 20's. Do the low temperatures cause a problem?[/b]
I usually run 10W-30 synthetic in my 2000 DOHC...everything AOK even when it was 30 outside in the morning.

And yes...it gets HOT here...I learned that last summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts