Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help on my '96 GL wagon. Behind the front passenger tire I have a fluid leak that I suspect is a pinhole leak in one of the fuel lines. It drips after the car is shut off after being driven. I haven't been under the car since I discovered the leak on Thursday, its been too wet, and I can't use the garage either to get under it until next week sometime. I haven't looked at the leak with the car running, but I have noticed an increase in fuel consumption on my last couple of tank fills. My usual is about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks per 55 Liters or so of gas (yeah, its canadian! Over 55$ to fill it now! :eek: ) Now the car is on the low end of that 1 1/2 week period, possibly averaging 8 to 12 days or so. Is there a connection in the fuel line near the firewall that may have loosened, or should I suspect a hole in the line itself? If the line, how hard to replace? (I am NOT going to patch that!) If a connector, any specalized tools needed?

Thanks!

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
yeh, it verywell could be, but..... I think that it'd more do it when the engine is running then when it is off

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't tell what it smells like, been raining for 2 days... You'd think this was Florida or something... The weather is supposed to clear by Monday.
Are the fuel lines routed on the passenger side of the car, or on the driver side?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
They are routed on the passengers side.........

could it be brake fluid???????

hmmmmm gotta think.... but again yes, it's on the right hand side of the ehgine compartment

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think its brakes, not near any lines, at least to the front wheels, and on opposite side of the car from the master cylinder. The brake feel hasn't changed any either...

I will know more once the weather clears. If it is the fuel line, how hard is that to replace? Do I have to do the entire line from the pump forward? Or are there splices in it already that I can replace it between? My Chilton manual doesn't show how the lines are routed through the frame for this...

Whats a good type of piping for this? Metal, I assume? Steel or Aluminum?

·
Registered
6 Posts
A stupid suggestion, but one worth considering.. have you been running your AC? That sounds like about the area of the car where the compressor is, and the water it pulls out of the air would be dripping in about that spot. It always leaves a puddle after you shut the car off, and could probably account for the increased fuel consumption as well.. just a thought?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assumed that would normally drip from the coils? Also, this drip -seems- be be back farther from the engine, almost under the passenger seat, if it dried up last night, I will take a better look later today.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
after those drips make a spot in ur parking place .. move the car far away and throw a match on that spot on the floor... B)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts