Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm the proud owner of a 1995 Taurus GL, and I'm looking into a new exhaust set up. I've currently got stainless steel 3" in/outlet Dual Tip Pilot muffler, and I'm looking into redoing my exhaust with 2.25" piping from the flex, back, with a Y-Pipe and either hanging another Pilot, or adding two 40 series flowmaster mufflers, but I'm not quite sure on the sound of these mufflers. I'm also in the process of purchasing a SHO rear bumper, and I think the flowmasters would be a nice touch with stainless steel tips. All comments welcome, thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I belive the general consensus around this place is that Flo 40 series mufflers sound really really good on Tauruses. It will sound beefy.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Oh heck yea man. Flowmaster 40 rocks! I just got mine installed like last wed. Looking at duels within the next couple weeks. Want to hear what it sounds like on my 96 Sable? well ok then. Matter of fact, i'll link so you can see it on a vehicle too. dont like how they put the tip on though... Have a look see! I plan on getting some pics and more sound/video clips up so everyone can see the work (spoiler, fogs+spot combo, the blue lights, my car accelerating away, doing 90-100 by...,etc.) on my car.

*edit* By the way, the spoiler wasnt installed at the time, is now though. looks better. And i do plan on raising that muffler closer to the frame. but 40's and lower outside isnt helping that activity along <_<

·
Registered
26 Posts
ick floooowmaster??? theyre good if u want the old school deep rumble on a V8, but i hate them so much, they have sooo much drone and its annoying as all hell...my 90GT 5.0 stang had 1 chamber flows on each tip when i got it...god i couldnt even hear myself think while driving! let alone hear anything outside!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe, more like music to my hears, maddhatteroo7. It gives off a distinct sound of powwwwer which my vulcan so desperately needs. Besides, makes the ricers think twice about being demolished by my little ol' Taurus. . . . :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was thinking about trying to get dual flowmaster 40's, but after a trip by a local muffler shop, I took a look at the dynomax setup... much higher total HP boost, and the sound is supposed to just be wild... but it definitely requires resonators.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Trickt, which Dynomax mufflers have you got/ are going to install? I'm looking into every GOOD possibilty before making my final decision. Actually I've been hearing nothing but good reviews as far as Dynomax goes, but not sure on which mufflers to purchase.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
i have a dynomax 40 series with a pilot 3" stainless steel tip on my 95 se. i love the sound it puts out. its beefy down low, and gets the perfect amount of light rasp in high rpm. its beautiful. and gets loud when i step on it, more so than flowmasters, maybe next time jason comes to mi we will have a loudness/quality contest.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I didn't actually check out the sizing, but Dynomax 40 Series sounds about right... I'm still fighting to reset my odometer... I'm not paying Ford several hundred dollars to send the odometer off to somewhere in the boonies to get adjusted...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my 97 vulcan, with no resonator. It sounds good at low RPMS. A little raspy after 3500 RPMs. It's all good though, just don't rev it up past 3000 in park or neutral because when the rev limiter kicks in you'll sound REAL stupid. Imagine a raspy exhaust stuttering as the engine constantly revs then drops.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i am putting on the dynomax welded series saturday morning. i will have before and after sound clips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Flowmasters are a good deal for the money.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Heard flowmasters 40's sound great on vulcans and that magnaflow's sound better on duratec's
If you go for flowmasters definetly buy yourself a new resonator, itle make it sound alot better

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I do have sound clips of my 1991 SHO with SS Y-pipe and 4 Magnaflow mufflers. One muffler/resonator just after the flex pipe. One next to the gas tank and split to two in rear stock locations. The clip contains startup idle a few zings to 7,000 - 7,800 rpm; my rev limiter is set at 8,000rpm. I just need to know where/how to post the clip. 4.65MB uncompressed 666Kb zipped.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts