Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I don't want to go through the trouble of swapping out my driver's seat for one with more lateral support and still match my interior, I'm thinking of installing a 4 or 5 point race harness to better keep me in the seat for autocrossing and "spirited" driving. Can anyone recommend a harness?

Edit:
It appears the minds over at SHOforum have previously milled this one over. For street cars with out cages they recommend the Schroth Rallye 4 harness. It's a 4 point, the lap bolts into the stock seat belt bolt in the front and the shoulders extend to the rear seat and bolt into the lap belt bolts there. The harness is designed so that it can be unclipped so the rear seat is still usable. It is also DOT legal. I would've deleted this post but with the added info I figured it'd be good info for anyone else with this question.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What the heck are you doing in a Taurus where you're needing a set up like this. I run several road course track day event's a year in my late model Vette' on Hoosier R6's and easily get by with the stock belting set up. 4 pointer's would be nice, but is a daily street car and doing it right, requires carving the seat's up and installing belt passage grommet's. The Vette seat's are pretty supportive though, so mabe not fair to mention. You can check on the Pegasus Racing site, as they've got just about everything.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
What the heck are you doing in a Taurus where you're needing a set up like this. I run several road course track day event's a year in my late model Vette' on Hoosier R6's and easily get by with the stock belting set up. 4 pointer's would be nice, but is a daily street car and doing it right, requires carving the seat's up and installing belt passage grommet's. The Vette seat's are pretty supportive though, so mabe not fair to mention. You can check on the Pegasus Racing site, as they've got just about everything.
+1
get some SHO buckets or used Recaros. It is only a Taurus...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The harness is only $180. Cheaper than buying new seats. The reason why I'm thinking about this is I have a bad back, bulged disks, and the lateral forces tend to wrench things a bit.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The harness is only $180. Cheaper than buying new seats. The reason why I'm thinking about this is I have a bad back, bulged disks, and the lateral forces tend to wrench things a bit.
Find a new hobby like stamp collecting then! LOL! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Mount a bar across the b-pillar and use a five point, other wise the stock belt should suffice. I have back problems also and do several driving events a year and they work well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're definitely going to want to keep an eye on that. Had two friend's with disk problem's an it's not fun. One guy ended up with three surgeries, with the third time fusing. Kinda asked for it, as we'd go fishing for 48" Muskie, and did more lifting than he should have. The other took better care of himself with therapy and exercise and was able to avoid the knife. He's back to skiing out West, but take's it a little easier now. Tracking's lot's of fun, but after seeing what these guy's went through, not sure it's worth it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a lead B-52 mechanic in the USAF, I know all about heavy lifting and awkward positions that cause it to flare up. In fact, it's the job that did this to my back. Once or twice a year I have to see a physical therapist for about a month to get everything back into place but it's all good. This has been going on for 3 and a half years now. As for a 4 point harness, back in my younger days (when I was 18-20, currently 27) I ran stock cars. I definitely know the pluses of having a seat belt that actually holds you to the seat that way you can concentrate on driving. That was just making left hand turns so it's even more critical when the lefts are combines with a lot of right in immediate succession. I find that the factory seats in my '06, while comfy on a long drive, offer no side support and the stock seat belt, even while locked, does an entirely ineffective job of holding me in the seat. This in turn requires a tight grip on the wheel and reduces the precision of my driving. Now, some have suggested a more supportive seat but the problem I have with that is I don't like being locked into one position when I'm taking my car cross country. Also, a different seat won't necessarily match the interior. With this reasoning, a 4 point that can be unclipped and moved out of the way when not in use makes more sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts