Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyway to remedy this? it drives me crazy! I had not knowing the EXACT amount of fuel and only getting an approx amount.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't think so, b/c i know some of those models have floating gas gauges. I just want to know if it is something that can be remedied or if I'm stuck with it

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine fluctuates a little bit, no more than by 1/8th of a tank, with hard cornering and accelerating. Is this what you are referring to?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah. like if it's like 3/4 tank, it'll float above and below the 3/4 mark and stay still at times

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't think it does. what would I have to do to add one if I can?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
anyway to remedy this? it drives me crazy! I had not knowing the EXACT amount of fuel and only getting an approx amount.
If you've been using high sulphur fuel, it can corrupt the fuel senders contacts & cause such mischief.
Chevron claims that it's Techron Concentrate Plus can tidy up fuel sender corrosion & wake the sender up again & regular use of their or Texaco fuel which also has Terchron in it will prevent sender corrosion problems.

I noticed the other day that Advance Auto has the 20oz Techron on a 2 for 1 special this month if your of a mind to try it. If you have Chevron or Texaco fuel available, run most of the current tank out, add the Techron at the pump before filling up with either of their fuels so you get good mixing.
This will also raise the treat rate 10X above pump gas alone & will often bring results in one tank.

Even if the fuel sender contacts aren't your problem, the Techron will tidy up the fuel injectors, intake valves, piston crowns & heads of deposits, so you'll likely have some positive gains for the expendure of some of your time & gold!!!!

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Most likely is an electric issue (bad contact probably).
+1 for Techron Concentrate Plus. Hyundai and Mercedes do recomend using it in their cars too.
Polybutene Amine (PBA) and Polyether Amine (PEA) are two chemical technologies originally developed and patented by Chevron to help clean harmful deposits from carburetors, injectors, valves, and ports. Although commonly found in most consumer fuel system treatments, PBA still leaves behind combustion chamber deposits, preventing an engine from being restored to its original performance.
Not only does Techron Concentrate Plus have enough PEA to help remove deposits from your fuel system in one tankful, but it also can clean and protect your fuel system sensors from sulfuric buildup – the root cause of many faulty fuel gauge readings.
Our Fuels: Fuel Additives: Techron Concentrate Plus

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Fuel gauges are typically very inaccurate things. The newer ones use a bunch of averaging algorithms to display a steady gauge. The older Ford ones do move around a bit during accelerating and cornering, as well as on hills. If you want an accurate reading, look at if after it's been sitting on level ground for some time or check it after you've been driving at a constant speed for like 30 seconds or more. If you're looking at it between stop signs in town it will be all over the place.

You have to also consider the reserve built into american gas gauges. At the bottom of the empty mark you still have about 10-15% left or about two gallons. At any rate, by the time it's touching the empty mark you should know what gas stations you're driving to.

+1 on the Techron. Definitely can't hurt to put a 20 oz bottle in and fill 'er up. Run it down to almost empty to get the most effect. I do this every 5,000 miles cause I like clean intake valves.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Fuel gauges are typically very inaccurate things. The newer ones use a bunch of averaging algorithms to display a steady gauge. The older Ford ones do move around a bit during accelerating and cornering, as well as on hills. If you want an accurate reading, look at if after it's been sitting on level ground for some time or check it after you've been driving at a constant speed for like 30 seconds or more. If you're looking at it between stop signs in town it will be all over the place.

You have to also consider the reserve built into american gas gauges. At the bottom of the empty mark you still have about 10-15% left or about two gallons. At any rate, by the time it's touching the empty mark you should know what gas stations you're driving to.

+1 on the Techron. Definitely can't hurt to put a 20 oz bottle in and fill 'er up. Run it down to almost empty to get the most effect. I do this every 5,000 miles cause I like clean intake valves.
Gages are as you said, kind of like idiot light. Ford uses a slosh filter in the electronics to keep the needle averaged out. If you start out on an incline it will be off and you can see how long it takes to average out driving. Older modles were not so good. My '87 Sable, digital dash, would give a low gas light it is was parked on an incline and below maybe quarter tank. The gage showed empty for a few miles then it gradually got OK.

I had '96 Lin and when near empty, 25 miles to empty by the dash, I could only get 14 gal in a 20gal tank. Garage replaced the unit under warrenty and then it was good. Everything I have owned had some reserve built in but that was way too much. I only ran out of gas once in my lifetime. (i'm 71) so guess I am paranoid.:lol2:

Happy motoring.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Gages are as you said, kind of like idiot light. Ford uses a slosh filter in the electronics to keep the needle averaged out. If you start out on an incline it will be off and you can see how long it takes to average out driving. Older modles were not so good. My '87 Sable, digital dash, would give a low gas light it is was parked on an incline and below maybe quarter tank. The gage showed empty for a few miles then it gradually got OK.

I had '96 Lin and when near empty, 25 miles to empty by the dash, I could only get 14 gal in a 20gal tank. Garage replaced the unit under warrenty and then it was good. Everything I have owned had some reserve built in but that was way too much. I only ran out of gas once in my lifetime. (i'm 71) so guess I am paranoid.:lol2:

Happy motoring.

-chart-
The last dash i had apart, the anti slosh module was on its own little circuit board in the dash cluster. It essentially integrates the input from the gas tank sender so the gauge does not bounce around a lot

My driveway is at least a 25 degree angle where i park my Gen 3
my gauge always reads low for awhile upon first start until i drive on the flat road.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pulled the gauge cluster and it does have an anti-slosh chip

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem my fuel gauge needle would vary up to 1/4 tank.

So in reading this thread, I used the Chevron Techron stuff and it has improved dramatically. Varies about 1/8 of a tank now which I suspect is close to normal since averaging is part of the game here.

A cheap fix, gotta love those.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my manager at work got to looking at it and it even got him puzzled (one of the service managers at a ford dealership). pulled the chip and started the car, then drove it around the lot a few and the needle stayed at 1/2 tank. he looked at the cluster to see if he saw anything out of the ordinary and didn't see anything.

just incase it may be a bad chip, I'm gonna go to the local pull-a-part and see if they have a cluster to get another chip from.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Is this by chance a Flex Fuel vehicle????

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, thank god it's not. i heard they get sucky gas mileage, and even worse if you use the E85 in it

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
They also have problems with their fuel gauge module causing erratic readings!!!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hit the local pull-a-part today (since our parts guy at work told me the slosh chips are not available anymore) and scored pretty well... found 3 Anti-slosh chips (could have gotten a few more, but those were in the ones where you had to remove the radio trim to remove the cluster trim and didn't feel like doing all that)

but one of the chips was yanked from a SHO!!

also found 3 driver's side reverse light housings to replace the one that was broke on mine.

so running total for 3 slosh chips and 3 light housings..... $51! one housing ALONE would've cost me $125 from work

1 - 20 of 29 Posts