Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Spy guy (brad?) had posted:

You could have warped the new ones if your calliper is not floating correctly(pins are jammed up).

Is this an easy fix? Are those pins covered with those small boots?? My brakes make a "Gooooonk" :angry: sound when I release them...

I sprayed wd40 the other day into those two small boots on the caliper.. and the sound wsa gone for a few days.. started again.. So is the fix to remove those pins and grease them or something? :unsure:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yup, the boots cover the pins; but, this time, use the right stuff instead of WD-40: they make a caliper pin grease specifically for that application.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. caliper grease... so is that a spray that I can stick it through that boot & spray...

stupid mechanics at the brake shops.. when they do brake job they dont do finer things.. :( :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
79 Posts
actually wd-40 is prolly the worst thing to put in there. It will actually thin the grease and make it run out of the boot. I use bearing grease to lube the bolts and it must be done at every brake job. And no you can't just spray in there. Ford charges 53 dollars for the caliper bracket and I have the reciept to prove it. Alost a boot kit runs about 10 bucks and pins are 14 for a pair. I highly reccomend that you fix this asap or you'll be spending as much as I did. if the pins are stuck in the bracket then you can use a vice and a pipe wrench to break the old bolts out. Just make sure you don't snap the pin like I did and save the bracket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suggest spending $20 and replace the slider pins and boots while you're in there. Get the proper lube too as suggested above. They sell little packs for about $1 each. Also clean your brake parts before you assemble them. Don't go cheap on brakes.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I do this myself. I guess IIRC, there are two bolts that hold the caliper... so do i just remove this to gain access
huh.. i guess its hihg time I get a haynes manual... :(

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
just ask...and ill be glad to explain.

DO NOT use wd 40.... upll the pin out...all the way, the boot just pops off. then wipe all the greese out of the hole the pin goes in and off the pin. use new molly grease or calliper grease. pack it in, pop the boot back on and stick the pin back in. Then your all set. the greese is what allows the pin to float.

I had a locked up one on the rear that i fixed not too long ago. I ended up haveing to sand some of the rust off the pin cause the grease all dissapeared. If the boot is riped....replace it.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts